Paris Museum Pass Question

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 01:08 AM
Linda

Paris Museum Pass Question

Hi,
I've done a search on the forum for all threads dealing with the museum pass, but haven't found the answer to my question.
Hopefully there is someone out there who can shed some light.

Iplan on buying the 3 day pass for a trip in September, but I am wondering if I should validate it for Saturday-Monday, or Sunday-Tuesday. (4 days in Paris) I know most museums close on either Monday or Tuesday, but I can't seem to find info, at a central location, for which museums close when. And I'm assuming that 3 consecutive days means just that, irrespective of closings. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 01:16 AM
Teresa Rider

I have not checked this out but found Timeout (www.Timeout.co.uk) Paris section a useful source of info last time i visited paris

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 02:33 AM
Anne

I don't think you have to validate your card ahead of time. I think it starts from the first day you use it. Quoting from my Rick Steve's Paris 2000 guide book, "The Louvre and many other museums are closed on Tuesday. The Orsay, Rodin, Marmottan, and Versailles are closed Monday....For the fewest crowds, visit very early, at lunch, or very late." According to other sources,unless your time is limited, sounds like it is, do not visit the Orsay on Tuesday when the Louvre is closed as it will be very crowded. But maybe another person on this board could verify if that's really a problem as I am planning my trip next month. Hope this helps.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 04:23 AM
elaine

Hi
Anne is right, your pass doesn't start until you use it in the first museum that accepts it.
At peak hours there is almost always a line at the Orsay and at the Louvre. These are worse on Sundays, esp the "free admission" Sundays at the Louvre.
However the whole point of the pass is not so much the savings on the fees as the bypassing of the admission lines at the Louvre and the Orsay. With your pass you can just walk right in, at the appropriate entrances.
I have a file on Paris that has info on this; if you'd like to see it, email me.
The Marmottan is a private museum and does not accept the carte musee.
If you decide to start using your pass on the first day and the three days are over before you leave Paris, the only down side is that on your last day you'd have to pay separate admission fees if you stop in any musuems. By then you should be down the small ones anyway. Just be sure you see the Louvre and the Orsay before the pass expires.
Also, on my first arrival day I usually find myself too tired to concentrate properly on a major museum, having had little or no sleep on the plane. On my first day, I never do more than a small and "easy" museum like the Rodin or the Picasso because that's as much as my tired brain can handle.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 04:58 AM
Anne

Hi Elaine, I thought of you while writing to Linda! You emailed your file to me and it's wonderful, very comprehensive.
Linda,
Forgot to add in my first post...the pass is valid on consecutive days regardless of closings. How long are you planning to stay in Paris?
On my first day (afternoon really) I also won't be able to take much in. So I thought I'd "do" Notre Dame and surrounding area as my hotel is right there.
Anne

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 05:02 AM
Gretchen

Also just so you don't count on it the pass is not valid for the Marmottan.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 05:52 AM
harvey

Elaine is right on. You validate the pass by writing the date one it the first time you use it. 3 consecutive days means just that. It is worth it to save time waiting in line to buy tickets. Also note that many Paris museums are free on Sundays. Have a good trip.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Alex

You may wish to try:www.paris-tourism.com/museums.

I understand that many museums are free one sunday a month, perhaps the last. Also, please recall that the pass is used to enter many monuments, as well as museums. The days are counted consecutively, from the first admission.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 02:32 PM
Sandy

ELAINE,

Would like to horn in and ask if I could get any file you might have on paris IF it isn't too much trouble-we will be going Sept 14 for 2 weeks. Thanks ever so much!

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 02:38 PM
melanie

On a somewhat similar question, do I need a pass for Notre Dame if I'm not going up the tower, just into the cathedral?

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 02:42 PM
Linda

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the very useful information! Since most museums close on Tuesday, I'll validate from Saturday-Monday. I can't wait--3 full days of culture overload!

Alex, what a great site. It has everything I'm looking for. Merci!

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 03:37 PM
Madelyn

Hi Elaine,

Would you please also email me your file on Paris - I'd really appreciate it! I'm heading over for the first time in late September.

Many thanks!

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 11:29 PM
Alex

You do not need a pass (or to pay admission) to enter Notre Dame Cathedral proper. I'd recommend climbing the steps of the Tower, if you can stand the wait(the pass does not get you to the front of that line). The views of the 4th and 5th arrondissements are spectacular. Not too high.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 07:46 AM
marsha

We're considering getting Museum passes, but our son is 12 and therefore pays reduced rates, so it's not clear if it's a deal for him. If my husband & I get passes just for ourselves, will we still have to stand in line to purchase admission for my son?

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 08:32 AM
lparis9

So where do you get the pass anyway?

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 08:53 AM
Susan

As far as not waiting in line, does that only apply to the Louvre, Orsay & Versaille, or do you go to the head of the line at other places as well? Thanks.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 09:06 AM
Liz

The Carte Musee is available at most Metro stations, and museums. The only place it didn't get us to the front of the line was at Notre Dame, but we didn't go everywhere. It was worth it just to hop the line at the D' orsay.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 10:27 AM
Elaine

Hi Elaine,
I am planning to visit Paris in May 2002 after an absence of about 20 years. I would greatly appreciate having a copy of your files on Paris and any other information you can supply. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. Brenda

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 10:30 AM
Brenda

Hi Elaine
It appears I didn't send my email address in my last posting. Sorry for that. Hope you will send copies of your files. Thanks, Brenda

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 01:37 AM
alex

The Carte is also available on the Web through several vendors. Naturally, they charge a premium for their services.
My informal observation: the Carte gets you in, without waiting (in the regular line, anyway), at the major museums (its major attraction for me).We rarely encounter lines at the "minor museums," (the line at the Picasso can be long, but is dodged with the card.)
The Carte seems to offer no line skirting privilege at monuments- though we used it for admission at the Notre Dame Towers (a very long wait), and L'Arc de Triomphe (10 minute wait)this past spring. It does you no good when the museum workers are on strike (all too frequently), and, I understand is "non-refundable" in that circumstance ( though it is rare that all museums and monuments are closed at the same time when those strikes strike). Another nice feature: it allows you to pop in to museums and monuments at the last minute, and revisit them on whim as circumstances permit.