Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Solo - Paris 29 Sep-6 Oct - meet for coffee/dinner?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone going to be in Paris on the above dates? I'm always looking to meet new fellow travelers and would enjoy meeting and comparing notes.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 07:50 AM

Hi Fancy Nancy -

I just returned from a solo trip to Paris. My favorite museum was the Musee Rodin (Metro stop: Varenne). It's in a lovely old hotel with an incredible garden. The Musee d'Orsay (Metro stop: Solferino)is wonderful too. Half the fun in Paris is just sitting at a cafe and watching people as they go by. The best meal that I had was at Le Cigale Recamier (Metro stop: Sevres-Babylone). Their suffles are incredible! The flea market at the Porte de Vanves (Metro stop: Porte de Vanves)is fun to explore and there is also a food market behind it. It's open on Saturday and Sundays. If you have time for a day trip from Paris, I recommend going to Giverny to see Monet's garden and house because it's breathtaking! Versailles is worth a visit too. I stayed in the St. Germain area of the 6th arrondissment at Hotel Madison, and it seemed to be fairly safe and a great location for getting around to see what I wanted. Because you'll be by yourself, please be very careful and take taxis at night. I didn't feel as safe in Paris as I did in London, where there are police officers all over. Watch out for the aggressive Nigerian guys selling scarves and keychains around the Eiffel Tower, river cruises, and Versailles. (They are probably at other places that I didn't go to.) Notre Dame is worth seeing, but I highly recommend going during the day because it's in a pretty shaky neighborhood. I think that the safest way to see the city at night is through a guided bus tour. I took a really fun tour with Paris Vision. (Their office is right across the street from the Tullieres Metro stop.) They drove us to the Eiffel Tower for a quick visit, then we took a river cruise along the Seine, and then we boarded the bus and drove around to see all of the pretty city lights. (The Eiffel Tower sparkles, and the Arc de Triomph is very lovely too.) The French are very rude to Americans, but don't let that stop you from enjoying your trip.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 12:49 PM

Previous poster states:

<i>"The French are very rude to Americans, but don't let that stop you from enjoying your trip."</i>

I would like to add I've visited Paris four times and have never met with anything but kindness and consideration from the French.

BobbyPam's other info may be spot-on but that last sentence cannot go unchallenged.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 03:53 AM

Hi Nancy, did you have a specific date or two in mind, or is the whole week equally convenient?

ALSO, if you post this on the Europe forum as well, you're likely to have more responses there. Have a great time!
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks FEB. My schedule that week is completely flexible. Thanks for the tip wrt Europe forum. I'll do that
FN
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 05:05 PM

darn it, we will be there sept.25-29. Leaving 29th in the morning.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:23 PM

I will be in Paris Sept. 20- Oct. 2nd and solo. This is my first solo trip and my first to Paris. I would love to meet and compare notes.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 05:13 PM

Previous post about the French being rude i don't agree! As to the rest of the post i agree sounds like and awsome trip. I have been to France several times will be in Paris for the 7th time in Sept as to say the French are rude to Americans i have never had that problem.The French like you to always greet them when you come in to their place of buisness. and to say goodby when you leave .They also like for you to thank them when they do something for you .
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 01:57 PM

I've been to Paris 7 times solo and never once did I encounter a problem with the French being rude....I did, however, see a few "Ugly Americans."

I also never felt unsafe in Paris - day or night. It's a fabulous, alive city, so please have a great time without paranoia.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 04:06 AM

Hi everyone,

My name is Rich,29, male from England. I too will be in Paris for a few days from monday 28th sep, get in contact if you would like to hang out / explore for a while. Maybe a coffee/beer?

Cheers
Rich

you can also email me on [email protected]
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 10:27 PM

Hi Nancy,

I will arrive at Paris, Gare de Nord Sept.29 for one week solo visit, leaving Oct.6
This is my first visit to Paris
It would be nice to meet you, exchange notes and thoughts
My email is [email protected]

Best regards
AKT
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:46 AM

My name is Neil, 26, from the UK. I'm also going to be there solo in a few days, would love to meet anyone who fancies grabbing a coffee and exploring! Thursday through to Sunday (so I don't overlap with some of the people here sadly)

But do get in touch via [email protected] if you want to meet!
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 11:20 AM

Hi All. I will be in London for Christmas and the last week of December, lookng for some fun things to do. Any suggestions? Will be in Paris the week before too.
Interested in exchanging ideas. Merci!
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 08:15 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
<B>Joyeux:</B> You have tagged along on an old thread w/ a title about a Paris get together in Sept/Oct.

That has nothing to do w/ your questions. Plus this is a very slow forum mostly meant for general travel tips/ideas. Not destination-specific questions.

You should start a new thread over on the Europe forum where hundreds more Fodorites will see your post.

Also - when you do re-post - it is better to give some details about what sorts of things you enjoy etc so folks can help you. You will have very special issues in London over the Christmas holiday. Especially on Christmas Day itself. the place closes down. Nothing is open and there is NO public transport.

I'll wait for your new thread over on Europe before adding more advice/suggestions. No need to post everything twice.
Old Dec 24th, 2009, 03:35 AM

Hi! this is obviously a late reply but anyways we were on the same boat- looking for travelmates- someone to hang out with or talk to during the tour. i'd be glad to hear from you about your next destination...2010 as i am planning to paint the town red anywhere in europe,lol.Ive recently been to Prague and some italian cities but with company. So now i'd like to try to travel solo and meet a travelmate
Hope u had a blast in Paris. I spent christmas and NY there last year. its a magnicent city,right?
Ciao!