Paris Metro Trash

Old Feb 20th, 2014, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Metro Trash

So this is quite different from the normal galleries I post. I photographed some 2000 trash cans along each of the 16 lines of the Paris Metro, so that I could compare the trash thrown away with the demographics in each of the districts.

Along the way I found certain themes, for which I created some collages which you can find here: gallery.parismetrotrash.com

To explore by each metro station you can go here: www.parismetrotrash.com

If you visit Paris soon, you will notice that they have started to change the green trash cans with grey ones. Look great on the street but the grey ones are not very attractive to photograph, so lucky I finished this project before they started to deploy the new bins!
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 06:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
That is fascinating. I knew exactly which station to click on to see corncobs.
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I found all sorts of stuff in the trash cans, some of which you would not want to see up close.
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 07:51 AM

Gee, thanks for this. Having seen all of the other things of interest in the city, I had planned to spend our next trip to Paris peering at garbage. Now I won't have to.
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

I heard much funnier comments when taking the photos
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 09:41 AM

I'll bet you did, Parisbyphoto! Seriously, care to share some of them?

BTW, I really wasn't trying to be snarky in my first comment. I actually think your efforts resulted in a quite artistic composition; certainly more interesting and perhaps meaningful than many of "works" displayed in a lot of galleries.

You have to admit, though, that bending over that many poubelles does touch on the obsessive/compulsive.

Old Feb 20th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

at nukesafe - thanks and yes I think that it certainly felt a little obsessive/compulsive trying to finish this project - visiting all of the Paris Metro Stations was kinda interesting though not something that I would usually do for fun!

The most dangerous for some reason was when I photographed the contents of trash cans with drunk homeless people close by - half the time they took offence and misunderstood what I was doing so either confronted me or started to pull/kick at the trash can In all cases though once I had showed them the photos and tried to explain as best I could what the project was for they were fine and let me continue.

I will have an exhibition in Paris this June
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 12:03 PM

Damn, I seriously would have liked to see your exhibit, but we will be there in May.

How long did it take you to physically visit each of the Metro stations? You must have given a significant portion of your life to your project. I understand, of course, as my Wife is a glass artist. When she gets into a new technique she will disappear into her studio and I will only see her in passing for months.

Would you share your web site with us Fodorites? Here is my Wifes:
http://www.lumenaeries.com/
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

wow your wife's work is amazing. 2 months for each piece is serious dedication but it is clear from the end result it is worth the time and effort.

I will share my site with pleasure, though you will not find more work like this - I have just some example fashion photography work that I have done.

dpinparis.com
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 03:17 PM

Very impressive site! You are obviously a professional, and an artist as well. Wish we had access to your expertize when we were doing the photos of Annette's glass pieces. Glass, particularly the three dimensional pieces are very difficult to light and shoot. We'd just try a bunch of combinations, say, "That one looks pretty good.", and bodge it into the photo gallery.

I envy you the endless canvas that Paris must afford you. How about a montage of all the street lights, fire hydrants, or manhole covers of Paris? That would keep you occupied for a bit.
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, very kind.

Yes there wis certainly a lot to photograph in Paris - the trick is finding interesting ways to do it or subject matter that has not been covered before - very difficult given the pedigree of photographers from this city...

You seem to have done well with the photography - I imagine you need to be careful with the reflections...
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 01:22 PM

Yes, you are right about the reflections, but there is also the problem of balancing the reflected light from the surfaces, plus the transmitted light through the glass from behind. I, being a slob, don't care much, but it drives my perfectionist darling to distraction.

Old Feb 21st, 2014, 01:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Back when I was a Paris newbie, I felt a compulsion to visit absolutely every metro station in Paris. Over the years, the obsession has faded, so now there are a couple of station that I have not seen even though they have been open for years now: Créteil-Pointe du Lac and Malakoff 1-2-3 at the southern end of line 13.

However, I now go and ride every tramway line from start to finish the moment that it opens. My own version of obsession was riding all of tramway line 1 but then walking the entire distance so that I could photograph everything along the way: http://anyportinastorm.proboards.com...-finish?page=1
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

@ Nukesafe - yes I imagine it is time consuming ti get it right, but worth the effort as the photos look great and who off the work well.

@kerouac - interesting photos as you get to see some more shady parts of Paris - especially the makeshift gypsy towns and the contrast between the Roma vs French ones. I am sure you are aware there is a big issue with Roma Gypsies in Paris. Where I work on a daily basis I see Roma beggars trying ti swindle tourists - the favourite trick at the moment is to pretend to find a "valuable" gold ring and offer it to some random tourist to try to extract a reward.

I was also considering including the Tram when I started the project, but decided against it for time and given I had over 300 metro stations anyway, the coverage was already pretty complete.