Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris/Rome Itineraries - What do you think?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 09:26 AM
Shayne

Hi everyone, I would like to know your opinions on our itineraries for stops in Paris and Rome on our European Honeymoon in May. We will arrive in Paris by train at around noon, checking into hotel in the 7e. We will purchase Paris Museum Cards, so we should avoid many line-ups: <BR> <BR>1st day: <BR>Arc de Triumph <BR>stroll Champs-Elysees <BR>stroll Jardin des Tuileries <BR>Louvre (probably no more than 2 hrs here - it is open late on Wed. which is when we arrive) <BR> <BR>2nd day: <BR>Versailles (leaving early!) <BR>Eiffel Tower <BR>A Nice Romantic Dinner <BR>Night Cruise on the Seine <BR> <BR>3rd day: <BR>Notre Dame <BR>Ste. Chapelle <BR>Stroll the Latin Quarter <BR>Musee d'Orsay (again about 2 hrs here) <BR>Napoleon's Tomb <BR>Dinner <BR>catch night train out at 22:00 <BR> <BR>ROME (arrive by train around 10am, checking into hotel near the Termini): <BR> <BR>1st day: <BR>Forum and Palatine Hill <BR>Colosseum <BR>Pantheon <BR>Capitoline Hill <BR>Spend Evening in Piazza Navona <BR> <BR>2nd day: <BR>Vatican Museums <BR>St. Peters Basilica <BR>Explore Trastevere and dine there <BR> <BR>3rd day: <BR>Ostia Antica (morning) <BR>Piazza del Popolo <BR>Spanish Steps <BR>Piazza Barbernini <BR>Trevi Fountain <BR>dine on Campo dei Fiori <BR> <BR>(we leave the next morning) <BR> <BR>Please let me know what you think. Any suggestions are appreciated. <BR>

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 09:57 AM
rosiec

In Rome, you must try to dine at Costanza in the Campo de Fiori. The best meal I've had, Kind of hard to locate, just ask the locals. It's down a little alley way. You will not be disappointed. Happy Honyemooning!

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 10:47 AM
RJD

Generally, unless you are possed of significant energy and patience, you itineraries are too crowded. For example, you should count on a rela wait at the Eiffel Tower, which after most of a day spent touring Versailles, is not fun. Also the Forum and Palantine Hill demand a full day if you want to do them justice. Cut at least one major activity a day and add some time in the cafes. Don't cut Sainte Chappel. It's one of the great sites of Europe.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 12:03 PM
Howard

I agree with RJD. You have an overloaded schedule! First of all, to really enjoy both Paris and Rome, you've really got to spend time soaking up the environment--the people and the places--and being part of it, and not being on the run all the time. Pardon the pun, but don't be married to a schedule! <BR>Enter into this trip knowing that in no way can you see everything in each city in three days. But, you're young....you'll come back to both cities! <BR>The only one of the six days where you seem to have planned it just right in terms of quality and quantity is the second day in Rome, where you're planning on just the Vatican and Trastevere. That's a great one-day plan! Otherwise, slow down and enjoy yourselves! Hey, it's your honeymoon!

Old Feb 22nd, 2000, 04:18 AM
patty

I would also suggest going to Castle St. Angelo the same day you go to the Vatican. Very interesting, spooky and on the top level a great little terrace with incredible views where you can have a quick bite.

Old Feb 22nd, 2000, 10:25 AM
john

Agree with previous posts that Paris itinierary a bit crowded. Relax and enjoy. Don't forget sidewalk cafe people-watching.........