Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

no rest for the wicked... whee! off to London to find a job, of course I have questions...

Search

no rest for the wicked... whee! off to London to find a job, of course I have questions...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 04:31 AM
beth anderson

Hi everybody, <BR> <BR>Just me again, yammering on about my adventures coming up. <BR> <BR>My interview will be in the Hammersmith Road area - does anyone know anything about this? I understand it is halfway b/w Piccadilly and Heathrow. What sort of lodging (nice, but cheap) might I find, restaurants, etc. <BR> <BR>I actually will be spending most of my time staying with my friend Jon, he was very kind to offer his home to me once again (this is one of my friends who went to France with us in September). Given that he lives roughly an hour from Liverpool street station I might consider staying near the offices I will be visiting, the night before... <BR> <BR>what are your favorite things to do in the late fall in London? Does anyone know of any shows going on right now, any special events they enjoyed recently? Are any of the stately National Trust homes open, or, I never did visit Windsor Castle or any of the outlying mansions - Hampton Court, etc. Are those open as well? <BR> <BR>My last date at work was the 19th, I have been RUNNING all over the place since then. I took off the very next morning early to go to Charlotte to visit a school friend I had not seen in 5 years... hung out with her and her family all weekend, took off Monday for home... <BR> <BR>then Wednesday headed to Dewey Beach DE to relax at a beach house share I recently got into - OH was that bliss. warm and sunny - who'da thunk it, shorts and a tank top in late October. the house is right right right on the water and since it is off season there was no one there. I sat on the rocking deck chairs all day with a book and a drink of some sort listening to the ocean. just lovely. it was warm enough to open the windows at night and I could hear the waves - they lulled me to sleep. <BR> <BR>and I leave tomorrow for PA - Mom turns 60! and get back in time to grab a flight to London. <BR> <BR>yes, I am tired - but exhilarated. thank you all for all the support. it's been great. I don't feel as if I am doing this alone... <BR> <BR <BR> <BR>Beth <BR>

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 04:46 AM
cdf

Beth-this is so great, what a wonderful adventure you are about to go on! <BR>We always go to London in the late fall, it is very nice then, not to warm for all the walking around,luckily we have never had rain.Hampton Court is open and an easy trip on the train out of London, The Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew are good, about 5 stops out of London on the train.and there are some great little tea places there to stop and refresh before continuing your travels.My daughter will be there Nov16-23 and she has tickets for Mama Mia and will be going to Bath..both being highly recommended.When we go - we do a lot of antiquing, Portabello Road, Chelsea and a place on Edgeware Rd,great neighborhoods and fun to look at the stuff,which is usually too expensive but still worth looking at..and the people that you meet while antiquing are such fun.Try to find out what plays besides Mama Mia are available, there is nothing like seeing a play in London.We go to Covent Garden a lot, shopping and eating, do see the new Tate Modern..take the tube and visit Hampstead and the Heath, it is a lovely village and from the Heath you can see London spread out before you, lovely~if I can think of anything else, I will write again, you may know all of this already,if so, forgive me, I love London so, and relish every opportunity to go on about it~Cheers! C

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 06:07 AM
Ivan

Hi Beth, welcome to London. Check out 'Cat on the hot tin roof' at Lyric theatre. I went last week and it was sensational!! Powerful performances from all the actors and actresses, yes even Brendan Fraiser!!. You may like to know that the famous River Cafe is in Hammersmith area, start booking now you may even get a table for the new year.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 08:54 AM
kate

ooh err I hate the River Cafe. Overpriced (I eat out a lot, and I'd say £15 for a starter is outrageous), bland food, bad service. Maybe I went on a bad night, but I've heard generally the place is going down hill. <BR> <BR>It needs a face lift too. Very 80s.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 09:08 AM
fairfax fielding

Someone mentioned antiques on Edgeware Road... I am staying just off that in Maida Vale in mid-November, and would love to know what/where this shop is. <BR> <BR>thanks