Search

Paris>Strasbourg: private driver?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2022, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris>Strasbourg: private driver?

Hi All,
Can anyone recommend private driver companies/services for getting from CDG to Strasbourg? Normally we would drive, but after the flight/jetlag etc, standing in line at a pharmacy, thinking our driving not such a good idea. I believe it's about a 4 hour drive, though my husband is hung-ho, I would appreciate all suggestions. Yes the train is direct from Paris but the times aren't working for us (nor the 2 stop options that require a mad dash to another station within 18").
Many thanks!
Peppermint
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 12:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperment
Hi All,
Can anyone recommend private driver companies/services for getting from CDG to Strasbourg? Normally we would drive, but after the flight/jetlag etc, standing in line at a pharmacy, thinking our driving not such a good idea. I believe it's about a 4 hour drive, though my husband is hung-ho, I would appreciate all suggestions. Yes the train is direct from Paris but the times aren't working for us (nor the 2 stop options that require a mad dash to another station within 18").
Many thanks!
Peppermint
Why not catch the direct TGV 61 or 5, takes 2 hours. No changes and twice as fast as a car (if you are lucky, even more if you are not)

I've not done this exact journey with this company but this website works well as a consolidator https://mydaytrip.com/

Last edited by bilboburgler; Feb 2nd, 2022 at 12:27 AM.
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 02:46 AM

I should think closer to 5 hours a more realistic timeframe to drive from CDG to Strasbourg, considering traffic and the eventual stops for fuel and other necessities. You will of course pay for the driver's time and expense to return to Paris. I can give you a list of potential companies which may meet your requirements, but the overall cost may be sizeable:

https://www.bestoffrancetours.com/
- Welcome in Paris
Online Car Rental Services avec chauffeur | Paris Major Limousines international
Services - Maison MASSEY
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 02:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Here's a company for only 730 euros.

Chauffeur VTC Aéroport Paris Charles De Gaulle - Strasbourg | Clic-VTC™ (clic-vtc-strasbourg.com)
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 03:47 AM

just a question, I don't understand hung-ho, but I don't get a lot of US idioms, so what did you mean?

if just a typo then Gung ho is an English term, with the current meaning of "overly enthusiastic or energetic", I'm not sure what that would mean in this context, does that mean he wants to race from train to train or you are concerned that he feels that attitude would do well on a motorway after an 8 hour flight?
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 06:09 AM

I took it to mean that the husband really wants to drive and the spouse is looking for more reasonable options.
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 08:06 AM

thanks kerouac, the spouse is very sensible
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Yes I know about the train (as noted in my post) but it won't work with our timing. Did you find the "mydaytrip.org" reliable, safe and legitimate?
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Wow that's alot of dough....didn't realize it. Might just ditch Alsace.
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by pepperment
Yes I know about the train (as noted in my post) but it won't work with our timing. Did you find the "mydaytrip.org" reliable, safe and legitimate?
yes, but, before covid and not in France
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Hmmmm perhaps we drive...$800 is too much...not particularly wedded to Strasbourg (unless you all say its wonderful). We could take in a rest stop or if a wonderful village (Nancy?) perhaps stay overnight. Ideas? Haven't gotten our itinerary nailed down yet.
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 09:02 AM

If you think Nancy is a village, perhaps you need to study guidebooks a bit more. In any case, the A4 autoroute to Strasbourg goes through Metz instead of Nancy.

I still don't understand why you think the train wouldn't work. Even if you take a taxi from CDG to Gare de l'Est, the train trip to Strasbourg from there takes less than two hours; and there are plenty of trains.
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 09:08 AM

I'm with kerouac on this, driving is just not as pleasant as taking the train and if you have to kill an hour, then kill an hour, eat a meal, grab a shower or just people watch. You are on holiday.
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 10:06 AM

I'd suggest searching trainline.com for Paris to Strasbourg tickets. They have trains (non stop) running about one each hour from Gare de l'Est to Strasbourg for under 100 for First Class. You'd have to get to Gare de l'Est first, but 55 euros gets you both there.
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 11:18 AM

Do not drive after a transatlantic flight. The equivalent of driving whilst drunk, which I hope neither you or your Gung Ho other half do at home. Combined with a strange car, strange roads and different rules and signs it is a recipe for disaster.
If the trains don't work for you, though it is hard to see why they don't, take a day from the end of you trip, and stay in Paris or near CDG to get over your flight before any driving. West to east jet lag can be awful.
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely do not drive yourself!

Please explain why you think that the trains don't work. There are direct trains from CDG, what is wrong with them? Where are you looking for train times?
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Hi Kerouac,
The train schedule doesn't fit with our arrival at CDG. After we land, we plan to go to a pharmacy there (which could be a 2 hour task) for the passe sanitaire. (not so keen on searching pharmacies in Paris or in the countryside where there are fewer).
The only CDG departure time that would work requires TWO transfers, one of which allows only TEN MINUTES to get to the departing station (predicted to be an 8" walk).
The other later departures would require us to wait at CDG until 5:30 pm for the next train.
Hope you understand now.

And please forgive me for calling Nancy a village-have no idea, just heard it was pretty there. I would like to know of a layover (village or town) where we could go for the night and thus would not require a 5 hour drive after a very long flight from SF-CDG, when we are likely jet lagged.

Make sense?
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

But getting to Gare L'Est & getting a train there is an idea...I will check. Obviously I don't want to drive unless there is public transit option that works. Seriously check the train schedule from CDG you will see that the most trains require at least one transfer: not ideal.
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, still don't understand the problem. Picking a random date this month and next, I see direct trains from CDG at 15:20 and 16:07 as well as 17:25. If you think you would just miss the 16:07 you have time for a leisurely afternoon coffee, and you would still save time, not to mention a lot of money, over driving. This is on the SNCF site.
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Trust me. We arrive at CDG at 10:30 am...hanging out til 15:07 is not our cup of tea. 13:00 would be ideal, non-stop. Yes we looked at the SNCF site. My guess is that the train from CDG goes to Gare L'est after CDG, so it wouldn't help.
Let's move on: we will figure it out. Would appreciate your help on a layover between CDG & Alsace (Strasbourg definitely not our first choice as a final destination). We've got plenty of time, in France for a month.
Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -