Search

Spain Tours

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain Tours

We will be completing the first leg of the camino in july in Logrono and was wondering if anyone can suggest a good Spain tour (7 days) including accomodation travel etc for a couple in their young 50's., must be back in Paris to catch plane on the 10th day.
Old May 27th, 2013, 08:29 PM

What are you interested in? It appears you will be passing through Pamplona during fiesta, which is the major event taking place during this time. I would head up to Bilbao for a couple of days before heading for Paris.
Old May 28th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Robert, we are trying to obtain the best plan as our interests are to appreciate the beautiful scenery and history available. At the moment we are planning visiting Pamplona but avoiding Pamplona during the bulls, visiting San Sebastian, Biarritz and Bordeaux before Paris. Always wanted to see Mont St Michel but is a bit off track. Is it worth the extra Kilometres?
We have taken your previous advice and taken the Northern route back to Paris.
Old May 28th, 2013, 07:19 PM

You'll have to visit Pamplona before the 5th this year because of the opening weekend. We expect at least 200,000 visitors/day from the 5th though the 7th, doubling the population of the city each day. Right now, every hotel in the city is sold out, but that only accounts for about 7000 people/day, so everyone else will be staying with friends, sleeping in the parks or staying up all night.

San Sebastian-Donostia will be fine after the 6th when the Donostia Cup is finished (a major summer soccer camp for children and their parents), so I think your first stop after Logroño should be Bilbao. You won't regret it. You can then head to San Sebastian before moving on to Biarritz for a couple of nights and then take the train to Paris on the 9th. I would forget about Bordeaux this time around.

Mont St Michel will have to wait is you are leaving on the 10th. Besides, July is not the time of year to venture out onto that little spec of land when there are a million tourist milling about complaining about parking and the crowds.
Old May 28th, 2013, 07:23 PM

Sorry I miss your other response, but the above should cover what you can do on your dates. For Pamplona you should stay at the AC Ciudad de Pamplona if you are part of the Marriott Rewards program. It's an excellent hotel even if you are not and the rates prior to fiesta are very good.
Old May 29th, 2013, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

thank you Robert. is the train back to Paris the fast train? I was told that this train is undergoing track work and not reliable at this stage to book tickets.
Old May 29th, 2013, 08:21 AM

The 10:15 train is direct from Biarritz to Paris Montparnasse. It takes a little over 5 hours. There are also two afternoon trains that are direct, no stops. You should be able to book your tickets now.

There is a notice on the SNCF website regarding some track work in early July, the 6th and 7th, between Hendaye, Biarritz and Montparnasse.
Old May 30th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Robert, can you recommend some accommodation in Bayonne?