Paris Ritz - Afternoon Tea - Vendôme Bar

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the Vend&ocirc;me Bar at the Ritz the only place to enjoy Afternoon Tea? I checked the website &amp; it appears they don't do Afternoon Tea in the Espadon. Just wanted to double-check.<BR><BR>Has anyone here done the Afternoon Tea at the Ritz? And how did you like it? I know there are other places to have tea in Paris that are far less expensive (and I do plan to go to those places, such as Ang&eacute;lina, Ziryab Restaurant at the Institut du Monde Arabe, Mariage Fr&egrave;res, &amp; Ladur&eacute;e) but I just really wanted to try this experience at the Ritz, just once. : )<BR><BR>Thanks in advance ~ MaryC @&gt;-&gt;--&gt;---
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 09:27 AM

From what I've read, I don't think expensive hotels usually do tea in the main restaurant. For an alternative, I think the Crillon is supposed to have a nice afternoon tea and it's not in a bar, but the Jardin d'Hiver room. YOu can see photos of it here<BR>http://www.parisdigest.com/hotels/hotelsframeCRIL.htm
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Y'know, Christina, when I was phrasing this question I had you in mind. Thanks so much for the explanation!! And double-thanks for the recommendation! I will check it out.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 01:22 PM

Beatchick-you can go to the Ritz for a cocktail, I went to the Hemingway bar it was alomst English in feeling, but definately worth it.<BR>Also for tea you could try to hotel Maurice recently re-modeled and quite beautiful, and also Laundree(spl?).<BR>I think there was a recent post, you might want to do a search under Laundree.<BR>Best of luck.<BR>Viva la France<BR>Fluffy
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, Fluffy, I hear the Ritz now has a new cocktail menu in honor of Hemingway's 100th anniversary. The only problem with the Ritz bar though is that it's a place for cigar smokers - and where cigar smokers are is no place for me! : )<BR><BR>I'm going to Ladur�e, too - can't wait!<BR><BR>Think I'll have to put the Crillon &amp; the Hotel Meurice on the backburner and put them on the list of places to go NEXT YEAR (and I DO have that list going already!!). : D LOL!!
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 01:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
It's very beautiful dining on the terrace for lunch. If you can fit it in your budget, it will be one of your most charming spots.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Hi Mimi - which one? The Ritz, Crillon or Hotel Meurice?
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 02:03 PM

Hi Beatchick-please post a report when you return , just to let you know I have been to the Hemingway Bar at least 3 times and there were never any cigar smokers, and believe it or not hardly any cigarett smokers either... FYI<BR>Fluffy
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 02:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The Ritz, it is lovely. with statuary et al, you'll feel you are in the countryside.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Cooool, thanks Fluffy!! I could always just take a peek inside to see if there is anyone cigar smoking. I would like to try one of the famous cocktails. Do you have any suggestions?<BR><BR>Mimi, DEFINITELY I'm having tea at the Ritz!! It made the list 6 months ago! I can't wait - it's one of my major splurges. I'll see if I can't get on the terrace.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 10:58 AM

Hi Beatchick-I am a martini gal, so I am sure that's what I ordered at the Ritz.I did buy a littel silver ice bucket that has the Ritz logo on it, very cool.<BR>Also I went to the George V fot cocktails, it's so beautiful; I liked it even better then the Ritz- it's just my opinion.The Ritz is still worth while, but I think the George V - is even more tastefully done.It's worth any excuse to go if you have time.<BR>Viva la France <BR>Fluffy<BR>p.s. I also love the Lancaster for that old Parisian feeling.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 11:49 AM

Beatchick- this is a postscript to my previous post- just a note the cocktails at the Ritz were really expensive- ($35- for 2 drinks including tip) that said I'd do it again in a heartbeat.<BR>Viva la France<BR>Fluffy<BR>
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Fluffy (I love it - this is my sister's nickname)! Out of curiosity, and you don't have to answer, but how much was the &quot;little silver ice bucket that has the Ritz logo on it&quot;?
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 06:43 AM

Mary<BR>You probably already have it on your itinerary or list, or know about it already, but if not, I just wanted to let you know that the tea room in the mosque is very pretty. <BR>We stopped there for a restful tea break one afternoon with my neice and thought it was lovely. They have some pastries too.<BR>It's very informal and no great choice of menu but very relaxing too.<BR>Have a wonderful trip.<BR>Kavey
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 07:58 AM

PS Fluffy is also one of my husband's nick names - he had his hair cut rather severely once and it all stood on end on his head - so his workmates started calling him Fluffy! LOL! He just grinned and took it on board!
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 08:35 AM

Beatchick-hi it's Fluffy, the story of my nickname, is from the first night I met my fiance he implied I was a snob , and I said &quot;I'm just a fluffy girl&quot;-he's marrying me anyway so there.<BR><BR>The ice bucket at the Ritz was under $45, but that was in 2000- when the exchange rate was much better.<BR>As you walk to the Hemingway Bar, there are many glass cases with gifts and objects to buy, if you do not see it in one of the cases inquire at the bar.<BR>I asked our waiter if it would be possible to purchase one and he came back a few minutes later with one in a lovely box.<BR>Viva la France<BR>Fluffy<BR>p.s. They also sell robes with the Ritz logo, but I liked the ice bucket better
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 09:25 AM
aj

Beatchick,<BR><BR>Have a wonderful trip and report on any tea you have. I have always wanted to go into the Ritz but thought maybe the doorman would keep me out. It is ok just to walk in and take a look? I can't wait for your report. Spring in Paris is wonderful!<BR><BR>aj
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 09:42 AM

Hi Beatchick!<BR> You might want to look into tea at the Plaza Athenee also Tres elegant~<BR>
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 09:42 AM

A few years ago, we wanted to enjoy the atmosphere of the Hemingway Bar but it was closed....mid-afternoon. Does anyone know when the bar is open? We're going back again in April and want to make sure we get one of those &quot;special&quot; cocktails.<BR><BR>Sparty
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Wow - I can just see my trips getting ever loftier with each passing year - next year I'll be having tea at the Plaza Athenee, Hotel Meurice, the Lancaster, the Crillon, the George V, and $35 for a pair of cocktails!! This year this was my one big splurge (well, I'll probably spend $35 or more for dinner but can't imagine spending that much for tea but I'M DOIN' IT!).<BR><BR>So Scarlett, what's it like having tea at the Plaze Athenee? I've seen pics of the lovely courtyard ~ is that where they have it? Sounds DIVINE, dahling.<BR><BR>Sparty, this is the link to the Ritz' website, the Restaurants, Bars &amp; Private Salons link:<BR>http://www.ritz.com/en/R0300.asp<BR><BR>This info below from the website:<BR>&quot;A photo exhibition of Hemingway's life as a war correspondent and a new cocktail menu in honor of his 100th birthday pay homage to the spiritual father of this mythic bar.&quot;<BR><BR>Open Tuesday through Saturday<BR>From 6:30pm to 2:00am<BR><BR>Tel: 33 (0) 1 43 16 33 65<BR><BR><BR>Ha ha, Jane! They might just do that. I read that they do try to keep people out of the hotel. But I read once that if you're dressed nicely and you walk in like you have reservations for tea that no one will bother you. So walk in like you're supposed to be there!<BR>; )<BR><BR>Fluffy, I love your story about your name! One must always be proud to be a fluffy girl. : ) I think I'd rather have an ice bucket, too. Somehow the robe just doesn't appeal to me. Maybe it would if I ever stayed in the hotel.<BR><BR>Mimsy, I take it you've had tea there, too, at the Ritz? I think you might even be the person who inspired me to try it. If so, my hat's off to you!<BR><BR>Well, since I'm having tea at the nearby Ziryab Restaurant of the Institut du Monde Arabe, I can't really justify doing 2 afternoon teas in one afternoon and only plan to be in the 5th one day I'm afraid I'll have to defer a tea at the Mosque to another trip.<BR>St-Cirq, didn't you tell me you had a wonderful tea on the terrace there? I'm afraid it would probably be too windy in April. Who knows - we'll see. Anyway, I can't wait to have lunch with you in Paris this trip! It'll be so cool to finally meet you. And I'm hoping dearly that you'll be able to spare some time to meander thru a street market with me.<BR><BR>Ciao!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -