Loire Valey or Burgundy

Jan 25th, 2003, 08:53 PM
bruce johnson

Loire Valey or Burgundy

After visiting Paris and Normandy, would you recommend exploring the Loire Vally or Burgundy if you could only choose one?

Jan 25th, 2003, 09:47 PM
Francophile

I love wine and would go back to Burgundy. Beaune is wonderful especially on market day. The Loire is great too and if you want to see historic chateaux its the place. Amboise is a beautiful and central place to stay. Both areas need cars to really see. Your choice depends on what you want to do there.

Jan 26th, 2003, 08:29 AM
Bob_C

If you are after classic chateaux then you want the Loire Valley. If you want vineyards and medieval villages then you should go to Burgundy.

Jan 26th, 2003, 09:29 AM
francophile

Thanks for the information. We were in Tuscany last year, and Burgundy sounds somewhat similar. The Loire Valley may be more of a contrast. Any specific hotel recs in Amboise or Blois?

Jan 26th, 2003, 10:23 AM
steve

My wife and I stayed in Blois, and were totally unimpressed. It was dirty (rats in the river) and seemed quite seedy, at least where we were, which was the mercure. I would recommend Amboise though, it is very beautiful and quaint. Beaugency is also very nice. The Abbey there is across the street from the Loire and the restaurant gave us one of the 2 best meals of our lives!!! Back to your question though. Having been to the Loire twice and Borgogne once, I long to go back to Borgogne. Vezelay is beautiful. Burgundy is a very beautiful place. You can find a small town and stay there your entire trip and be happy. The Loire requires driving to many places to see many things. I liked both, but my heart has been in Burgundy ever since I left there 18 months ago.

Jan 26th, 2003, 11:06 AM
John H

Hi, Bruce,

I have been to both areas in the last 3 years. You absolutely cannot go wrong with either.

If you are tilting towards the Loire Valley, Amboise is a great base. My favorite hotel there is Manoir Les Minimes: www.manoirlesminimes.com. It's literally about a 5 minute walk into town, has room views of the chateau and Loire River, and has delightful hosts. High-season rates start at 105 euros. We thought the deluxe rooms were worth the extra money. You can easily see Chenonceau, Chambord, and Amboisechateaux, and can even make a fairly easy trip up to Chartres if desired.

In Burgundy, Beaune is just a delightful town and base for exploring the region. It has decent shopping, great restaurants and a wonderful Saturday morning market. Hotel Le Cep is a superb place to stay (double rooms starting around 125 Euros, I believe), and has a location within the peripherique, so you can easily walk everywhere in Beaune.

Have a great trip.

John H.

Jan 26th, 2003, 01:26 PM
Michael

You have not indicated any time frame. Of course, Burgundy is only one more day's drive, but if time is short, that counts. I would choose the Loire over Burgundy, but either has its own pleasures. In my mind Amboise is more centrally located than Blois.