Reload this Page >

Paris or Amsterdam

Search

Paris or Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 11:51 AM
john

Paris or Amsterdam

For my 30th birthday I plan on going to Europe again. I love Paris, but what about Amsterdam. I am traveling solo, the way I like it.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 12:01 PM
sjoerd

Please tell us more about yourself. Are you a museum person? Architecture? A nightlife person? Do you speak French? This way we could give you good advice. I know people who love Amsterdam and hate Paris, I also know people who hate Amsterdam and love Paris.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Surlok

John, <BR> <BR>I traveled solo to both cities,more than once, and although much older than you, and female, I felt more comfortable in Amsterdam. Amsterdamners are really hospitable, they welcome every tourist with such a natural warmth that we feel at ease as soon as we talk with anyone there. <BR> <BR>Also, nearly all speak very good English, so is easier to socialize. Nevertheless, food and restaurants are not au pair with Paris standards, if you're a foodie. If you aren't, you can't go wrong with Amsterdam. <BR> <BR>Most happy 30th birthday, wherever you choose to celebrate, <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 02:10 PM
Chris

Paris. We weren't too thrilled by Amsterdam. But you're still at the age where you might like it more than we did. <BR> <BR>How about Vienna? Prague? Is there a particular reason you're thinking Amsterdam? <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 02:19 PM
ldsant

How about both? I'm going to do both next week. A few days in Paris and then the train (Thayls, 4 hours) to Amsterdam for a couple of days.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 02:43 PM
Capo

I like Amsterdam, especially the canals, but, IMO, Paris is a far more beautiful and fascinating city. <BR> <BR>If you've already been to Paris, and love it, but have never been to Amsterdam, then why not do as the last person suggested and go to both places?

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 04:42 PM
Meg

We love both cities and generally end up splitting our time between the two, but later this year, we're spending a week in Amsterdam and can't wait. We've gotten to the point now where we adjust to the pace of the city and just enjoy. There are great museums, all types of good food at reasonable prices, beautiful canals and architecture and a wide range of things to do to suit anyone's interest. Plus - there are many small towns nearby that are great for day trips. Pulbic transportation is very reasonable and easy to use. Another big plus in favor of Amsterdam is that Schipol is a much better airport than CDG or Orly. Wherever you go - have a happy birthday.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 09:36 PM
Kathleen

Visited both cities in mid-April this year. Tulip fields not in full bloom due to unexpectedly extended cold weather, snow flurries even! Took the Thalys to warmer Paris, misty rain most days but wonderfully atmospheric, the old grey buildings all gleaming wetly. (Also my face.) While looking out from the ninth floor terrace restaurant atop the Samaritan department store (great, free overview of the city, steaming hot french fries)I saw the sun break through the scudding clouds again and again, suddenly lighting up the ochre hued Seine below with flashes of gold. <BR>Last night there, went to the top of the Eiffel Tower and watched the sun set over my favorite city in the world. Of course, at the street market in A'dam, you can buy eight inch tall chocolate penises.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 03:39 AM
BTilke

You haven't said what type of things you prefer to do, but if you love Paris, you might enjoy spending your 30th in a place you already know will be pleasurable. <BR>I have to disagree with Surlok about the "natural warmth" of the people in Amsterdam. I've taken people to A'dam on day trips from Brussels several times and on at least three occasions, the people in the tourist office right outside the train station were standoffish and definitely NOT warm. And these people are PAID to be friendly and helpful! The attitude of most of the other people we met ranged from reasonably friendly, so-so, to obviously annoyed that we were invading their territory (and we were simply having coffee and speaking very quietly in the corner of a cafe). Paris has a reputation for rudeness, but I have almost always been treated with great warmth and kindness there, with a joie de vivre I have yet to encounter in A'dam. To each his own, but I could go to Paris 100 times and still love it (I'm up to 50+ at the moment), whereas I wouldn't really mind if I never visited A'dam again. I have met some very nice Dutch people, just not while visiting Amsterdam. <BR>BTilke (Brussels)

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 09:53 AM
Christina

I also think one can't advise that well without knowing you and your personality. I thought Amsterdam was just ok, glad I saw it, but have no particular desire to go back. Just didn't find it that attractive or interesting and thought it was very filthy, that surprised me. I thought the people were nice enough--some young people seem to like Amsterdam for reasons which I don't, so who knows maybe you will, but even when I was your age, I didn't like that kind of atmosphere. However, why not try both, they aren't that far apart by train.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Surlok

Now, I feel that I have to explain why and what I liked so much about Amsterdam, and why I'd choose it over Paris to spend my birthday. <BR> <BR>I found it to have a great atmosphere, I loved the architecture, (which cannot be compared to Paris', of course). Every house or building has an interesting facade, and when you see the interiors through the windows, all are well done, with an interesting mix of modern and dated features. <BR> <BR>I loved the Rijksmuseum, as I loved the Picasso Museum. Amsterdam is easy to do on foot, by tram or using the canal boats. And I haven't seen any junkies (or filthiness, for that matters) there, unless in the vicinity of the Red Lights district. I've been to bars and jazz or nightclubs on my own, and felt always very safe and welcome. There was often someone nice to talk to, and the conversation flow was always pleasant and natural. <BR> <BR>I found the area between the Leidseplein and Spui and the Jordaan lovely, with great shopping, plenty of cafes, design stores and art galleries. <BR> <BR>Designers seem to be all over the city, from cafes and restaurants to book stores, boutiques, and hair dresser's salons interiors. There's a design touch and feel everywhere. <BR> <BR>Besides, I found the people beautiful, with a healthy look, to be naturally friendly, not polite, but really friendly and open. This openess and easiness would be the main asset if I were to choose a place to celebrate my birthday, but then, I'm Brazilian, and despite being well traveled, my perspective might be different. <BR> <BR>PS: I'm not saying that I don't like Paris, I do, very much so! <BR> <BR> <BR>To BTilke, <BR> <BR>I take that you're in (or from) Belgium, and I assume there's some rivalry between Belgians and Dutch people. It might be this what made your visits to Amsterdam so unpleasant. I would make mine your words about Amsterdam regarding Brussels. This is exactly what I felt when I was there. I'm yet met more "standoffish", if not rude, people anywhere in Europe as the ones I met in Brussels' airport, and train station. The taxy driver who drove us from the airport to the train station didn't stop saying "merde" all the time, and we did nothing, but taking his cab....Nevertheless, I loved Brugge and found the people there to be very kind and friendly. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Surlok

Ooops, I mean... I'm yet " TO MEET" more....

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 12:04 PM
BTilke

Surlok, although I live in Brussels, I'm American, not Belgian, so no rivalry problems for me! And I quite understand why many people aren't crazy about Brussels--I live here so I see more of its virtues, but am well aware of its (many) faults, especially for a short term visitor, and would leave in a MINUTE if asked to move to Paris or even to Brugge (the outskirts, where many of our friends live). But I wouldn't leave to move to Amsterdam. There are many things worth seeing in Amsterdam, but still, Paris never ceases to amaze me with its beauty. We've been here all week and the city is more gorgeous than ever. There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that Paris will forever be acknowledged as one of man's most glorious achievements. <BR>I wouldn't call A'dam filthy, but it's not as clean as it should be, and parts of it are surprising dirty, especially around the train station (can't SOMEBODY scrape up the decades worth of gum on the sidewalks around the station?).

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 09:38 PM
topper

To John...