Paris Restaurant Reservation Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to e-mail Le Grand Vefour to make reservations for dinner for two on July 6 and was told there were none! They did have lunch available.

My questions:

1) Does it really book up almost 8 weeks in advance?
2) Is the lunch menu the same or different than dinner ?
3) Any tips for getting in ? Should I ask the concierge at the hotel at which we are staying for help?
4) What do you think I am looking to spend for dinner, really? $600 ? $800 ?

Any/all help would be greatly appreciated!

Old May 10th, 2004, 05:53 PM

Mosts of the premium restaurants in Paris book up months in advance. The lunch menus are often similar to dinner menus, but at a reduced price and therefore a relative bargain. Lunch reservations tend to be easier to come by, but again checking well in advance is a very good idea.
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:21 PM

I doubt seriously if they are completely booked for dinner on the 6th, but none-the-less, lunch would be the better option, and cost a little less, leaving you free to explore Paris in the early evening when it can be a bit more exciting. We have dined at some, if not most, of the best restaurants in Paris and the Basque Country of Spain and SW France and have never spent more than 250 Euros for even the most outrageous dinner prepared by the most acclaimed chef. Many were far less expensive, but it all depends on what you want, atmosphere, a truly unique dining experience, or a combination of both. There are a number of comparable, if not better, restaurants in Paris for you to choose from.

If you insist on getting into Le Grand Vefour, then I suggest you visit eGullet.com and ask for help from the pros.
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:51 AM
ira

topping
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:02 AM

You could try the concierge at your hotel, I have always had luck that way. By the way, we attempted to make reservations at Grand Vefour for our September trip and were told to contact them after July 1.
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:13 AM
awbaker

I agree with LoriNY. We had trouble getting reservations at a couple of restaurants, but then had the concierge at our hotel call them with success.

Old May 11th, 2004, 05:26 AM

I am not speaking for Le Grand Vefour, which I think is one of the world's perfect restaurants, but it is possible that they are limiting the number of English-speaking guests they can accommodate (or, wish to accommodate) on any given evening. Not all of their waiters may speak great English, just for one example of a reason. Or, they really may be fully booked at all their tables.

I'd have my hotel try, if I really wanted to go, otherwise try lunch, or try somewhere else.

Your dinner bill will be largely affected by the wine you order, as there are few bargains to be had on the wine list. I haven't been there recently, but I'd count on dinner for two there being an absolute minimum of 400 euro.
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:38 AM

I had lunch there 2 yrs. ago, and it was 72 euro for the prix fixe, plus wine, and I think coffee was extra, too. I reserved about a month in advance. I would think 400 euro would be the minimum for dinner, for two.