Paris Prix de L'Arc de Triomphe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2014, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife, a good friend and I will be going to Paris in early October of this year. I am a big fan of thoroughbred racing and would like to attend the Prix de L'Arc de Triomphe. I would appreciate any advice about where to sit, how to get tickets, etc. and any comments about the experience from anyone who has attended.
Old Mar 11th, 2014, 06:32 AM

bumper:

One of the things you'll want to do if you plan on going to the Arc on the first Sunday in October at Longchamp is to go on the france-galop website, the official French racing website:

http://www.france-galop.com/index.php?id=1&L=1

You can obtain tickets for Arc day and for the preceding Saturday afternoon of racing. I don't know when they start selling them, but you can keep tabs as the big weekend in October approaches.

One Fodorite that I know has gone to the Arc and will be helpful to you is "opaldog." Type in "opaldog" on the Forum search engine and you'll see what I mean. She went with her husband last October to the Arc and I've had useful exchanges with her about French racing over the years.

As a matter if fact, I hope to attend the Arc this year. I've been to Longchamp for the races several times, always in May, but never (yet) for the Arc.

Let me know how you make out. Longchamp is a wonderful experience.
Old Mar 11th, 2014, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

wonderful:

Thanks very much for your help. I will check out opaldog's comments.
Old Mar 11th, 2014, 06:49 AM

We went last year on Saturday as we were leaving Paris on Sunday. We were with a friend who raises thoroughbreds so wanted to see some of it since we couldn't be there for the major races on Sunday.

We bought tickets at Longchamp when we arrived, which was when they opened. We walked around a bit, had lunch in the restaurant which overlooks the track and watched the first few races. We then went down to the paddock area, placed a few bets and watched a couple more races. We won nothing but had a fun day!
Old Mar 11th, 2014, 08:43 AM

bumper:

You'll be staying in Paris in October. Here's an excerpt from one of my past racing posts about how to get to the Longchamp race course from a Paris metro stop:

"There's a free bus service from the Porte d'Auteil metro stop in Paris that begins around noon. It's called a navette. You'll see a group of people lining up for the bus not too far from the metro exit. I don't know if you speak French but if you're not fluent, you can always find a mutuel clerk who understands English and can take your bets. The infield at Longchamp is open; you get to it from an underground tunnel on the track apron, and many people picnic in the infield, where there are additional betting windows."

bumper: I've been to Longchamp when the crowds are around 17 or 18 thousand people. The crowd on Arc day, especially if the weather is okay, can reach 40 to 50 thousand. Also, check to see when the races begin on that special day.
Old Mar 11th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Judy and again thanks, wanderful. I speak some French but I am certainly not fluent. I have heard that because so many British race fans come to the Arc there are numerous betting windows for English speakers that are designated by a Union Jack hanging above them. Since I do like to bet on some exotics, I will definitely look for those windows. What what was the weather like during your stay in Paris? Also, do the race fans at the Arc dress up like those at Ascot or the Kentucky Derby?