Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris - Suggestions please for a romatic restaurant on a civil servants salary.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother will be in Paris with his girlfriend in a few weeks. He'd like to take her to a nice romatic restaurant that is within the budget for a New York City fireman. My wife and I have been several times, but we tend a bit towards the extravagent when it comes to the romatic spots. I know several nice bistro's, but I'm not sure they'd qualify as "romantic."

I was thinking of suggesting L'Orangerie on I'le St. Louis as I thought the food was very good, and the price wasn't exorbitant.

Does anyone have a favorite spot, within the 1st through 8th, that serves great food and oozes the "international language of love" at reasonable prices.

Thanks.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 05:08 AM

My old favorite restaurant is Chez Julien, in the 4th, corner of 1 rue Pont Louis Philippe and 62 rue de l?Hotel de Ville.. Telephone 42-78-31-64. Closed Sundays. These days it will cost 45-60 euro each, not counting wine. You can spend less if you order the fixed-price menu. It is simple but pretty and quiet, with very good food, lace curtains at the windows. Not very dressy, but not jeans. The restaurant had a short appearance in the film ?The Accidental Tourist? when William Hurt was briefly shown dining there. It's tucked in on the right bank, around the corner from Hotel de Ville.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 05:30 AM

http://www.iht.com/IHT/DINE/pw122096.html
Pile ou Face is a romantic and lovely restaurant. We haven't been there in over 2 years, but I don't think it has changed much.
Small, cozy with candles and good food.
This is a review from Patricia Wells that I found for you!
Hope this helps, anything I can do for one of our fireman is a pleasure!!!
Scarlett
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:00 AM

topping for Ryan and our Fireman!

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 05:41 PM

(Scarlett: Please tell how you put that flag up there! Are you using html formatting?)

Ryan:
There's a wonderful little restaurant across from Notre Dame on the left bank. We loved it so much we went back for our last night. It only has about 10 tables, so reservations are a must. We had one of the window tables, looking out on the night-lit Notre Dame....breathtaking!

The owner is a charming man from Sardinia who serves up wonderful Italian wines and dishes (NOT spaghetti!). We had kir royales, bottle of wine, starter course, veal piccata with salad, dessert and brandies for under 100 euros (for 2).

After dinner, just stroll right across the pont to the Ile St. Louis.
PONTE VECCHIO, 65 quai Tournelle (01 44 07 27 34). Almost directly across from the Pont Archeveche.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 05:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
There is a wonderful new book out by Thirza Vallois, "Romantic Paris" lists, with pictures, restaurants, parcs, hotels. quote: We come to Paris as to a stage on which to enact an episode of our love life, but before we know it, we find, to our astonishment, that it is Paris herself that has gotton under our skin.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 06:10 PM

Jeanne

http://www.fodors.com/forums/smileys/

Scarlett and ((&amp)