Paris Metro - safe for woman alone?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be walking around Paris, part of the time by myself, and would like your opinion on this... thanks!
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 11:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's safe. Just watch your pocketbook or backpack.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 11:57 AM

I've been using it a lot for over 30 years and have had no problems. However,one of my best male friends, who goes to Paris a lot and is quite street smart, had his money stolen. He had a money pouch, around his neck, and tucked into his shirt, and they still got it off of him...so he lost his money and passport and spent almost the entire day filling forms with the police and over to the American Embassy(?)/Consulate(?) trying to get a new passport...and he speaks fluent French. It was on a day he was to meet me,at my hotel, and never showed up which is totally unlike him so I was VERY worried. So, money belt it and shoulder purse draped across the body...NOT hanging off of one shoulder. If you can, even put it under your coat if you're traveling when it's cool/cold. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 07:36 PM

When my husband and I are in Paris together, we prefer the buses to the metro. The stops are much more conveniently located, and you avoid the long hallways and stairways of the metro. On a solo trip, I used the buses almost exclusively. The two times I used the metro (because no night bus stop was nearby), I would have been more comfortable on a bus. And, I've never seen any pickpockets on the metro.

But, I felt perfectly safe walking all over and taking buses late at night.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 08:02 PM

I always use the metro and have never felt uncomfortable doing so, however, just as i would use caution here in the US, I did not venture out late at night alone. Personally, I love the metro. Convenient, easy to navigate. I have heard of folks being pickpocketed by young children, so watch out for that. My feeling is, however, if someone wants your purse or wallet, they will get it either way. Just keep an eye out.

Old Mar 12th, 2008, 06:26 AM
ira

Hi G,

>He had a money pouch, around his neck, and tucked into his shirt, and they still got it off of him.

Wow, they were good.

OR he was careless for a moment.

I put my travel wallet down my pants leg and put the cord through my belt.

Old Mar 12th, 2008, 07:05 AM

I have never felt unsafe in the Paris metro except in the cavernous Chatelet station late at night and once or twice also late at night at Bir Hakeim. I'd stay away from those places, but otherwise, as long as you take the usual precautions, it's just fine. I feel a lot less safe on the DC metro at night.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 07:09 AM

Ira...yes, he had it around his neck and down in his shirt and yes...they were good.He's not a careless type of person... and as I said...he's quite street smart. Throughout the decades of going to Europe, I have read, in European papers in one country I've lived in during the summers for decades,that the thieves have organized schools to go to to become real professional thieves. Personally, I find the pickpockets the worst in Europe. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 07:23 AM

Next time I want to try the bus instead. I found Metro confusing (I'll admit it, I am a whimp), not dangerous as a female or about safety, but stretching my abilities in a strange city where I don't speak the language. My thought is with the bus being above ground that I might be able to keep my sense of direction better? I also want to try the boat/bus along the Seine.

Old Mar 12th, 2008, 07:33 AM

I have used the Metro for many years..never a problem. I have never used it late at night, though.

I think you just use the normal precautions.

The bus is also very good to use..a lot less steps!!
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 07:52 AM

The only times I have felt uneasy using the metro on my own were when I had to go to the very end of the line (I lived near the line 12 terminus) late at night. The closer you get to the terminus, obviously, the fewer people are on the train. Also, I would never get into a metro or RER carriage if there was nobody else (or a lone male only) in it. But that's pretty rare - the problem on the metro is usually that it's too busy rather than too quiet!

As regards the money pouch issue, I can believe that somebody had theirs stolen - I've seen lots of tourists in Paris with very poorly concealed money pouches or belts showing through thin shirts or T-shirts. For an experienced pickpocket it probably would not be too hard to cut the strap and remove it on a crowded, busy bus or train.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 08:04 AM

When I was in Paris last year it seemed as if there were millions of women riding the Metro by themselves. That's how many people get to and from work/errands, etc.

I didn't give a thought as to the safety or danger for a woman on her own, but maybe late at night it's a different story.

And I thought the Metro system was pretty easy to figure out - there are maps on the walls at the stations that show all the lines, as well as the transfer stations. It seems even easier than trying to figure out the bus system.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot!!!
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 09:40 AM

there aren't just women alone on the Metro. the local kids also must take it. i'm guessing the original poster is not used to subways in general.

i don't bother with a money belt or any of that. i close my purse (something i don't do at home in new york) and keep the zipper in front of me. that's enough for me.

as for getting lost, yes Paris is confusing at first (as was nyc when i got here) but you can learn it pretty quickly. i had a wonderful week last year that started with repeatedly getting lost on the way to the hotel (and finding several locals happy to help me), and turned into me calming down until i could intuit what was going on.

i feel VERY comfortable in the Paris metro now, no more freaking at wrong turn.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 11:03 AM

It's perfectly safe if you stay aware. I don't think you'll find it confusing like Suze, as it is like all other subway systems in the world. I mean the last stop on each line, being used to differentiate each line.
I can't agree with Belledame though, wear a money belt!
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 11:25 AM

It's true there are no subways in my home-city, so I am not used to using them.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 12:13 PM

I've been on it many times, alone, late at night...and like I said I've had no problems in 3 decades of taking it. However, some stops can be a bit scary...like when I used to go to a friend's restaurant up on the rue Clauzel, in the 9th...and then late at night I'd have to get on the metro at Notre Dame de Lorette...I think it was...in order to get back to the 6th. I'd be the only one in the station. But, I guess I have a guardian angel. And I would never NOT wear a money belt...if someone snatches my purse, then at least I have money/passport/credit cards on me. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 05:36 PM

I've never had a problem on the Paris Metro. Guidebooks I've seen suggest to:

1. take particular care around a few stations at night -- specifically Chatelet/Les Halles, and the cluster of stations up in the Pigalle area (Pigalle, Barbes Rochechouart, and the like).

2. take usual precautions to avoid being pickpocketed.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 06:20 PM

Chatelet is fairly safe now.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 09:44 AM

if someone snatched my purse, half my cash, another card and my passport would be at the hotel. more importantly, i'd still be holding the purse, so the purse snatcher would have to deal with me.

we all have to confront potential and actual crime in our own way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -