Reload this Page >

Best London guidebook

Search

Best London guidebook

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 09:07 AM
Kay Mulcaster

Best London guidebook

Could someone please recommend an excellent London guidebook geared to the budget traveller ; must contain good maps and detailed information of the different areas and recommend "must sees" in those areas.

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 09:46 AM
elvira

Let's Go guides are geared for the budget traveler, so-so maps, but excellent hotel, restaurant and must-see recommendations. They describe the different areas (Kensington, Bloomsbury, etc.) in pretty good detail. <BR>For maps, I'd suggest either get them from the web, or ask the British Tourist Authority to send you one. You can always buy one (there are many publishers) but they'll cost you $$, and that's the last thing a budget traveler needs to buy, when free ones are available (if you were driving through the countryside, I'd recommend buying a good Michelin or survey map, but for a city? nope, just download from the web or get the free one from the BTA)

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 09:56 AM
elaine

Kay, I've never seen a guidebook for any city that had wonderful maps, except for the old American Express guides which are unfortunately out of print. If they give you a big fold-up as a freebie, they tend not to have enough small streets listed, and as for the neighborhood maps that they may contain within the book, it is hard to get a sense of the whole geography of the city from them. The free maps from tourist offices don't have enough detail for me either and large fold out maps in general are awkward to use when you are standing on a streetcorner feeling confused. <BR>There is an A-Z guide which you can purchase in London and which many have recommended. I have used "Streetwise London" which is pocket-sized and waterproof and as complete as I've needed it to be. It's very easy to carry and not huge and embarrassing to use. Streetwise covers 90% of London (central London, what most people need) in accurate, legible and complete detail. Your bookstore can order it from Streetwise maps, POB 2219, Amagansett NY <BR>Phone 516 267 8617, or www.streetwisemaps.com <BR>

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 01:08 PM
M & J

Hello Kay. <BR>I am at home today with a nasty cold, so I snuggled up with Rick Steve's London book. The maps in it are not great-they are hand drawn. But as other posters have suggested, Streetwise Maps are a good bet (in fact, I just ordered one of Florence). Rick writes for the budget traveller with varied prices for B&Bs, hotels and restaurants. A "plus" in this book is 'walk' through such places as British Museum, Tate Gallery, St Pauls, Tower of London. Most book stores carry his guides, as does his web site www.ricksteves.com

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 07:03 PM
B

I've been tracking down some pretty small streets in London via the Eyewitness series London guide book, and was impressed. Good photos,good writing, etc. <BR>I bought a copy just touse at home when reading British magazines,newspapers, etc. Dug it out the other day to read about the places mentioned in the movie Nottinghill, too. <BR>BAK

Old Feb 17th, 2000, 03:25 PM
Richard

I also found the Eyewitness guide book quite helpful. The bird's eye views of some of the more popular areas helped me find my way more than once. The cut away drawings of attractions were often more helpful that floor plan maps provided by the attractions. If there is a Sam's Club in your area, the Eyewitness guides are available at about half the list price.

Old Feb 17th, 2000, 03:54 PM
Walter

Finding the "must sees" is easy but knowing what you are looking at is a different story. For historical sites and museums only IMO the "Blue Guide London" is the best, very detailed. Also ditto on the "Streetwise" maps. Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Feb 17th, 2000, 05:42 PM
wes fowler

Kay, <BR>No one guidebook can be the definitive answer for the traveler. Two books geared for the budget traveler to London are Gustafson's "Cheap Sleeps in London" and "Cheap Eats in London". They'll provide you with tips on budget dining and accommodations. Supplement them with the Eyewitness Guide to London which has fine, detailed maps and a map index in the back. (Don't buy it, take it out of the library and use it for planning.) When in London at any news kiosk or tourist information office, pick up a copy of the London Visitor's A to Z Guide. It'll cost around 4 or 5 dollars and is worth every penny. It's about the size of a post card and a quarter of an inch thick, thus handy to carry around. Extremely detailed maps with major buildings identified, tube stations identified and bus routes shown as well as a map of the underground. It lists all major tourist attractions with opening and closing hours, addresses and nearest underground stations. It's truly invaluable.

Old Feb 22nd, 2000, 10:41 AM
S. C. DIXON

I concur that EYEWITNESSONDON is one of the best all round books to have and I take it with me when I'm lucky enough to go. It's pretty good to read on the flight over as well and, although not so very great for maps, it is one of the best all-round books. <BR> <BR>RICK STEVES provides you with some good telephone numbers and down-to-earth information. <BR> <BR>MICHELIN GREEN BOOK of LONDON is also very good. <BR> <BR>You know, with a city like London, where the streets were laid out for basically horse traffic and where a single avenue might change it's name five times in 2 miles, maps seem almost redundant to me, instead I try to get a general overview then explore an area on foot. I always find something great that I didn't even know I was "looking for". Too, it's fun to pop into a pub for a pint and then strike up conversation with the locals about points of interest and how to get there. I've made quite a few friends that way.