Paris Metro/RER Question

Search

Paris Metro/RER Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Metro/RER Question

Hello everyone - My husband and I are planning on taking the RER from the CDG airport to our hotel. We will be switching from the RER B line to the RER C line at Notre Dame stop. I am assuming the RER ticket allows you to make connections like that?

We then, have to switch over to the Metro Line 8 - so my MAIN QUESTION is - does the RER ticket include Metro Transfers? Or do we buy 2 separate tickets?
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:33 AM

Both transfers will be included in your ticket.

In zone 1 (and maybe zone 2, not sure) the RER and metro operate on the same tickets, and you can make as many transfers as you like, as long as you don't pass by the exit turnstiles.

Your ticket from CDG will include as many transfers as needed within zone 1.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Great thanks! CDG is in Zone 5 so I wasn't sure if it automatically means it includes everything in the 1-5 zone or not. Thanks again.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:39 AM

I read in another post that RER-line C is closed for repairs somewhere between St Michel and Javel, don't know specifically. I'd have a "plan b" in case you can't go this route, maybe take RER-B to Chatelet, switch to Line 1 to Concorde, then line 8 to wherever...
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

REALLY??? Isn't Line C what you need for Versailles??

But thanks for the heads up - we will keep that in mind when we are on the metro!
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

ALSO - Would you advise we just book an airport shuttle? Rather than switching 3-4 times on the RER/Metro? It is just my husband and I travelling (mid-20's) with very light suitcases. We assumed that it would be easy enough to jump through the metro and then walk to our hotel which is very close to the Ecole Militare stop of Line 8 - Hotel Leveque.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:52 AM

For two people with light luggage it should be no problem. If Line C is closed it's probably only for some portion of it, not the whole thing. But even if it is the portion you need there are plenty of other options to get to your hotel. Just look at a metro map and have an alternate plan.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 08:04 AM

RER-C
Du 17 juilllet au 22 août 2004, la circulation des trains est totalement interrompue entre Paris Austerlitz et
Invalides.

Closed between Gare Austerlitz and Invalides until August 22, 2004.

So it shouldn't affect your plan.
(you can check it yourself at www.ratp.fr)
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

travelnut - yea we won't be there until september 3rd! PHEW!
we are just working out the logistics to the trip now - so we don't have any surprises (WHICH I AM SURE WE WILL ANYWAY!). Only 20 days to go!!
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 08:58 AM

Another 'RER' note: over the track you will see a sign with all the possible stops that your line makes. Pay attention to the ones that have a small 'light' next to them - those are the stops that will be made on the next train. If your stop is not lit up, you need to wait for another train. The sign changes after each train departs the station. (this is a bit different than the metro, which stops at all the stops listed, every time, unless one of them is closed for repairs. In that case, it will be marked on the line-map over the door of the metro car which you can gaze up at while you are riding).
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 11:14 AM

Be sure to hold onto your ticket during the entire trip. You will need to reuse it when transfering between RER B and C and then again when transfering from RER C to your metro line.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 07:27 AM

I am taking the RER from Roissy to Chatelet-Les Halles to Chatelet Metro (line 7 to Place Monge is my destination).
Question -
Is there an underground free transfer between Chatelet-Les Halles RER station and Chatelet Metro station? Or do I have to leave the station and find the metro from the street?
Thanks.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 08:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Line C has been partially closed every summer for years for major renovation. When it is closed, there is a shuttle bus replacing it. There are SNCF agents at a desk at the line C access corridor at Saint Michel to give all necessary information.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 08:56 AM

tskobo -- all connections between RER lines and the metro are underground through connecting tunnels/walkways. YOu don't have to go out and find a separate entrance, just follow the signs. It may be a distance and a lot of walking, but you do not have to exit the system.

Personally, hawaiih, I would never do that stuff with luggage with all those transfers and walking in order to save a small amount of money. I might be up for it when fully rested, but never in a million years after the marathon hassles and energy expenditures you go through just to get there with the flight, if going internationally.

This is just a personal decision as to how much you dislike spending that extra bit of money over making things easier for yourself.

I don't take shuttles myself, although some people like them fine, I just take cabs.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 09:12 AM

Thanks Christina. I will be travelling light with only one bag (with wheels), but given the amount of walking you described, I'm inclined to take the RER to Chatelet-Les Halles, then catch a taxi from there to my destination. I imagine that I would still save a lot doing it this way.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 09:27 AM

Hi there are of course the options of the Roissy Bus, pretty handy connecting CDG and L'Opera, (rue Scribe) also the Air France BUs connecting CDG with L'etoile.
Good Luck
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 09:35 AM

At Chatelet, there's indeed a transfer between the metro and the RER, but you'll probably have to put your ticket in turnstiles a couple times on your way (the station is really huge and not easy to navigate. And the line 7 and the RER are on the opposite extremities.It's a long walk, in case you'd have a lot of luggages). I'm mentionning it so that you don't use a new ticket at each turnstiles during your transfer
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 09:45 AM

There are a million ways to do this, but let me suggest one other which I would consider pretty easy.

Take the Air France bus to Gare Montparnasse. Take the public transit bus #82 to your hotel (according to ratp.fr, this takes about 5 minutes). The cost would be 11.50 Euros x2 for the Air France bus, and 1 x 2 Euros for bus #82.

I can visualize where to catch the buses from where you would be dropped off, but I find it sort of hard to explain. But about a block away from the dropoff point, there is a sort of bus loop where you can catch numerous public buses.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 09:48 AM

Actually, if interested in the Air France + bus combo, I'd suggest looking this up at ratp.fr. I see now that you can take either #82 or #92, and that you have a few minutes walk once you get off the bus (so I understand it).
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 10:43 AM

I find this all somewhat amusing. Every time I use the RATP itinerary helper, it gives me a different result, all of which seem to do the job. As my hotel is actually situated between Place Monge and Cardinal-Lemoine to the north, it seems that I could also transfer from the RER line at StMichel then transfer to the 10 train at Cluny Sorbonne to Cardinal Lemoine..perhaps this is a better transfer station?

Will Travel - Thanks for the bus advice. I looked into it but the air france bus info. website is currently down. I'm more inclined however to use train service as I will likely be arriving during morning rush hour on a weekday. Regardless, I will bookmark this page and look into your advice once the website is back up. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -