Paris Museum Pass - do they check the identity of the user

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Paris next month for 2 weeks. A friend of mine will be staying with me for 3 days. The day after she leaves another friend is coming and will stay the remaining time. We are thinking of getting a 6 day museum pass for the first friend who will use it for 3 days and then my other friend will use it for the remaining 3 consecutive days. My question is will they check the name on the pass as it will be different from my 2nd friend's name? I don't remember ever having a name check before, they have only looked at the date on the pass to make sure it's valid. Anyone have any info or experience with this?
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 03:36 PM

There is no name on the pass. Just the day you start to use it. And there is no time on it so it only goes by the day.

And I know this because I just looked at mine from two weeks ago
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

I have my pass from last June. The side that you show at the time of admittance has the date and your first and last name.
This is for the 6 day pass. It's a little booklet that folds like an accordian and inside is a listing with all the museums it covers. Have they changed them since last summer?
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 04:42 PM

Nope, it sounds the same. But no one wrote my name. Just the date. There is a line for the name but it was not filled in.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

We wrote our own name on the pass. The museum that we got it at told us to do it.

It sounds like no one will ask us to verify.

Thanks for your reply.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 11:17 PM

We've used the PMP (and the Carte Musee before) dozens of times, including last week, and have never been asked to produce identification. Most ticket takers will look at the dates, and insert dates in start date boxes. Now, whether you should transfer a non-transferable card is another question.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 11:42 PM

hmmm wrote: "... whether you should transfer a non-transferable card is another question."

It shouldn't be in question at all. A deal is a deal, and both sides should adhere to the terms.

Would you walk out of a restaurant without paying if you were fairly sure that you could get away with it?
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 09:27 AM

I don't think I have ever been asked for ID, either, but I ony bought one once or twice -- the fact that there is a place for name means it is meant to be non-transferable, although I'll admit the main FAQs with it don't really say that. I'm sure that's what they mean, though, all passes are that way, places don't make money when multiple people use the same pass. You are just thinking of days, but obviously multiple people could use it on the same day if that were valid, by just going to museums at different times.

I think you can get away with it.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 02:28 PM

Call me silly but I just don't see the problem with 2 people using the card - it is paid in full for 6 days, two people will use it for 3 days each. It's not like they're trying to cheat by 2 people using it at the same time. Sorry, maybe I just don't get it.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 02:55 PM

1. You buy the pass.
2. The pass in non-transferable, and you are deemed to have accepted it by buying.
3. You use it for 3 days.
4. According to the rule you've accepted, you cannot pass to someone else to use it when you can't.
5. Your friend uses it for the remaining days.
4. Museums and other sights lose out on admission fees your friend should have paid.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 03:06 PM

Why not buy two three day passes?
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 03:22 PM

The website says you must write your name and date of first use on the Pass to activate it. However it does not say explicitly that the Pass can then only be used by the named individual.

The price of a 6-day pass is twice that of the 2-day. So 2 people using a 6-day (consecutively) will pay less than having to buy separate passes.

So to me, there is the clear implication that the Pass is meant to be used solely by a single individual. They don't check your identity. Decide whether you will act according to the letter or to the intent of the rules.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 06:59 PM

So why do you want to steal? Would you be happy if foregners stole in your country?
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 09:39 PM

Yes you can get away with it. If you get "caught", there is no real penalty, just refusal to get in.

But the right thing to do would to be to buy a 3 or 4 day pass (x2). I am not sure what they are offering as far as the number of days per pass lately... (is it 6,4,2? or is it 6,5,3,2?).

Be proactive in helping their economy... and your conscience!

Travel Karma is a big ol' B**ch!!!

~Jay
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your opinions on this issue.

I read the website and couldn't find anything about the non
transfer of the pass.

"So why do you want to steal? Would you be happy if foregners stole in your country?" I take offense to your comment. I don't steal and don't consider this an issue of stealing if I've paid for the pass. Last year we bought 6 day passes and only used them 5 days. I didn't mind at all that I donated one free day of admission for 2 of us to the museums of Paris.
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 01:05 AM

irish847 wrote: "I take offense to your comment".

And I am offended by specious rationalizations for dishonest behaviour. A single admission ticket to the Louvre entitles me to see any or every thing on display. If I run out of time, would I be justified in sneaking in free the next day to "finish" my visit? If I buy a 24-hour travel pass, should I count only the time I am actually on buses or trains, and treat the pass as valid until I have done 24 hours' travelling?

People who avoid paying the appropriate amount transfer the financial burden on to those of us who do accept our responsibilities.
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 02:09 AM

Why start the inquiry if you think transfering the pass is permitted? Why does the pass require that one's first and last name be written on it (along with the date of first use)?

Why not ask the ticket takers when your second friend uses the card?
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 05:05 AM

Shouldn't this thread be titled "Do rules apply to me or am I special and allowed to steal and cheat?"

Seriously, it's stealing. What OP wants is us to say "you are special and it's OK" No, OP is not special and doing this reduces him/her to the level of a common thief.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 07:49 PM

Well irish847, you might take offense, but it is stealing nevertheless. Do you also avoid buying tickets on the underground or misusing them? The situation is analogous.