paris restaurants on or near ile ste. louis

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending a week there. Any restaurant suggestions would be appreciated.
Please indicate the cost of an avg. meal without wine. Ethnic restaurants too!
Take out and bakery suggestions also welcome. Many thanks.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 08:35 AM

Quoting from my Lonely Planet Paris guidebook: "Famed for its ice cream as much as anything else, the Ile St-Louis is generally an expensive place to eat and restaurants are few and far between. It's best suited to those looking for a light snack at one of the lovely tea rooms along rue St-Louis en l'Ile or ingredients for a picnic along the Seine." The book lists one restaurant, Brasserie de l'Ile St-Louis (55 quai de Bourbon), and the famous Berthillon ice cream shop (31 rue St-Louis en l'Ile).
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 08:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Kittie, if you click on my name, my Paris/Venice trip report from May has several restaurants on or near there that I ate at recently.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 08:59 AM

As a Parisian, I think you should not focus only on the Ile St Louis, even if you stay there. The place has become too invaded by tourism to really have good restaurants or at least value.

If you are curious, check a recent and unflattering review on Tripadvisor on one of the area's eating places called Le coupe chou.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 09:12 AM

Just go for the ice cream & a wander...
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 09:24 AM

An excellent restaurant is Mon Vieil Ami at 69 rue St-Louis en l'ile, the street that runs down the center of the island. The phone number is 01-40-46-01-35.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 09:43 AM

Try Le Tastevin which is located across from Berthillon ice cream shop on rue St. Louis en l'Ile. It features traditional dishes, three prix fixe menus, has a cozy dining room, and very patient, friendly owner and waitstaff. www.letastevin-paris.com

It depends on what you are looking for, but we found Mon Viel Ami's cooking to be a blend of traditional and modern.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Francophile-is that a thumbs up or down?
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 10:30 AM

I agree that there is no need to stay right on that island -- I wouldn't even want to, it's too limited in choice and there are lots of tourists. You can even walk elsewhere easily enough. However, Le Coupe Chou resturant isn't on that island, it's in the 5th.

I do have a good Lebanese restaurant recommendation, though, the Taverne du Nil on rue Regrattier, very cheap and good. I don't know cost of avg meal, maybe 20-25 euro.

http://lataverne.free.fr/
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 10:51 AM

If you cross over to the Left Bank from Ile St Louis, there are many good restaurants along the street above the Seine. Montebello has a nice patio and good food, Rotisserie du Beaujolais has good chicken, Les Booquinistes is a nice upscale resto, Chez Henri - Moulin a Vent is a small place with nice french fare. Chez Rene is another good place for french fare. Le Vieu Bistrot on Ile de la Cite was good when I last went.All of these are an easy walk from the Ile. The 5th/6th arr. have LOTS of restaurants.

On the island I used to go to Reine Blanche on every visit, but I believe it is now closed/under new management(?). Also ate at le Caveau , in the valuted basement. Another good choice.

I've used the Michelin Red Guide with success (I don't go to the $$$ choices).

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:30 AM

hellokittie,

Le Tastevin: Thumbs up
Mon Viel Ami: Thumbs down

Also mentioned was Le Coupe Chou and it was thumbs up for me last summer. But it's not gourmet cuisine so don't expect that and you won't be disappointed. According to a couple of recent comments at Trip Advisor the food and service seems to have slipped a bit.

Btw, I didn't care for Mon Viel Ami's fused, inventive (?) cuisine on the whole, but their roast pork dish was pretty good. I didn't like the atmosphere also. The dining area is small, a bit too busy, bright. Just my thoughts. Had a better atmosphere at Le Tastevin where the dining experience felt unrushed, quiet.

Michel_Paris, the Montebello always looked appealing to me. I would like to try it next visit.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:23 PM

francophile03, following your example,I will bravely stand up for the good meal I had at Le Coupe Chou last summer, also. It was not haute cuisine, but we found it to be good, bistro-type food. I hesitate to say this b/c it has been panned so much on here recently, and I will probably lose what shreds of credibility I had re Paris restaurants after this statement!

How about Chez Julien, on the right bank, just across the river from one of the "Iles"? I've never been there, but I seem to remember reading about it on here as a favorite of many.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 03:10 PM

I'm glad somebody finally mentioned Caveau de l'Isle. It's the one restaurant on "the islands" that has been consistently recommended to me.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 04:15 PM

Our dinner at Mon Viel Ami was one of the better meals we had in Paris, so I would recommend it. I do agree that the restaurant is small and the sitting arrangement, all along the walls and somewhat too close to other tables, is kind of cramped. But, the food was very good.

Another winner was Bastide De Odeon in the 6th. Almost the same style of food, but a roomier dining room.

Anna Roz
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 04:16 PM

Hi grandmere, I hope things improve again at Le Coupe Chou. It's been the butt of jokes at Trip Advisor and that's a bit unfair. Again it's not gourmand but just typical, traditional cuisine. Service can be lacking even at Senderens for example.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:51 PM

ttt
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 04:51 PM

Where are Au Petit Marguery and Baracane restaurants?
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 05:32 PM
MaureenB

Yes, Le Caveau de L'Isle is very nice. We blindly wandered into it last June, having been warmly invited in by the man at the door when he noticed our family of four reading the menu. We were so glad we accepted his invitation. It was a lovely dinner, and reasonably priced. The service was very good, and friendly (we didn't speak much French). We ate upstairs, in the back corner, so it felt comfly. I think the fixed price menu was only about 29 EUR apiece.

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 05:38 PM

We had a delightful meal at Chez Julien on the right bank. In fact it was our 42 or 43 anniversary...after all those years , who remembers. We went at the suggestion of elaine..who is banned now.. and we had a delicious meal in charming surroundings.

Le Coupe Choux gets a minus 5 IMO..lovely setting..inadequate service and mediocore food..why would boef bourg. be pale white???

Michel..Reine Blanche has reopened and is still very good.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 05:59 PM

Jodi,
I am pleased to see Chez Julien still pleases. Ten year's ago, my wife and I enjoyed a wonderful meal that we continue to which we compare all others. I would second your recommendation, albeit a decade later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -