Paris Pass: small warning!

Old Aug 6th, 2012, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Pass: small warning!

We had the Paris Pass (DH bought it w/o my knowledge). In it there was a 'Notre Dame Tour'. We though it meant a tour of the Cathedral. WRONG! After waiting in line at the side for nearly an hour, we entered a small doorway only to discover that we were inside a very narrow, spiral staircase which was ONLY ONE WAY! We were actually in the stairway going up to the TOWER at the cathedral.

In the Paris Pass book, it mentions the TOUR. We think it must be a translation error, as TOUR in French means TOWER. Whoever translated it into English missed that bit.

Anyway, it's a very l-o-n-g way up, and something we never would have done had we known that is what was offered in the Paris Pass.

So, this is just a warning to people who do buy the Paris Pass that there is this error in translation. The Notre Dame Tour is actually the Notre Dame Tower.

Unless you can easily walk up over 400 steps, DON'T GO! We had to then come back down another narrow, winding staircase after this.
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 02:19 AM

Thanks for the information but...

1. I don't consider this to be a trip report because you're only writing about a very small part of your trip and a very small part of Paris.
2. Many people already know that the line on the side is for the tower.
3. Many people do not buy the Paris Pass since it is very expensive for what it offers and on this forum advice is given not to buy it.
4. There is a free Notre Dame tour given 3 times a week by church volunteers. It's a great tour.
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! I'll be sure to never post here again. Because you are all so darn smart!
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 02:29 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
This is a useful piece of information. If I ended up in that situation with my bad knees and ankles, it would not work out well for me.

That said, this sounds like one of those unplanned travel moments where unexpected things happen and you ended up with a stupendous view of Paris and a story to tell forever.
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 02:34 AM
ira

Hi td,

Thanks for the heads up.

Old Aug 6th, 2012, 02:54 AM

I'm glad some of you appreciated my post. It's really a nasty experience to post an advisory to help others and then get criticized in a comment by someone like adrienne.

I deactivated my account because of this. But your comments, ira, and Nikki, have made me sign up again as tinydancerll.

Fodor's would be a much better site and much nicer to participate in without all the snobs who seem to get their egos pumped up by knowing so much.
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 04:09 AM

TinydancerII, how was the rest of your trip to Paris?
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 04:23 AM

Many people DO NOT know that the line on the side is for the tower. Thanks for this information.
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 04:53 AM

"Many" people may know that the line on the side is for the Tower, but I did not so thanks tinydancer. I have some health issues and it would not be a good thing for me to be in that line.

If someone already knows information that is posted, then they can
1. acknowlege it
2. agree with it
3. correct possible misinformation
4. add to it

If you can't do that, then you don't have anything to say. and no, "everyone" does NOT already know that.
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 05:05 AM

<Fodor's would be a much better site and much nicer to participate in without all the snobs who seem to get their egos pumped up by knowing so much.>

ah the Fodorgarchs - at least the downright rude and cold ones - chase another newbie poster away - be very PROUD of yourself - this happens over and over again and it drives folks like this away - folks who actually buy things from advertisers here and Fodor's itself - again FodorGarchws - you know it all FodorGarchs be very PROUD of yourself.

tinydancer posts a thoughtful tip for others and gets lambasted like this:
<1. I don't consider this to be a trip report because you're only writing about a very small part of your trip and a very small part of Paris.>

WHO the heck are you to determine what is or is not a trip report? to me it is a trip report or a report from a trip. Lose the attitude! Very disgusting.
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 05:07 AM

I am going to Paris the first week of Sept. I DID NOT know this. I DO want to tour the cathedral, but probably not the tower. I appreciate the warning
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 05:13 AM

Climbing the tower at Notre Dame is one of my favorite things to do in Paris! We've done it each of our 3 trips. LOVE seeing the gargoyles up close!

~Liz
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 05:36 AM

TD, you have given me an idea for my next trip. How does the Notre Dame tower compare with climbing to the top of St Peter's dome? I must admit that was a bit of a struggle for me with the sideways tilt.
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 05:36 AM

I also applaud the OP for bringing this to the attention of others. I speak enough French and am used to poorly translated text but this would have caught many non French speakers unawares.
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 06:26 AM

Let me add a small warning about the free tours of Notre Dame Cathedral.
We tried it twice and failed both times.

First time, the guide was so low-voiced and the sun so soothing, we were almost lulled into a doze. We left that tour before she led us into the Cathedral.

Second time, the guide had a missionary complex, and seemed more intent on soul salvation than the history of Notre Dame.

Perhaps the third time would be the charm, but I'm not planning another try.
IIRC, the free English tours are 2pm Wed and Thur, 2:30pm Sat.

OTOH, very much enjoyed the Towers climb!
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 06:29 AM

the towers climb is not for the weak-kneed - some rather steep narrow stairs - quite a climb literally.
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TinyDancer, you made my day! Back in ancient times when I took a little French in High school (a VERY little French!), we were warned about "false friends," words that looked like words we knew but had a rather different meaning. They cost me exam points, let me tell you.

Don't let the snipers get to you. They can bark but they can't bite.
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 11:22 AM

Tinydancer,

I hope you rewarded yourself with extra desserts for climbing those stairs!

I did not know about the line.
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 11:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I thought it was a good piece of information.
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 12:08 PM

great info! Don't let a few louts ruin what for many is a fabulous forum with many genuinely helpful folks that do know everything just about IMO but do not try to show off their knowledge and smartness as some way above have.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -