Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris New Year's: anyone going this year? Anyone been in years past?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are going to be in Paris for New Year's, and I'm just wondering if anyone who has been, or is going, has suggestions. If anyone has been and has had a BAD experience (at a restaurant, or at a particular area of Paris...) please do tell!! And by the same token if you've been and had a great experience let me know. I'm open to doing pretty much anything on N.Y.Eve, but I guess it would be nice to have a really nice dinner and then...who knows. I'm pretty sure we want to avoid the Champs Elysees, based on what a Parisian expat has told me (and some people on this board). I've heard the Montmartre area is nice for viewing fireworks (if there are any? I've heard the govt. can be unpredictable on fireworks). Also a, seeking practical info (what servies are available on and around New Year's, etc.) Any tips would be helpful! Thanks!!
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

No one answered me! I thought (wishful thinking maybe) it's because I posted at night. So I'm asking again!
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Smilesfeelgood

Yes, indeed, and based on past NYE experiences in P, having a nice dinner makes sense. Be sure to reserve soon, and when you arrive, you may be asked to deliver a deposit. There may be fireworks by the river. And by all means, walk the Champs - very festive atmosphere. For transportation NYE, plan on the Metro - it's free then. Taxis will be stuck in traffic, and many will be out of service. Have a good time - it's a neat time to go.

Old Oct 6th, 2003, 10:42 AM

We did NYE in Paris two years ago, with an (English) cocker spaniel and two birds in tow. It was fun, despite the grey, drizzly weather. The fireworks were mediocre (we could barely see them) compared to the incredible 1999/2000 extravaganza. An alternative to a nice restaurant could be attending the opera. We saw Die Fledermaus on Dec. 30, but it also played on Dec. 31 and it was, even the night before NYE, quite a festive occasion (except for the fact that someone actually DIED in the audience during the first act and an ambulance crew had to come and take the poor soul away, which prolonged the intermission quite a bit). We stayed over near the Arc de Triomphe, which was fine, but I would suggest in the 7th for fireworks (if they are at the Eiffel Tower). Another alternative would be a NYE dinner cruise along the Seine. The food won't be 4-star, but it will be adequate and what a view you'll have!
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Ooh...I love the dinner cruise idea. If you have any specific companies in mind let me know.

(Ps--Eek! someone actually DIED?!)
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Also, do either of you remember having any trouble because of things being closed? Is there a day (N.Y. day perhaps) when EVERYTHING is closed? I'd like to know so we can be sure and buy munitions (wine + cheese) the day before! Also, we were planning on leaving Paris by train on January 2...do the trains even run then?
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 11:43 AM

The Bateaux Parisiens run NYE dinner cruises, www. bateauxparisiens.com

We didn't do a NYE dinner cruise, so perhaps someone else has.

Yes, somebody really died. He was attending the opera alone. Sad, but also creepy for the people sitting next to him. Intermission lasted about an hour, as the ambulance crew came in with a stretcher, put the man in a body bag, zipped it up and wheeled him out.

Aside from that incident, the opera experience (Bastille, not Garnier) was a lot of fun.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 12:36 PM

New Year's Day is a national holiday so most things are closed. Trains runs every day although schedules are different on weekends and some holidays, just check the schedule. Jan 2nd isn't a holiday, though.

I think the cruise idea sounds nice for NY Eve, but you will have to reserve way in advance and it is quite expensive, of course (maybe 250-300 euro or so per person, about double regular rates). MOst places that have NY eve dinners are quite expensive, certainly in comparison to their regular prices.

there are a couple other boat companies that have Seine cruises, you can look into them to see if they have NY eve cruises, in addition to the Bateaux Parisiens, if you want:

http://www.vedettesdeparis.com
http://www.bateaux-mouches.fr/

I would think the Bateaux Mouches would as I know they have large boats with dance floors, but don't know.