Paris-Prague-Amsterdam

Search

Paris-Prague-Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2015, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris-Prague-Amsterdam

Hey everyone my girlfriend and I are flying to Paris at the end of November and staying for 10 days into early December. We wanted to go to Amsterdam and Prague in addition to Paris. What does everyone think we should do in terms of travel. Should we train it to Prague from Paris and then Fly to Amsterdam? Or do a multi-city flight. We have flight vouchers for the one world alliance, but all their flights take 7+ hours bc they go through London. Are these three cities even optimal to see? Or should we pick three cities that are closer?
Old Sep 25th, 2015, 02:33 PM

Amsterdam and PAris are 3 hours apart by train - faster than by plane if you take into consideration time lost to and from airports to centers of cities.

Prague is easily reached by plane from Paris via Easyjet.

Easier cities to link with Paris Ams are : Koeln, Lyon, Bruxelles, Nice, London. (trains).

Optimal to see can only be decided by you. These are 3 cities I love, personaly.
Old Sep 25th, 2015, 02:58 PM

With only ten days, I would save Prague (which I love) for another trip. (Does "ten days" mean ten nights to stay over or really nine?) Stick to Paris and Amsterdam, by train. Consider a stop in Belgium on the way if you want. The train may go through Brussels anyway, but I'd recommend a detour out to Bruges instead. Not sure what it is like at that time of year, though. At worst, you could stop off the train in Brussels for a few hours. Most don't consider Brussels an amazing "must see" city, but the Grand Place (huge square) in the center is really beautiful, especially at night when all lit up.

There are plenty of day trip possibilities or side trips you could do. From Paris for example you could visit the Normandy D-Day beaches, but again, not sure about the weather. I'm not sure I'd want to see them in a cold rain or something.
Old Sep 25th, 2015, 04:51 PM

I agree that you are trying to stuff too much into a limited number of days. Also, weather in Paris and Amsterdam is more likely to be moderate that Prague which is on the central european plain and tends to get colder winters with much greater chance of snow - and the possibility of causing transit delays.
Old Sep 26th, 2015, 12:10 AM

Paris-Amsterdam in 3h20 by high-speed train from €35 upwards, www.thalys.com or www.b-europe.com

Amsterdam to Prague by time-effective City Night Line sleeper train:

1. At www.bahn.de/en book the 22:28 CNL sleeper from Cologne to Prague, arriving 09:25 or so. From €60 with couchette (flat bunk, 6 or 4 per compartment) or from €105 with a bed in a cosy 2-bed sleeper, breakfast included, shower at the end of the corridor.

2. Now also on ww.bahn.de/en book an Amsterdam - Cologne ticket on a fast luxurious German ICE train, from €19 - an early evening one to connect, perhaps with time for dinner in Cologne, perhaps at the excellent typically German Sion Brauhaus. Admire the cathedral too, it's right next to the station.

Alternatively,

1. Amsterdam to Berlin by evening IC train, from €39. Restaurant car available, treat yourself to a meal on the move.

Hotel in Berlin, the InterCity Hotel is right next to Berlin Hbf, which is only 10-15 mins walk from the Reichtstag and Brandenburg gate - have a wander!

2. Berlin to Prague next morning by EuroCity train from €29 booked at www.bahn.de/en or www.cd.cz/eshop - lovely scenery down the Elbe river valled south of Dresden, find a seat on the left had side of the train going south for the best views!
Old Sep 27th, 2015, 02:40 PM

I agree with Andrew you should not cram in Prague on this trip. It's much better to save that for the future and combine it with some other destinations in central Europe, like Vienna.
It would indeed be a good idea to have one or two days in Belgium. Antwerp (Antwerpen) is nicely on the route from Paris to Amsterdam and a much friendlier place than Brussels. It has its own impresive Grand'Place (called the Grote Markt) and a nice collection of museums, such as the Rubenshuis and the intimate Museum Mayer van den Bergh.
Having left your hotel in Antwerpen the same Thalys train which brought you from Paris, gets you further to Amsterdam in a little bit over one hour. (Advance booking gives you huge discounts on the normal price.)