paris taxis: how short is too short??

Old May 4th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

paris taxis: how short is too short??

hi fodorites,

we'll be taking the RER from CDG to saint michel. our apt. is located on rue jacques callot in the 6th. according to google maps, this is 0.7 km away by walk or 1.6 km away by car. DH and I will both have suitcases (hopefully empty, but still large-ish nonetheless). ideally, we will just walk to our apt. however, just in case our bags are too heavy, we'd like to catch a taxi at the taxi stand near place saint michel.

i have read numerous threads about taxis in paris refusing trips that are TOO short. so, is this distance TOO short of a distance for a taxi to accept the trip? if so, what other RER station could we go to that would be close enough to minimize the taxi fare but also far enough that a taxi would accept the trip?

thanks!!

lilaki
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:48 AM

I believe there is a 5 Euro minimum for Paris taxis. I think you should be able to walk .7 km - that's about a 7 minute walk. You'll probably be able to walk it in much less time that it would take to drive. I remember taking a taxi from the Fragonard shop to the Odeon Theatre which is about the same distance driving. The driver didn't refuse to take me but then there are some very surly Parisian cabbies. Who knows what you'll encounter.
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:55 AM

I've taken taxis for various short distances and have never heard a complaint from the driver. You might pay a minimum fare. I know it is 5.50 Euro after a certain time in the evening. Just get in , sit down and tell him where you want to go. They will not throw you out into the street.
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

hi adrienne,

tks for letting me know about the minimum fee.

i think we should be able to walk it as well. however, we're spending a few days in barcelona before heading to paris ... and while we pack extremely light, i also know we travel with empty suitcases for a reason! so, if we're loaded down when we arrive in paris, i'd still like the option of catching a taxi.

is it 'gauche' to bargain/negotiate with a taxi driver before hand? i.e. offer him 10 euros for the trip?
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

hi avalon,

tks for your advice ... i'm just hoping a taxi driver won't be overly cranky once our bags are loaded in the car!
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:58 PM

Unlike London, in Paris you generally get in the taxi before announcing your destination. Highly unlikely, as avalon said, that you will get chucked out. If the driver tries, that's the point where you can offer a bit more.
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:02 PM

The taxis have a meter, just make sure he turns it on!BTW in London, do not annouce your destination, get in and he has to take you where you want to go!
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:54 PM

It's like any city, and unpredictable. Most drivers will take you and some won't. I've had taxis refuse to take me a mile in my hometown (Wash DC), even when I had on a suit and heels and was carrying stuff for a conference. I've had a taxi refuse to take me about 1.5 km in France at a train station, saying I should walk it. And I had luggage.

So there is no prediction, but I wouldn't try it for a couple blocks. I think when I have been refused, I did tell them before I got in, though, didn't think about that or if they asked me or what.
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:57 PM

>

The taxis are metered so you don't negotiate.

BTW - you will be charged for each bag; I can't remember how much.
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:58 PM

oh, BTW, I believe the minimum charge is now 6 euro, and there are some charges for luggage in the trunk and some charges at train station, I believe.

I would never try bargaining with taxi drivers, I think it's crass and in your case, I can't imagine why a driver would accept that as the fare could run over depending on traffic. If you are concerned about even getting a taxi, I don't think you should try things that could irritate them.
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

hi everyone,

thanks so much for all of your comments/advice.

if our bags are weighing us down, we'll try to take a cab. if not, then we'll walk. at least i know the option is there.

lilaki
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:47 AM

The 'tarif minimum' is marked inside every taxi. Of course if you have suitcases in the trunk, there is an extra charge for that (also marked in the taxi).

It is illegal for taxi drivers to refuse a short trip, but that doesn't mean that some won't do it anyway.