Search

PARIS SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2003, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PARIS SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!

Hello New Cyber Friends...
My sister is treating me to five days in Paris, Sept 20-25! We are having a hard time finding out some details in terms of, Paris on a shoestring! Does anyone know the answers to these questions?

We are staying in the latin quarter at HOTEL MINERVE. We want to do these sights from that location:
Louvre
Musee D'Orsay (or the other one where the most impressionist paintings are..Marmotan?...any suggestions there?)
Eiffel Tour..Arc de Triumph..Champs Elysee
Luxembourg Gardens
Ile St. Louis (for ice cream!)
Notre Dame
De Gaule Airport (to/from)
Versailles for the day

Should we purchase the five day metro/bus pass? Or just go ala carte? There are so many offers we are not sure which would be the least expensive.

Also...what is a must see if we go to versailles for the day? Do the gardens take all day or the castle. Can you do both? Then there is a museum too? It is very confusing. What do you recommend?

Thank you.
Julie Cochran
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 07:55 AM

Your plans sound good. You are lucky to have a sister who is so thoughtful and giving! I think you will find that buying carnets (10 metro tickets) will work well for you during your visit. You should be able to do the Versailles trip in 4 to 5 hours if train schedules permit. Enjoy your time in Paris.

BC
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 07:58 AM

Just came from Paris...do not miss the musee d'orsay,,it is wonderful..Renoir, Monet,VanGogh and more. Pompidou was great as well and the Notre dame is spectacular...enjoy!
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 08:06 AM
ita

Most of the places you want to visit are walking distance from your hotel. I always buy a carnet of tickets (which is 10 tickets) and if that is used up I buy another. You see much more by walking above ground. In the metro you sometimes have to do a fair amount of walking. It is good for when you are in a hurry, but not practical for short distances. The Marmottan is too far to walk but very worthy of a visit. It is a smaller museum in a lovely district. On the way we found a Japanese run pattiserie which had nice light meals and absolutely no smoking. The museum pass is excellent value. You do not have to spend a ton of money on food-try Rue Mouffetard. Versailles is lovely-would take most of the day and is easy to get to. I was particulaly impressed by the gardens and the queen's farm. I am not sure I would spend one of only five days there if it is a first trip to Paris. My preference would be Monet's gardens at Giverny. Have a good trip
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 08:28 AM

Get yourself a Rick Steves book. I know many people on this board think him too basic but for first time visitors, it is great. His book will tell you what passes to get, etc. Also, go to your library and see if you can check out his video on Paris (actually, there are a couple). Probably too late to order one from his web site for you.

My best tip for the museum pass is to purchase it at the Arc de Triumph where there are no lines and then pass up the lines at the D'Orsay and Louve.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 08:58 AM
ira

Hi,

Lucky you.

I'm not sure that it is a good ide to take a day away from Paris to visit Versailles on such a short trip. I suggest that you save it for next time.

Here are some helpful websites:

Map http://www.multimap.com
Info on CDG http://adp.fr/webadp/[email protected]
http://www.paris.org/Accueil/Airport/

Batobus on the Seine
http://www.batobus.com/english/qui.htm

Public transportation in Paris
http://www.ratp.fr/index_eng.htm
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 09:03 AM
ira

Ooooops

A great place for Sunday in Paris, have brunch, visit the museum, take a walk through the Parc Monceau.
http://www.musee-jacquemart-andre.com/jandre/

SACRE-C?UR DE MONTMARTRE
http://www.sacre-coeur-montmartre.co...nfos-prat.html

Musee Marmottan
http://www.marmottan.com/uk/sommaire/index.htm

Versailles
http://www.chateauversailles.fr/en/

Have a great trip
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 09:57 AM

You can eat on a budget in Paris, even if you 'splurge' on one or two dinners...
Buy sandwiches, crepes, quiches etc from walkaway counters...go to the asian deli on rue de la harpe (I think) - it is near the EasyEverything internet cafe. For a cafeteria-style lunch or dinner, find the Flunch cafe at les Halles shopping mall (has street entrance) - you can choose from salad bar, fruit bar, hot entrees w/ fries and vegetables, fountain drinks (ice!) etc. and eat well for $8-10. Also, try a neighborhood grocer (epicerie, supermarche) to buy picnic items (cheese, fruit, cookies, whatever) and bread from boulangerie.

Musee Marmottan - take metro to la Muette, and walk through nice park to get to the museum. I don't remember a lot of signage, might have to ask someone. Print a map from www.mappy.com showing the address b/c most Paris tourist maps don't display this area. (2 rue Louis-Boilly, Paris, 75016). As you walk into the park, once you see a big statue of a man with a fox looking up at him, then keep going and veer toward the right a little. The basement is full of beautiful Monets... the rest of the museum is more like a manor house with furnishings and some paintings by other artists.

The Impressionist art at Musee d'Orsay is on the 3rd floor, but the rest of the museum is very interesting as well.

Get to the Eiffel Tower by 8:30 to be close to head of the line for tickets. Ignore all the peddlers that will approach and cajole you to buy souvenirs - get your souvenirs where you can compare and take your time (there are a couple of decent ones on the block that runs to the side of Notre Dame, I think one is called Esmerelda).

Champs-Elysee is downhill if you take the metro to the Arc de Triomphe first, then walk toward the Louvre. If you can make it up the stairs (about 300?) at the Arc, you can get a nice view over all the traffic underneath, and of the city. There are some shopping malls, cafes, and a park along the Champs, but nothing really charming as such. It's about a mile or maybe mile and 1/2 from the Arc to the Louvre. The Jardin de Tuileries is very nice, with the round pond (toy sail boats) and flower beds.

The Louvre is very large (understatement!) - even with the floorplan/map, it is confusing. Either choose 2-3 must-sees and find them, or just plan on wandering until you overload. You will never see it "all". There is a food court underneath as well as some nice shops.

You can buy the Carte Musee (ie. 3-day pass for 30Euro) and see these museums with it:
Arc de Triomphe (museum at top, but not the elevator to the top)
Musee d'Orsay
Louvre
Versailles (if you go)
(and others, but those were the ones you mentioned that are covered) http://www.intermusees.com/wwwie/index.html
Even if the pass costs a little more than summing up the entrance fees, an added benefit is that you can go straight to the entrance (security check), show your card and go inside (while others are still in the line to buy a ticket). Plan the days (they must be consecutive) around the days museums are closed, usually Monday/Tuesday. Buy the pass at a major metro station or at the tourist office on Champs-E. near the Arc.

Jardin de Luxembourg is one of my favorite gardens. It's very large - find the Medici Fountain (to the right of the senate house), see if any children are playing with the toy sail boats, and just have a nice rest.

You can reach Versailles by taking RER-line C7 from St Michel to Versailles-Rive Gauche. Do not get on the wrong train - watch the overhead signs that 'flip' or light up showing Versailles R.G.. When you reach the stop, exit the train station, turn right and walk to the main blvd. Look left and you will see the palace a ways off (but walkable). Always hang on to your RER ticket -you usually need to insert it into a gate to exit.

The easiest method to reach your hotel from CDG is a taxi - this is also the most expensive (could run between 40-55Euro). If you take a taxi, the meter will start from where the taxi left to come get you (not an issue at the airport, but might have a few euro on it when it arrives to pick you up at your hotel for the return to the airport). Also, they might charge a euro per bag that goes into the trunk. And you should tip the driver 10% or so.
You can reserve the Parishuttle to pick you up, about 17-18 Euro per person one-way. http://www.parishuttle.com/
The cheapest, but most confusing, way is to take the RER - you can search for that on this forum (I haven't done it yet) and also read this explanation: http://www.davekinkade.com/roissy-cdg-rer.htm

Be aware of your surroundings in crowds and on the metro - there are pickpockets. There are plenty of people who don't think it's necessary, and plenty who agree with me - I wear a moneybelt under my clothes to keep passport, plane tickets, most of my cash etc safe. I just take out some spending cash and 1 credit card to carry in my daybag. If you use a backpack, you should watch each other's and make sure no one rifles them in a crowd. Don't set your things down at a cafe without hooking your let into the straps or something like that.

Now after giving you that warning , have a wonderful time in Paris..!
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 10:05 AM

woops, that last sentence should say 'hooking your LEG into the strap'...
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 10:15 AM
ed

Julie your are really lucky.

Agree whole heartedly about the Marmottan both the museum and the district. The park is named the Ranleagh - very English - how come,

As alternative to the RER suggested is to take the RER from the left bank f'r instanceInvalid and take a train starting with V Vick.

The fountains are on on Sunday.

Bon Voyage
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 10:32 AM

You can do plenty of things in 5 days, including all on your list. Get the carnet of tickets like others suggest, also the 3 day museum pass. At Versaille, you can give it 5 hours and see the main stuff. Add Monmartre to your itinerary as well. Food is so abundant and central to the way of life over there, you can surely find things in your budget, eg. Rue Cler, Bon Marche food market. Cafe's are relatively expensive and they're everywhere. Go to the eiffel tower any time. if you must go to the third or top level follow the suggestions, but frankly, going to the second was pretty cool and special enough for us (and only around 3 (euros). Its an easy city to get around and do things. have fun.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 10:34 AM

sorry. I meant the cafe's are IN-expensive.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 10:35 AM

I would bypass Versailles on such a short visit as well as any other out-of-the-city trip. The Museum pass can be purchased at Metro stations. You can use a credit card also. I don't think I have seen the Rodin Museum on the lists but don't miss it. It isn't too far from the Eiffel Tower. You can eat quite well on a budget in Paris. For a guide book consider the Michelin Green Guide, particularly for planning your trip to the Louvre and d'Orsay. Don't forget to enjoy one of the outdoor markets or market streets--buy your lunch of baguette, cheese, and wine and take it to a park bench or bridge and enjoy the moment. There is a good market on Sunday mornings at Pl. Monge.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 12:54 PM

The RER will take you directly from CDG to the St. Michel station. From there it is a short walk to the Hotel Minerve. From the St. Michel stop go up the Boulevard St. Michel, left on the Boulevard St. Germain. At the Place Maubert angle right on the Rue Monge and then turn left on the rue des Ecoles.

As other have mentioned, many of the sights you wish to see are within walking distance of your hotel. Don't pass up the Ste Chapelle and try to see the Musée Cluny. The nearest market is on the Place Maubert (Mon., Wed., Sat.) and you will want to go over the hill to see permanent rue Mouffetard market. Markets are a great place to pick up lunch stuff.

Old Sep 6th, 2003, 01:35 PM

hi julie,

I am going to be the dissenter here. buy the paris visite, which is the paris metro pass. you buy it at any major metro station and get the 1-3 zone, 5 day pass. it is great! you don't have to worry about buying the carnets or running out. the paris visite is one ticket that you use over and over again.

I loved it! I kept it in my travel purse and used it all the time. it paid for itself within 3 days.

the cost of the book of carnets is about 10 euros (thereabouts). and is good for 10 single trips thru the metro. (this means that is it good for one one-way trip to and from any station within your zones. you do not have to pay a transfer. you do have to use another ticket to return or go somewhere else if you leave the main underground.

based on my last trip i would have had to buy around 4 books cost would be around 40 euros. Instead I bougth the paris visite for about 26 euros for 5 days and good zones 1-3. and did not have to worry about change or money for carnets anymore.

I personally think if you are going for 5 days, that you should consider the metro card.

Old Sep 6th, 2003, 05:57 PM

For a first-timer to Paris, Rick Steves' Paris book is great, and not heavy to carry around. He is especially good at basic information, transporation hints, etc. And for museum visits, well worth it to have his book with you!
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 06:18 PM

Also: a very good laminated map of Paris can be found called "City Flash- Paris" by Hallwag International. It might be hard to buy in person; if so, then an excellent street map can be found at any bookstore for about $8 - "The Paris MapGuide" by M. Middleditch, gray cover w/ Arc d T on it, about 5x7". I've had mine for eight visits now, and it's never failed me. (but Musee Marmottan still won't be in it)
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that you may want to skip Versailles on a short visit. I also agree that getting a Museum Pass will save you a huge amount of time in lines. The Metro pass will be of value, too, if you expect to use enough trips per day to save compared to carnets of 10 tickets. Break even is about 4 trips per day. But Paris is for walking. Also watch out: In central Paris the walking associated with a Metro trip is longer than the distance between two adjacent stops, and a transfer adds the equivalen of anther stop to stop distance underground.

Your location is great. We stayed a few blocks away a couple of years ago and loved the area. Easiest cost effective way to and from CDG is by minivan airport shuttle which can be booked in advance over the internet(google on Paris Airport Shuttle to get the different suppliers).

You will be 2 minutes from a shopping square with a street market 3 days a week and every day there are all the shops you'll need for picnic supplies: A great cheese shop, good cheap wine, fruits and vegetables, bakery/patisserie, prepared foods and sandwiches, etc. Then walk a few blocks to Cluny Museum of the Middle Ages, where there is a nice garden with wide benches, perfect for a picnic. Inside, Cluny has medieval artefacts, illuminated manuscripts, ruins of a Roman bath and Roman sculptures, and, not to be missed, the incomparable Unicorn Tapestries.

You can walk to Notre Dame in no time flat. Nearby is the St-Chapelle (spelling?), with stunning stained glass, the best in the world on a sunny day.

Restaurants in the area include Buisson Ardent (very highly recommended by me and by users of this site) and l'Atlas, with fancy but not pricey North African fare.

You may want to go to the top of Samaritaine Department Store for the free spectaular view of Paris up and down the Seine and across all the rooftops of Paris (only one bank of elevators goes there -- ask). The view is much better than that from the top of the Arc de Triomphe, by the way.

Don't miss the Monet Water Lillies in the lowest level of the Orsay. And if you like Monet, don't miss the Marmotan.

The big "Gardens" (Luxembourg, Bois de Boulogne) are probably not too interesting for a first time trip. You will be in walking distance of the Botanical Gardens, but who knows what the heat wave did to it.

Old Sep 7th, 2003, 05:07 PM

OK - here to help!
I was there in May and will be back in December - all on a budget...

1. Buy baguettes!

2. Visit market places selling fruit and veggies. Store them in your room to snack on.

3. Walking is a beautiful and cheap form of entertainment. Go everywhere. Don't worry about getting lost - there are maps everywhere. At bus stops, metro entrances, etc...

Research your hotel thoroughly. Get in a good area (near city center) and remember that a 2 star hotel is in comparrison to a motel 6 in the US. Clean with no frills.

I booked a trip through France Vacations (www.francevacations.net)
GREAT VALUE! Depending on where you fly out of, but it can be cheap. I Flew from LA to charles de gaulle on Air Tahiti Nui (FAB airline!) stayed in a 2 star near the central part of the city - all @ 1300.00 (2 people)

Take the RER from the airport into the city for @ 7.00 per person (train located downstairs at the airport). It's much cheaper than a bus or taxi. And it's easy. Just find the official Metro website and research your stops into the city (what metro stop, time table). It's scary at first, but you can do it. I think there is a tourist booth in the airport - they can help.

I found the DK travel book "Paris" to be the best guide - and I have dozens of paris guides. It's beautiful to look at and mighty helpful.

I'm a young woman who does Paris on her own - you can do it too! Hope this all helps!
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 05:10 PM

also - coolest website: live webcams in paris...

www.parispourvous.com