Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris : Saint Germain, The Marais, or Tuileries Quarter

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Travelnut and everybody else - thank you for your assistance. I can't seem to decide between hotels Le Clement (St Germain), Hotel Les Tuileries (by Louvre), and Jeanne D'Arc (the one in the Marais).
Then, maybe you can recommend a eighborhood? The more research I do, the more confused I get
I like sightseeing, as well as good food. But, sitting for hours in cafes or shopping is NOT my forte.
Thanks,
Agnes

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 08:06 AM

I can definitely recommend the neighborhood that the Jeanne D'Arc is in. I love the Marais and always stay somewhere in the 4th.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 08:15 AM

For my two cents:

The Marais is beautiful and central, I really liked it there. It is much more quiet and there are less tourists than in St. Germain area. St. Germain on the other hands is more lively, more food choices price wise. Louvre is also central - lots of tourist shopping in this area so if that is not your thing you may appreciate the other areas more. The area by the Louvre would not be my personal first choice. I can't tell you about these hotels specifically though, so hopefully someone else can chime in too....

Hard to go wrong in central Paris! Have a great trip.

Murphy
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 08:18 AM

If I were you, I'd find a Metro map and see where the nearest metro station is to each hotel, and see if the line is convenient. (Some of the lines don't get you to very many of the "tourist" sites without connecting.)
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 08:22 AM

What nice choices to have! I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, but my personal favorite is the Marais.

Have you checked to see if these hotels are available? That might narrow things down a bit!
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 10:55 AM

I'm unclear as to what 'class' of hotel you prefer... Jeanne d'Arc is a budget hotel, des Tuileries is more upscale and le Clement is probably in the middle.
If you're expecting 'des Tuileries' ambiance at Jeanne d'Arc, you'll be disappointed. If you go with Clement, be sure to ask for a renovated room.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

I am looking for a nice charming hotel with a style. Let's call it budget plus. I am not looking for anything too spartan.
Anyway, I found a "deal" for Les Tuileries (112 euro per night) with france-hotels.net, and Le Clement for 117 euro with parishotels.com (which is the price I later found on the hotel website)
I have reserved them both, as well as the Grande Hotel Jeanne D'Arc in Marais. So, I need to make up my mind.
Thank you again.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 12:08 PM

Jeane D'Arc is a great location but it is definitely budget NOT budget plus..
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 12:57 PM

"I have reserved them both, as well as the Grande Hotel Jeanne D'Arc in Marais."

Please decide quickly, and cancel the reservations you do not need.

While you wait, others are being told that the one hotel they really want is fully booked. And the two hotels that will lose your reservation have turned away potential customers.

I think that this is why some hotels now overbook.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 01:17 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Clement in December 2004. We enjoyed our stay there but be aware that like most hotel rooms in Europe they are VERY small. It is located on a fairly quiet street one block off Blvd. St. Germain and convenient to 2 different metro stops at Mabillon & St. Germain des Pres. We also used the bus. We walked from there to the Musee d'Orsay and the Louvre. We chose it for the location and because we needed a large room for 4 of us. We found the room very tiny but very clean. We did not take the breakfast there as it was 10E each and there were 4 of us. There is a terrific boulangerie a few steps away called Fabien Ledoux. We also enjoyed the Marche St. Germain across the street. DH thinks he saw Catherine Deneuve shopping (we all need dreams). Other neighborhood restaurants we enjoyed included Chez Fernand. We also liked le Relais d'Entrecote, basically a steak and french fries bistro behind Cafe Flore off the Blvd. St. Germain. There is a great little pizza place next to the Hotel Clement I think it is called Golfe di Napoli. We didn't care for Cafe Vesuvio, very weird atmosphere and the food was marginal IMHO. Be careful stopping for a snack at the big cafes on Blvd. St. Germain. We stopped to people watch and have 2 plain ice creams that cost $20 because we didn't ask the price in advance. There is also a Monoprix (the Target of Paris with a grocery store!) a few minutes away if you want to buy snacks or drinks to keep in your room. There are lots of great places in the neighborhood. We loved sitting in a cafe on the Blvd. St. Germain and people watching. Lucky you!!
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody.
As you see, I made my reservations very early, and I do intend to cancel by Monday, not to tie a hotel for others. That is why I keep on asking all of these questions re: hotels and neighborhoods.
Thanks for restaurant recommendations,as well as other useful tips.
A
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 07:21 PM

aliska did a great job of describing the area and the nice restaurants and cafes nearby the Hotel Le Clement. We were there in March and the exterior of Hotel Le Clement has been renewed. I do understand that their rooms are renovated. At least I believe all are renovated by now but be sure to verify this with the hotel if you book there.

I second aliska's recommendation of Chez Fernand. There are two locations, the closest to Hotel Le Clement is on rue Guisarde which is just on the other side of the Marche St. Germain (across from the Clement). The second location of Chez Fernand is on rue Christine nearby.

For breakfast we found that the Relais Odeon at the corner of rue de l'Ancienne Comedie and Blvd. St. Germain (across from the Carrefour de l' Odeon) to have a nice breakfast with eggs cooked any style you like, baguette, coffee, toast, jam, and butter. It costs just 8.50 euro and they seem to cook at least three eggs per person as the omelette was huge.