Paris questions...

Search

Paris questions...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris questions...

Pardon the ignorance, we don't travel abroad as often as I'd like - but we're workin' on it!

First, my husband has heard from a co-worker that he ought not to even bring jeans to Paris, as the co-worker claims no one wears them, and everyone "dresses up". Is this true, and what about for women (we'll be there Sept 29-Oct7)? Myself, I can't wait to release the fashionista within. Where can this fashion-lover stroll/shop for a halfday (sans husband) to get a sense of Paris's style and take some of it home without going broke?

Second, I see much talk here of making reservations for where to eat well in advance - like even while still stateside. Do we have to, or is there room for being spontaneous while there? We love to explore and just "happen upon" good places - For better/more pricey places I can see calling a few wks ahead, but what about for the middle-range spots - how much notice should we plan to give?

Last - and I can predict a few of the responses I'll get, but I told my husband, who is more concerned than I, that I would ask-- A previous poster referenced that at our hotel, the staff was largely made up of an Arab decent. This does not bother me one bit - go anyplace in NYC, and you'll find the same, plus I grew up in the city and now reside in the Midwest- I fully miss the melting pot. But, he has paid a lot of attention to the declarations by Algerian extremists recently that France is a big target for impending attacks. He almost cxl'd our trip, in fact - (and this is a guy who flys alot for work) - he's worried about the hotel, the metro - you-name-it. What can I tell him to convince him that we'll be fine?? I want him to enjoy this experience as much as I know I will- and if he's freaked out the whole time, he will simply miss it.

Thanks, experts!
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 05:57 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
You will see lots and lots of jeans in Paris.

I have never made reservations for a meal in Paris more than a day ahead, and I have always found great places.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 05:58 AM

Regarding jeans, your husband's coworker must live in a bubble. There are many people-visitors and locals-who wear jeans.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:11 AM

Jeans are fine. When I go I bring a pair of black ones. Personally, I prefer khakis and a nice shirt for when I am going to a restaurant or performance, but you will see many people wearing jeans, shorts. If I had one piece of advice, no baseball caps or logo-ed t-shirts (but that's just me)

I dont make reservations for restaurants. I have some that I like to go to, I check out the guidebooks before I go, and I see nice ones walking around. In all cases, I simply go around 7:30/8, when they are opening up for dinner so that I am there when the doors open. If you are thinking of going to "name" restaurants (Eiffel Tower, Toru D'Argent, Violon D;Ingres,etc..) yes, a reservation would be required, some even months ahead of time. But there are so many good restaurants that require no reservation (I've been to several out of the Michelin guide) that I think you are very much OK. Occasionaly, if I'm walking by a restaurant during the day, I may pop in to reserve for that night.

I don't know if I can convince your husband that everything will be OK. I've been to Paris 7/8 times with no incidents. Yes it's a melting pot, but so is London, Toronto, NYC,etc. Personally, I feel safe in a Western city with an immigrant population. Realize that the media loves to takes international incidents and make it out to be a national crisis there, with not a lot of background or perspective. Where you will be touring in Paris will not be the mainly immigrant neighbourhoods where there are social issues. And even then, people here on this Forum have been to these areas with no issues. Millions of people visit Paris every year, there is a reason for this...
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Husband's coworker probably has never been to Paris and thinks the whole city dresses in whatever shows up on the catwalk.
Jeans are fine for daytime exploring, even dinner in many restaurants if the jeans are nice and 'crisp', and paired with nice shirt and/or jacket. Nicer pants would be better for the more upscale places.
The very famous/starred restaurants might require a reservation in advance; your local bistros might have room for you the same night or next night, just stop by ahead of time (or call). It is polite to make a reservation if possible so the staff can anticipate what will be needed - many restaurants are very small, and food is bought that morning.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:58 AM

For the fashion-lover stroll/shop - you might consider the St. Germain area. Wander from the St.Germain metro stop towards Bon Marche department store. Lots of shops in that area. I like going into one of the big department stores to check out the styles - Bon Marche, Galleries LaFayette, Printemps, etc. When I was there a couple weeks ago, we wandered around Galleries LaFayette and stopped at the champagne bar on the 1st floor for a glass of champagne! That was a great experience! Have a fun trip!
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'll take a wild guess that co-worker has not been to Paris! Jeans are fine, for daytime, same kind of places they'd be OK at home. He probably wants a pair of regular slacks for evenings too.

I have never made a reservation ahead of time for Paris. We kept our eyes open during the day time walking around, and if something caught our eye, wrote down the address so we could find it again. That said, we weren't interested in finding famous restaurants or specific ones written up in guidebooks. We just had casual meals at family style places.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Pausanias

As far as reservations, I think that if you want to go to some of the more popular bistros, calling a day or two ahead, or even the same day, would help. Your hotel concierge should be happy to do this for you. If not, change hotels.

Can't help with fashion or security.

Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:14 AM

People wear jeans in Paris. A pair of fitted dark jeans (i.e., not what you'd wear to garden!) will be perfect for casual nights out... that's what I wore when I was there. Europeans wear jeans!
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Great information, all - thanks so much for posting!

I'll call ahead perhaps for one or two nicer dinners, and we'll leave the rest to chance.

St. Germain it is for my solo fashionista day - I can hardly wait!!

And Michel-Paris - I'm grateful for your honest response, as will my husband be when I share it with him. I'm hopeful by early next week he'll be more relaxed about things, and be able to just let go and enjoy!!

Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
For High Fashion, stroll the areas of the Faubourg St-Honoré. Walk in Chanel and Hermé's shops. Browse for a look at the beautifullty dressed customers.
funkier looks in St Germain/Marais areas.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:51 AM

This forum is quite good for restaurant recommendations. I've also used Time Out Paris and Michelin Red, but as you say, sometimes you call tell a good one by how busy it is. A good thing about Paris restuarants is that they post their menus and prices outside their door, so you can read, translate, and decide if you want to go in.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 08:24 AM

Sure you can wear jeans in Paris. About 98% of the teens do. A pair of dark slacks is far more presentable for anybody over 20. The co-worker has good advice.

I guess that making reservations is in order if you are dining 3 star. I've been there and done that, fortunately on someone else's account, and was not impressed. Restaurants start serving in Paris after 7 pm. As mentioned above every restaurant posts its menu outside so you can window shop before you go in. If you don't know French bring a Marling or a Berlitz.

Last, I agree with you about the Moslum issue. I have worked with many of them and traveled in their countries. Paris has had a large population for decades. Where would you get your 10pm bottle of wine if there weren't Algerian markets on every other street? Face to face, Arabs are the most pleasant people you will ever want to meet. Well, except for Turks, but they are Moslums too.