Reload this Page >

PARIS: pls help us pick a hotel!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 05:43 PM
Sarah

My boyfriend and I are visiting Paris in a few weeks. We've done some research and are deciding between Hotel Verneuil (7th) and Hotel des Jardins du Luxembourg (5th). Which should we pick? Merci!

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 06:25 PM
Christina

I'd pick the Verneuil myself, but I haven't stayed in either one and I think both would be fine. It just seems like a nicer hotel from everything I've seen and heard; seems like I've heard a lot of contradictory opinons on Jardins du Luxembourg re room quality and service. I think the locaiton of the Vernueil is more convenient, you can walk to the museums from there and I think the metro connections are more versatile (more lines) although the stop is a few blocks farther than the one near the Jardins du Luxembourg (which only goes one way, that's the problem). I do like the area near Luxembourg gardens, though, although not bd St-Michel so much.

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 07:18 PM
Surlok

Sarah, <BR> <BR>As far as location is concerned, both hotels are well located. <BR> <BR>There's a web site where travelers post their reviews about different hotels. Check it out, and see which one suits your needs and likes better: <BR> <BR>http://digital.france.com/hotels/hot...ml?HotelID=466 <BR> <BR>http://digital.france.com/hotels/hot...tml?HotelID=84 <BR> <BR>And also: <BR> <BR>http://www.paris.org/Hotels/hotel.cg...09127775707077 <BR> <BR>I hope you're not more undecided than you were before. You got two very nice hotels. <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR> <BR>S

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 07:40 AM
Sarah

Christina and Surlok, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the tips. We're leaning toward the Verneuil. Now, any suggestions on whether we should exchange USD for Francs or Euros before we leave?

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 07:47 AM
Ursula

If you travel in a few weeks, you will need French Francs. The Euro becomes effective as from January 1, 2002.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 07:47 AM
Greg Gallagher

Hi Sarah my wife and I were in Paris the month of September. At the advice of many people I used mainly my credit cards. It was worth it. They got a much better exchange rate than is offered in cash transactions. Call your credit card company and see if they tack a surcharge for currency exchange. M.C. gave a 1% and Amex a 2% for me. It was much easier than trying to find the best rate. Also, make sure you have enough for cab fare going in and out. Hope that helps. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 07:55 AM
elaine

Hi <BR>I had noted the following information that was once posted on this forum <BR>June 2000: "Hotel Verneuil. 8 rue de Verneuil, in the 7th, 2 blocks from the Seine. (Spring 2000, double with bath about $120). I dropped in to pick up a brochure and the front desk was very pleasant. It is a bit more upscale than Bersoly's. The location is fabulous.. near the Seine. You can walk easily to the Louvre, St Germain shopping and Musee d'Orsay. Notre Dame and Ste.Chapelle are very walkable -- and the neighborhood is full of charming restaurants." <BR> <BR>elaine's note: In Aug. 1999 Travel and Leisure Magazine named this one of the best new hotels in Paris. Gourmet magazine recommended it in May 99, although commented on small size of rooms. 17th century building, 26 rooms, fully renovated. Short walk from Musee d'Orsay. It was also praised in the book Cheap Sleeps in Paris which mentioned that room sizes vary. Elevator, hairdryers, tv. Hotel also praised in Bon Appetit magazine, May 2001 which mentioned that it is a quaint hotel surrounded by antique stores. <BR>

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Christina

My advice is to exchange some money in US before going so you'll have francs when you get there--enough to get into the city plus a little. This topic is debated ad nauseum on here, though, and there are various camps of opinion. I'm cautious (hence won't arrive with no francs) and have had some ATM problems in France and don't want to worry about that upon arriving--others say don't bother, exchange in airport. I can tell you that you will likely get a better rate in France than in US (even if you exchange dollars at an exchange bureau desk at the airport, rather than an ATM, although not so much then as airport exchanges give poor rates, banks/AAA etc in US give worse rates usually). If you are arriving in the daytime, I will admit the odds are that you'll be able to exchange somewhere at the airport (bureau or ATM), I just don't want to bother with it or spend the time or worry (yes, I have arrived at CDG from London when the exchange bureaux were closed, pre-ATMs, so it happens). I don't even agree with the above comment by Greg as I get rates equivalent to credit card rates that have a 2-3 pct fee by exchanging travelers checks in Paris, but others seem to have problems with it (they go to worst places, don't understand rates, don't ask ahead what they are and then complain etc). As I said, these debates go on and on...........

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 09:00 PM
Sarah

Hotel Verneuil it is! Elaine, your citations of the travel mags sealed the deal. Ursula, Greg and Christina, thanks for your suggestions on exchanging currency. We'll use our credit cards as much as possible (have to earn those miles) but will take a nominal amount in Francs w/us before we get there (and exchange as we need to in France). We'll be sure to report back with first-hand experiences of the hotel upon our return; meanwhile, thanks again for your help!

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 04:00 AM
patty

Sarah: <BR> <BR>I stayed at the Verneuil this past April with some girlfriends and loved it. It is more central than the other hotel. The staff were friendly, called cabs for us, made dinner reservations. The rooms were pretty - small but comfortable. I left the windows open at night and it was very quiet. The breakfast was delicious, good coffee, eggs at an additional cost. My husband and I stayed at D'Aubusson last year and loved it also, although a bit expensive. I would definitely stay at Verneuil again. <BR> <BR>patty <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 08:47 AM
jill

Hotel des Jardins du Luxembourg - we stayed here two years ago and were very happy with it. Nice location and very "French" with tiny balcony, tiny lift and great decor in a small space. We'd go back, definitely!