Reload this Page >

Paris Metros at night - safety

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 09:06 PM
jack

Are the Metros safe to travel on at night, particularly to suburbs beyond the arondissements? Would appreciate advice. Will be traveling with my wife and son.<BR>Thank you. <BR>Jack

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 11:07 PM
hanl

On the whole, I would say it is generally safe to take the metro at night. It can even be crowded! Just take the usual precautions (watch your bag and don't keep your wallet in your back pocket, etc...). But it depends on the time you are travelling (obviously, the later you travel the more empty the carriages become) and where you are travelling to. Could you be more specific about the suburb?<BR>

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 11:41 PM
jack

Thanks hanl. The suburb we will be travelling to is Neuilly. We will be returning to Neuilly after sightseeing (and perhaps seeing a show) at night in Paris proper.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:30 AM
hanl

Neuilly is quite a nice suburb, and it's not the terminus of the metro line. I assume you'll be taking line 1 which is usually quite busy, even late at night. Also, the carriages on line 1 are newish, and they all open on to one another (i.e. they aren't separate, enclosed carriages) which makes it feel much safer. I think you'll be fine.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:19 AM
jack

Thanks very much, hanl. That is very reassuring. Kind regards.<BR>Jack

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:17 AM
hanl

Enjoy your stay in Paris!

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 03:58 AM
Fred

Safe, with normal precautions. However, keep in mind that the last train leaves the terminal at 12:30 AM to arrive at the last station at 1:15 AM. If you miss that train, it's &quot;let's start walking.&quot; <BR>For more Paris information go to www.anamericaninparis.com

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 09:41 AM
Christina

Neuilly is not far and a very nice suburb as hanl mentioned. However, please note that particular metro line is one of the worst for pickpocketing and petty crime (maybe THE worst), and always be aware. It has a lot of pickpocketing because it is a line very used by tourists, since it goes by the Louvre and Arc de Triomphe. You must be very very on guard against pickpocketing on that line, do NOT leave anything in your pants pockets and do NOT stand in front of the metro doors.

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:38 AM
judy

My 22 year old daughter and I used them at all hours. Saw some strange people, but felt safe!