Search

Paris or London

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris or London

We are taking my son to Europe for high scholl graduation and can't decide on London or Paris. My husband and I have been to London and loved it but my son has never been to Europe. We want to be sure there are things to interest him. It is more expensive to get to Paris and the resonable hotels don't seem as nice as in London, but it may be more expensive to stay in London. As you can tell very undecided. Any advice apprecited
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:42 AM

If someone has studied French in school, I would suggest France. Where is your family history from? If you have a week, book an open jaw, which means you fly into London, take the train to Paris, and fly home.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:48 AM

How much time do you have?

London is MUCH more expensive. A room for $100 a night is postage-stamp size, vs. a decent sized and decently appointed one in central Paris for the same price. Food and other things are also more expensive in London due to the strength of the British Pound...about double what a dollar is worth.

If you have 10 days -- I'd spend half of it in London and half in Paris -- they're only a few hours apart by train, and like the other poster said, take an "open jaw" flight where you fly into one, and out the other.

Jules
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:55 AM

I'd go a step further that the 10 day itinerary. As long as you're spending even 6 nights total, I'd divide and do 3 nights in each, flying into one and out of the other. Sure, you won't cover either city in three days, but it will be nice contrast of cultures and you'll be giving him a good taste of both. Of course if you have longer, so much the better.

But I'm shocked with your claim that the resonable hotels in Paris don't seem as nice as London. I find Paris hotel prices a fraction of London's and most of the hotels have a lot more character and charm. Also many airlines should allow you an open jaw flight (into London, back from Paris) at no or very little difference in price from just the one destination. Where are you flying from and when?
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

We are flying out of Atlanta, I have checked flying into London and out of Paris and it about $500 each more. We are really trying to stay in a resonable budget. I do see hotel rooms in Paris for less than London, but they are so stark and modern and small. The ones I have looked at don't appeal to me. If anyone has any recommendations for hotels $300 or less please let me know.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Although I prefer Paris to London and find it MUCH cheaper, American teenagers tend to enjoy London more. Don't know why. Maybe it's because of the language. Maybe the culture is more accessible to them.

If you're willing to spend $300 per night, you'll be able to find VERY nice rooms in both London and Paris.

And I agree that splitting up the time between the two cities is a good idea.

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 08:34 AM

P.S. A train ride to Paris and back might solve the problem of the open jaw. And it could be fun.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 08:38 AM

Try doing a seach on just airfare from Paris to London and see how much it is. We did that after we had already booked our tickets, and the price was negligable. We were able to use British Airways, which we already had our tickets to London, and they checked our bags all the way through.

Do a search on Fodors for Paris hotels, you will find centrally located charming ones within that price range. (stick to those hotels, don't go for the non descript plain hotels) If you love charm, you will love Paris. Paris exudes charm, from the architecture, to the gardens, to the lovely cafes, to the person wrapping up your purchases. Paris is like a flower, blooming around every corner. Its lovely.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 08:53 AM

One small insight: if you're happy with slightly anonymous international chain hotels, you can usually get better (or at least as good) value in London through Priceline than in Paris. Without Priceline, or suburban B+Bs (not at all convenient for 18 y-os' clubbing), London will be either pricier or grottier.

Both cities have more than enough to keep their million or so late adolescents mentally occupied (though Paris is pretty inept at giving them jobs). If you're really undecided, a few hints about what might interest your son would help.

Generally, though, each city is particularly good for specific target groups. London's appeal is stronger for example for people who want to build a career, for the hyper-rich, especially from countries with a tenuous grasp of property rights, for international journalists, and the financial services industry. And for people 18-25 who just want a rollicking good time. Beer in pubs is one of the few things that's a lot cheaper in London than in Paris.

It's less good than Paris for - hell, there's no end of people on this board who like badmouthing us, so I'll let them do it.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 09:03 AM

I would say do both---take the train from paris to london---also, there are some affordable hotels in London and Paris if you look really hard, and are not too picky about the location.

I would say London first, because he may not want to deal with language issues and may want to relax a bit more.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 09:10 AM
ira

Hi C,

>We are flying out of Atlanta, I have checked flying into London and out of Paris and it about $500 each more.<

It shouldn't be.

See www.kayak.com

I wouldn't split 6 days. My preference would be Paris for the whole time.

If you have 10 days, a 50/50 split would be very nice.

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 09:28 AM

I would check again on the open jaw fares. I have never had a fare be that much more expensive than round trip and we have traveled open jaw to London and Paris numerous times.

If it were I, I would choose Paris in a minute, but that is my preference. Have you asked your son what he would prefer?

Paris is far more reasonable - hotels, food, other expenses, than London which has the advantage of free museums but is otherwise very costly. Our experience is that you will find a much better room for $300 in Paris.
Whatever you decide will be wonderful and if you do have 10 days, both will work.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 09:40 AM

I think Paris is cheaper than London, overall, but if you found some great hotels you like in your range in London, and not in Paris, why not go to London. I think most teens that age would probably prefer it, also, but you might as well as him, since he's the one you are concerned about. Sure, he may not know everything about these cities, but if he is a high school graduate, he must know enough about European history and have some impression of the countries and those capitals to have some gut feelings about where he'd want to go.

If he truly has no interest or ideas, then I would go where you want to go, not him.

A lot of cheap budget hotels in Paris are stark and modern, I suppose, but that's true in London, also. You must have been looking at some budget properties, those are the ones I particularly notice that way in Paris (eg, 2* ones, in particular). Very few $300 Parisian hotels are stark and modern, sometimes people have trouble finding a modern one when they want one, actually. I guess that's around 200 to 225 euro, so you shouldn't have a problem, but you won't get deluxe places at that rate for a triple, that is true (nor in London usually). London does have some better discounts and Priceline options, though. When are you going, that can affect hotel rates a lot -- they do usually drop in Paris around mid-July through August.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Comparable hotels in Paris are cheaper than in London - and by a lot sometimes. But that is balanced by the fact that most of the museums and galleries in London are free. Even w/ the museum/monuments pass in Paris you willl spend more for sightseeing.

I LOVE London but also spend time in Paris - In general I find Paris prettier and London more exciting. Both are fabulous places for a first time visit. If you only have a week - pick one (for a teenage boy my vote would go slightly to London). If you have 10 days or more then split it up 1/2 and 1/2.

W/ just a week you really have only 6 days (or even just 5) "on the ground", the first day is jet lagged and difficult, and you use nearly 1/2 a day to transfer from a London hotel to you Paris digs. So w/ just a week - I'd definitely pick one city. W/ 2 weeks - do both . . . . .
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 10:20 AM

We took our two sons to London and Paris last summer and the son that had just graduated from high school absolutely loved London and enjoyed Paris. I would recommend the Imperial War Museum (went twice, fascinating), Cabinet War Rooms, see a play, etc. I think that for teenage boys London was absolutely great. They loved Hard Rock, Covent Gardens area, Lillywhite's (giant sporting goods store), Big Bus Tour, London Eye, the tube, everything!

Paris was fun too, but by far they both preferred London.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 10:30 AM

If open jaws won't work, and you have to choose one or the other, I suggest London. I completely agree with those who say that teens prefer it---ours certainly did (and they were both studying French). There is so much to do there, and it does feel more "accessible" than Paris to young people.

If Priceline doesn't get you a hotel at your price, try the Blades in Pimlico, not far from Victoria station:

http://www.blades-hotel.co.uk/

It is a small family-run hotel, more like a B & B (but with continental breakfast, not the full-on English breakfast). A triple room (ensuite bath) came in at 99 pounds a night in June on Bookings.org.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 10:35 AM

If I could pay $300 for a hotel room , I think I wouldn't have any problem in Paris or London Why don't you go to both and avoid deciding..for me, it's the worst part of a trip, I want to see everything !
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

I am searching for airfare on Kayak. The cheapest I found is $756 each with 1 stop. To fly into London and out of Paris is more like $1100. Airfare and hotel for a week and we're talking $5000 before we even get there! Maybe if we could find a nice hotel for less it would make up the difference in the airfare.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 01:08 PM

We've stayed at the Grand Hotel Leveque and The Hotel de Champ du Mars in the 7th in Paris, never paying more than $100/night for a double, and on a quiet street just a few blocks from the Eiffel Tower. I'd make reservations early though -- they book up quickly due to being Rick Steves favorites.

I'd also recommend going to the bookstore and getting guidebooks (like Lonely Planet) that are geared towards the younger set and see if your son would like to peruse them and have some say in where he goes. Also, a couple of videos from your local library on London and Paris might give him a feel for it too.

Happy travels,

Jules
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 02:40 PM

The Champ du Mars hotel is pretty cheap, but not that cheap (nor is the Leveque). They used to be, probably, or maybe when the exchange rate was a lot better many years ago. But their doubles start around 85-90 euro which isn't $100 any more. But if they can spend up to $300, I think they probably want something nicer, anyway, or larger, and triple would be more than that. Especially given the comments about niceness of hotel rooms in Paris.

I haven't checked London but airfares to Paris are very high this summer, it's true. very very high from the East Coast. The cheapest I've seen when I've been looking (end of July) is around $1100. I'd love to see a RT fare at $800. The air fare comparison isn't probably because it's open-jaw but other issues -- like nonstops versus flights with stops or things like that. It won't cost $500 more to do that normally, but you can alaways pick one particular date where the cheapest fares are already sold out or something, that could be it.

They obviously can get cheap rooms in Paris, but I don't think it's just they want a real cheap room, but the quality for the price that was the question. I think Paris has very good hotel bargains,in comparison to London, but as I said, Priceline works well in London and not Paris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -