COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

paris shopping etiquette

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 05:52 AM
browser

paris shopping etiquette

I've heard that it is not good form to enter certain stores in Paris just to browse unless you are pretty likely to buy. Is this true? Is there a way to know which stores discourage browsing (like a window sign or something)?

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:01 AM
Boo

Hi.

Browse all you want. To be couteous, however, you should greet the shop-keeper with a simple "bon jour"; when you leave the shop, it would be rude to do so without again acknowledging the clerk (or whoever) with a "merci" or something along those lines.

You're welcome.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:03 AM
Frank

Do not be discouraged by walking into any store in Paris. When you enter, just say "Bonjour" and smile. If anyone asks if they can help you (they might not assume you are a tourist), say you don't speak French (Je ne parle pas francais) or just respond "Je ne fais que regarder. Merci." (I'm only looking, thank you). Such polite expressions are much appreciated by the French. You may see signs that say "Entree libre" but they are very rare and I haven't seen one for years. Just go in to anyplace that suits your fancy and don't be anxious. It's a cosmopolitan city and you are the customer. Also, when you leave (whether or not you have purchased something), say "Au Revoir et merci" even if you don't think anyone is listening. It shows you are well mannered. Just do it!

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 03:43 AM
wendy

I agree with Frank 100% about the greetings needed to be used, they don't impress anyone when you use them, but they can be offensive if not used...

Although you should be able to browse as you like, I find that the left bank boutiques and the larger dept. stores are the easiest to 'touch' and browse, but if you shop in the right bank boutiques, it is preferred to ask the sales person for help with an item rather than touching... Silly but true.
Wendy

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 09:11 AM
Graziella

Hi agree with Wendi, do not touch the merchandise unless they are on sale tables....some for all kind of stuff like a fruit shop ....( and this goes for Europe in general)