Search

Paris restaurant tips

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris restaurant tips

Hi,

My husband and I are going to Paris for three nights in March. We'd love some restaurant tips. We've been to Paris several times and have loved Frenchies.

We're staying in Saint Germain but can of course take a cab anywhere.

Thanks
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 11:12 AM

Have you checked Patrica Wells' guide to Paris restaurants?

www.patriciawells.com/restaurant_picks

She also has an app that you can download, "The New Food Lover's Guide to Paris".
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 11:29 AM

Put Paris restaurants in the search box and you will get a zillion threads.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 12:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
#1 tip -- never set foot in a restaurant, even if has been recommended on sites like this multiple times -- until you have studied the menu posted outside (a legal obligation). Look at the food prices, look at the beverage prices. And then look through the window to see if it is a place that really appeals to you.

Can you only take a taxi to other parts of the city? If so, maybe you can also pay any price for food at random.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 01:22 PM

We studied restaurant recommendations prior to our trip in September. We were shocked, shocked I tell you, that you really needed reservations at most of them.

Do your homework
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 01:58 PM

If you will simply stick to restaurants such as Hippopotamus or Bistro Romain, you´ll never need a reservation.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 02:58 PM

I have two food focused trip reports if you click on my screen name.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 04:40 PM

I'm afraid that some of the suggestions here are off the mark. The OP said they "have loved Frenchies" which by the way, I believe is named Frenchie and Frenchie's.

It seems obvious that they set the bar at least a little bit high, and aren't really likely to eat at Hippopotamus or wander around choosing by posted menus.

I think Patty's trip reports would help.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 06:00 PM

You might check out John Talbots blog. Reliable critiques and advice.

Forgive me, but you have asked a very broad question. Are you looking for traditional French fare/service, cutting edge restaurant of the moment, bistro/comfort food? Have you thought about what you would want or not want to spend per person?

That said, we just returned and here are some restaurants that we went to that we enjoyed:

L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon the one off rue du Bac - pricey (6 arr)
les 110 Taillevent - somewhat pricey, great wine selection by the glass (8 arr)
Bistro Belhara - very reasonably priced, French bistro food (7 arr)
Reed - reasonably priced, menu changes very frequently (7 arr)
Verjus - 60 euro set menu; creative, fresh (1 arr)
Marco Polo - moderately priced Italian (6 arr)

I hope this helps.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 09:59 PM

<<#1 tip -- never set foot in a restaurant, even if has been recommended on sites like this multiple times -- until you have studied the menu posted outside (a legal obligation). Look at the food prices, look at the beverage prices. And then look through the window to see if it is a place that really appeals to you.>>

Outstanding advice.

<<We studied restaurant recommendations prior to our trip in September. We were shocked, shocked I tell you, that you really needed reservations at most of them.>>

I'm wondering why anyone would be "shocked" that reservations would be required at places recommended in "studies" or why you wouldn't just reserve ahead.

Although, many people have reported that "everywhere we went they asked if we had a reservation" so left, when you really didn't need one, they just wanted to know if they needed to cross you off in the book.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 09:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Am I the only person who has noticed on all of these threads that the restaurants that most people love the most are their personal "finds"? Often, when people go to restaurants with rave reviews and are expecting an outstanding experience, if even the slightest thing is "wrong" they feel disappointed, whether it be 'slow service,' 'disappointing dessert' or 'pricey.'
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 06:56 AM

I try not to go with elevated expectations particularly with newer restaurants where I would anticipate some flaws. Several have surpassed my expectations. Most are about what I expected. True disappointments are rare.
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 05:52 PM

We were in Paris in October for a week and one of the places we stayed in the 5th Arr. near Rue Mouffetard. This area is mentioned in Rick Steve's book. Lots of restaurants and shops, etc. We found a nice little place that we ended up going back to several times, Les Caves de Bourgogne (144 Rue Mouffetard – phone - 01.47.07.82.80). I don't think you will need reservations. It is not a fancy place, a pretty typical Paris cafe, but the food was excellent and I did not feel it was terribly expensive. There are many wonderful restaurants in Paris, but we thought this was a great find. I think I wrote a review on TripAdvisor if you are interested.
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 08:18 PM

denisea and Patty
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 04:34 AM
ira

Hey fell,

What's your budget?
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 05:39 AM

Check out the reviews on Les Papilles at 30 Rue Gay-Lussac in the 5th. It is near Luxembourg Gardens and it has wonderful food and service. From Saint Germain we cut through LG, and it was about a 10-15 minute walk from Blvd. Saint-Germain. You will need reservations which can be made by email. We ate there last year and had a great experience. The menu is pre-set - all diners are served the same menu. We thoroughly enjoyed the food and the experience.