Reload this Page >

Paris Sensitive Question

Search

Paris Sensitive Question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Buzzy

Paris Sensitive Question

I'm looking at appartments in Paris for a break next spring. I really like the area around Notre Damme but have only visited it once in the middle of the day. I'd like to stay there but a friend of mine mentioned that the Marais(which I loved)is Paris's gay quarter. I'm just concerned that my middle aged husband and me might end up in a bar or restaurant and look around and feel like we were the odd ones out. This must really sound offensive and I don't mean it to. I actually find the thought of two middle aged old farts in their slacks amidst all this scene very amusing but I'm not so sure it would work as a break for us. Can Fodorites shead any light on this? What are your recomendations? Thanks.

Old Oct 13th, 2007, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't you just walk back out again?
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 06:37 AM

If that would happen, you can always go to another bar. It is not like you will be tied to your chairs.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 06:39 AM

Just because an area might be all gay or all young or racially mixed, does not mean that those inhabitants are the only people that frequent the shops or cafes etc ..
If you go to the Latin Quarter or around the 7th..you are going to find gay people, people of color, etc.
Paris is a lovely city of people of all sorts..old farts come in all colors and sexual types..have you never seen a couple of old gay farts? lol...
Don't think about it..just enjoy yourself..
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 06:39 AM

Do you actually mean staying ON the island of Ile de la Cite (where ND is located) or on one of the opposite river banks? You could be near Notre Dame and also be in the 5th (aka Latin Quarter) or 6th (aka St Germain)if you were on the Left Bank instead of the Right.

While Notre Dame may administratively located in the 4th arrondissement(aka the Marais) I would say you will not notice any of what you are talking about around there. The area you are thinking of is on the Right Bank.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 07:07 AM
ira

Hi B,

>I'm just concerned that my middle aged husband and me might end up in a bar or restaurant and look around and feel like we were the odd ones out.<

There's nothing anyone can do to help you with that.

You will be in a foreign country.

You will be the odd ones out in any place that is not a tourist haven.

Where, exactly, are you looking?

Old Oct 13th, 2007, 07:20 AM

People say that because there are some gay bars there and maybe more than in some other areas for residents. People say that about Dupont Circle in Wash DC where I live, and it is true to some extent, but I think you are envisioning some cities where there really is an area that is very high-density gay residents and businesses, and I wouldn't choose to stay in those areas myself. A lot of the establishments might not be the ambience you are seeking. I'm thinking of some places like certain parts of West Hollywood in Los Angeles or some parts of San Francisco. However, it is nothing like that in Paris or most cities when people talk about gay areas. I actually find it annoying when someone inevitably pops up to say that in almost any post on the US forum where someone talks about staying around Dupont Circle in DC--warning them about that. I don't even think about it when I'm in that area. It is really a non-issue unless you are a very very sheltered and conservative person who is going to get violent or freak out if you even see someone you think is gay or obviously is gay (and it is obvious sometimes, especially when a couple).

The Marais is NOT all gay as you might have interpreted one of the above posts to say. And is isn't like some gay areas of other cities (eg, Castro District of San Francisco), as you may have been thinking when someone tells you it is the "gay quarter".

Having said all this, what does the Marais have to do with you staying in an apt. around Notre Dame? That isn't the Marais. I guess it depends how close to Notre Dame you mean.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 07:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
If it helps, I believe it would not be unreasonable to say that the closer you are to the intersection of rue Sainte Croix de la Bretonnerie and rue Vieille du Temple, the higher the percentage of the gay clientele in most establishments.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 07:59 AM

1. "The Marais (which I loved) is Paris's gay quarter".

So how did you love it then, if you fear it now?

2. FWIW: The hip gay scene has lately moved North in the Marais - at least 15-20 minutes' walk north of the river.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 08:03 AM

Christina:

Maybe off Buzzy's topic, but...

About 15 years ago, when I probably first could have been described as middle-aged, I spent a couple of days in a hotel near Dupont Circle, quite unaware (and remaining so till just this minute) of its reputation. I didn't notice any homosexual bars - but then I don't think I ever do anywhere. Maybe there's a lesson there for Buzzy, but maybe the area's changed.

But what really threw me was the near-constant presence of helicopters with powerful searchlights. At the time, remembering Washington's high crime rate, I assumed this was an anti-street violence measure to protect (and reassure) us tourists and the legislative community from your normal muggers.

Did I misinterpret the point of all those helicopters?
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 08:44 AM
GerdaFaust

If you're blocked in there with nowhere to run, I'm sure that two middle-aged old farts in slacks can join in on the fun and dance the "bump" (while blowing on their whistles) with the best of them.

Old Oct 13th, 2007, 08:51 AM

I don't know exactly what you might be afraid of by wandering into a gay bar, but 1) you will not be mocked for being there, and 2) it is extremely unlikely you will witness any scenes that offend your sensibilities.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 08:54 AM

It really isn't "territorially" gay: there isn't the defensive need for it, shall we say.

<i>Some</i> bars in particular are obviously focussed on a gay clientele out to pull. The ones you might feel really out of place in are either behind doorbells or so obviously packed with standing drinkers that you can't make a mistake.

Anywhere else is either just very mixed or no-one's going to be particularly bothered about you. Gay-orientated venues are scattered hither and yon in between all the other sorts of businesses, not only in the Marais but in most Paris arrondissements.

My guess is that if you avoid anywhere that the music is too loud for you, you won't feel out of place.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 09:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just take a look around as you enter a bar or restaurant. It's certainly easy enough to see if it's a gay establishment on a quick glance around at the clientele!

No need to avoid the entire Marais

Old Oct 13th, 2007, 09:11 AM
MaureenB

I understand everyone's sensitivity about this question. But, before we beat it to death, let's get back to the real issue: can anyone recommend an apartment or an area in Paris for them? I do think Paris can be a confusing assortment of arrondisements.

Maybe the OP can post some links to apartments they're interested in, and get fodorites' recommendations on their locations.
&gt;-

Old Oct 13th, 2007, 09:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree it is helpful to understand the general idea of the arrondisements (they are a spiral going outward and upward in number).

For Buzzy, Why not stay right on Ile St-Louis? It's one of the two islands in the Seine and looks incredibly charming to me.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 09:46 AM

For future reference, here is Paris' Gaymap (pdf document):

http://tinyurl.com/2x2tyf

Just use the map &quot;the other way around&quot;, so to speak.

P.S. Please don't hold me responsible for &quot;looks&quot; when you check out Paris with the Gaymap in hands ;-)

P.P.S.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 09:47 AM

sorry, I hit the reply button too fast..

just wanted to add:

Your question does not sound one bit offensive to me.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 10:46 AM

Don't worry their are plenty of middle aged gay people around.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 11:15 AM

I stayed in a hotel 1 block east from what I consider to be gay central( a couple of years ago).It was four blocks north of the Hotel de Ville.There was a gay cafe on the corner and it was the place to meet.
You could tell because there were no women and a lot of socializing on the outside at tables.There was no displays of inappropriate or loud behavior.It did not bother me in the least and even my more conservative partner didn't have a problem..
It was interesting because that we may have felt bit of out of place in other areas of the gay world but not Paris.

I just love Paris.The only place I didn't like was <b>between</b> the Chatelet ,Halle and the east Marias where some unruly youths kicked a can at me late one night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -