Paris Museum Pass question?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2022, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking our grandkids to Paris in June and Im trying to figure out if I should order tickets to things we want to do or get a Paris Museum Pass? I noticed at most of the sights it says kids under 18 free. So, would I only need to get a Museum Pass for us and they can go straight in with us? Or do they also need a museum pass to go in that entrance? I'm wanting to avoid the long ticket lines.
Old Mar 22nd, 2022, 06:00 PM

Although I haven't had any experience taking children from what I read today as I googled around for the answer is that children just walk in with the pass-carrying adults. If your grandchildren are older, it was suggested that you have the passport handy to prove the teenager is under 18. Sounds like the Invalides and Arc de Triomphe require you to pick up a free ticket for youngsters at these attractions, so I'd just go to the ticket booth first or speak to an attendant.

On the Museum Pass website...parismuseumpass.fr..under the FAQ's under the question "Should I buy a PMP for children"? The response is: "No, most museums and monuments accessible with the PMP are free for under 18s."

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 06:43 AM

The idea that purchasing a museum pass allows you special access to museums is simply not true. Everyone goes through the security line and anyone with advance purchased tickets/passes will skip the ticket purchase line. Depending upon where it is you want to visit, you may save a lot of money purchasing tickets in advance for the museums which interest you and not purchasing a museum pass.
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Years ago the Paris Museum Pass allowed multiple entries to the same museum, and broke even with fewer usages than now. Also, we could get two shorter duration passes for about the same cost as the same number of days on one longer pass. This meant we didn't need to do four or five consecutive days of two or three places a day without a day off. The last time we thought about using a pass, there was a one entry per site maximum, so dropping in for a quick look-see then doing a real visit the next day if a small place looked good was no longer feasible. And now, with many sites requiring advanced timed reservations, the flexibility allowed with the pass is gone.
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 11:19 AM

It depends how many museums you go to. I never go to more than one a day (hardly). I've never bought one. I think the idea is it saves time in the ticket buying line, that's all. Or the line to buy from a machine (which has never been that long to me). I think it saves money if you go to more than two items on it in a day. Of course kerouac is right, it still doesn't save time over buying a single advance ticket.

I would never go to the same museum more than once on a trip anyway, too many other things to do on a limited vacation time. Very few museums don't take any time to get to/into or special routings from your plans, also.