paris, november or december?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any difference between these two? we are from seattle and used to the cold and rain which doesn't stop us from getting around. is the 2nd week in december too early for any christmas activities? one worry - i don't mind cold and rain outside but want to be able to get warm inside! any problem with heating in most 3 star hotels? any help appreciated.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 07:16 PM

We have gone mostly in November, the first and second weeks. While it is chilly and damp, it is nothing compared to a good NY winter so you should be comfortable too!
I think Galleries Lafayette puts up their decorations around the end of November.
We have never had problems with heating , unless it is over heating ..we usually end up opening a window a crack for fresh cooler air.
Which leads me to caution you to wear layers so you are warm outside and can peel them off inside..those crowded and cozy bistros and cafes can be very warm if you are all bundled up.
Sort of like Seattle
I think I would choose Nov just in hopes there is less rain.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 08:16 PM

You may have lovely crisp cold weather in either November or December. Paris weather is nothing if not unpredictable.

If you don't care about the possibility of rain, then I would choose December because of the Christmas decorations. I was there in the first week of December last year and the Champs Elysees was lit up like a fairyland.

I think I also saw trees being sold on street corners and the iceskating rink set up in front of the Hotel de Ville, although that might have been the year I was there later in the month.

In either case, have fun. BTW, I had absolutely no problem with heat in the hotel, and my favorite, the Hotel de l'Abbaye, had a lovely fire in the fireplace in the lobby.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 12:26 AM

I think either month would be fine, but would say that you will have a bit more light during the day if you go in November rather than December. Paris is fairly far north, and in November it will be light for 30-45 minutes longer than in December, and sunrise will be a bit earlier. While Paris is beautiful at night, less daylight can cut into your sightseeing time a bit. Take a look at sunrisesunset.com for information on Paris in those months.

I live in Zurich and agree that overheating inside is the big problem here rather than rooms being chilly.

Old Aug 5th, 2004, 01:57 AM

I went the first week in December 2 years ago and it was great. The christmas markets wqere beginning and it was a lovely Christmas atmosphere as they were opening the ice rink and all the shop fronts were decorated for the holidays. Now I will say it was VERY cold and we had layers and hats and gloves etc. We took a taxi when we were too cold or tired to walk. I enjoyed the atmosphere and lack of crowds.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 02:41 AM

I have been in Paris from Mid Dec. to the end of December. It was chilly and overcast most of the time. Beautiful Xmas decorations all over. Most hotels have fireplaces in their lobby or other areas. It is a festive time to be there.

Do your walking and shopping, stop in at the Ritz or the Meurice for coffee and you are off again!!

Enjoy.............
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 04:00 AM

We spent the last week in November in Paris last year. The weather ranged from very chilly and damp to mild and sunny. Most of the Christmas decorations were up by this time and there were very few tourists. It was a lovely visit.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 04:35 AM

I was there when Alan was, last week in November - nice weather, only 1 day of drippy rain, but that was OK with me!
Little lit trees in the parks, sometimes. And the stores were decorated. I am trying to work it around to do again this year because I thought it was just perfect for me.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 05:12 AM

We were there in early November. It was rainy and cold some days...it even sleeted one day! We dressed in layers and boots and were perfectly comfortable. Overheating in hotel was easily cured by opening a window.

One thing I loved in early Nov. was the trees had all turned golden yellow. By the time we left, the leaves had carpeted the streets and glowed in the lamplight at night. It was soooo beautiful.

But Christmas decorations would be tempting too. You'll have a wonderful trip regardless of which you choose.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 05:42 AM

I'm glad to know that December will have a very festive atmosphere in Paris as it'll be my first time there in winter! It'll be nice to have a completely different atmosphere than usual-less crowds, etc.

Old Aug 5th, 2004, 07:04 AM

We have been twice in December, right after Christmas. It was cold and damp. We are from New England so we were prepared for bad weather. I layered and had gloves and scarf. The atmosphere is festive with decoration and Christmas markets still around until New Years. I did find however, that the city was quite crowded. Not crowded with American tourists, but French families. The main metro line was packed at most hours. I also went in February and it was a bit warmer and even had one day where we could take off our jackets. The daylight hours are short in December. It's a nice time to go though.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 07:28 AM
jay

Hello, i am also from Seattle. We were just there last Christmas. The Christmas markets all close up on Christmas eve. We got there on the 18th of Dec. and then drove to Strasbourg for 5 days. You will find the weather just like home. Fleece, some gloves and a pull over hat is more than enough. The Christmas markets are a lot of fun. We kept going to the one next to the Pompidu (sp)Center. Our hotel was actually hot and we had the window open most of the time. email me with any questions.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 08:51 AM

We were in Paris the week of Thanksgiving in 2001 and saw lots of Christmas decorations, along with specialty foods for the holidays festively displayed in shop windows. Part of the week was nicely cold, the rest was chilly and rainy--a problem for getting taxis at times. But it's a wonderful time to be in Paris.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 09:22 AM

What are Christmas Markets? and what do they consist of? Are they like the arts and crafts faires we have here in the States?

I live in California and the only boots I have are Ugs I wear after skiing. I am assuming these wouldn't work so what should I buy? Leather boots or ??? what?

Thanks
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 09:44 AM
jay

Rhonda,
For the markets try this website. they are not mentioned because it is too early. check in Oct.
http://www.paris-touristoffice.com/index_va_v2.html
The link will give you the locations of all of the markets. Warm waterproof shoes (hiking shoes?) work best.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 02:18 PM

Rhonda:
Yes, I would recommend leather boots. I don't know if the pointy toe is still all the rage in Paris. But I can't imagine walking around in those all day.

My boots were soft leather, small "stacked" heel, with rubber soles. They weren't expensive. I wore a long Chico's skirt, so the boot tops didn't really show. I felt very stylish, though, with my boots and long scarf.

I know I walked at least 15 miles a day in them. (And I have problem feet!). Their warmth was most welcome on those cold rainy cobblestones.

On the other hand, you could always pick up a lovely pair of boots in Paris!
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 02:57 PM

..i have lived in paris so....the weather is variable..november is ofthe a dreary grey month..but no crowd at tourist sites ..the city bustles with activity..i remember (sort of) a nouveau beaujolais party..comments about christmas lights and markets as well as short daylight hours are apt...december can really get chilly but if you layer you should be fine..one comment about the holiday period..many people leave the city to visit family in the country or to ski..sometimes restaurants can close during this period so check carefully..the 2 weeks before christmas are often busy with families coming in from the suburbs to see the lights and to shop...have fun!!
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 03:05 PM

I walked all over Paris in comfort--and a pair of waterproof ankle-length hiking boots that I threw in the suitcase at the last minute. They were great for the cold and the wet pavement when it rained.