Paris Metro Connections

Search

Paris Metro Connections

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2015, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Metro Connections

I'm trying to map my metro route and want to make sure I'm reading the map correctly. It seems straight forward (although map is hard to read being so small) but want to make sure I'm not overlooking a better route. I prefer to plot my route beforehand and understand it somewhat so I don't have to study the metro map in Paris.

We may decide to go to the Vanves flea Market early Sunday and then head out to the Marais area. What I have is:
Metro #4 from St. Germain station( towards Porte de Orleans). Change at Gare Montparanasse station to #13 (towards Chatillion). Get off Porte De Vanves. On return, the reverse but get off #4 at Chatelet.

Also regarding Montmartre... Metro #4 to Barbes Rochechouart and connect to #2 and off at Anvers station. Funiculaire to Sacre Coeur.

I'd rather take the metro instead of a bus.

Thank you once again for all your help.
Old Jun 21st, 2015, 04:57 AM
RJD

Your options including the bus are many. The Paris transportation system has a site that will plot those for you. Look around for it.
Old Jun 21st, 2015, 05:19 AM

http://www.ratp.fr/itineraires/en/ra...herche-avancee
Old Jun 21st, 2015, 06:04 AM

They have maps on the walls of all metro stations, you don't have to memorize this in advance, just look at the map in the station if you aren't sure. It should only take a couple seconds. And there are indications of the lines with the stop names inside every metro car, also. I also hope you have a map with you in Paris, I would not go around without one, so you can look at it and carry it with you.

For your routes, there are also various options. Personally, I might take line 10 from Odeon to Duroc instead of MOntparnasse and change to 13 there, it's not as large a station (no multiple connections, just two lines intersect) and I think it can be a long walk at Montparnasse between those two lines. For the trip to the Marais, you can do what you want, sounds fine, although Chatelet isn't really the Marais as I'm sure you know. You could take line 13 to Clemenceau and change to line 1 to get to St Paul. Although going that direction, since you have to change anyway, the route you chose might take less time, anyway. Of course I know you don't want to, but on return, I'd take the 58 bus which goes right from Pte de Vanves to Chatelet, no transfers.

To go to Montmartre, you way is fine, I might take line 10 to Sevres, and change to line 12 and get off at Abbesses which is closer to the funiculaire and that metro stop is sort of cool, also, as well as that squared and the church nearby. Or, you cn take the Montmartrobus from place Pigalles (on line 12) all around Montmartre. I've done both, and if you have an unlimited transportation pass of some kind, the Montmartrobus is easy. It goes to parts of Montmartre a lot of people don't see. http://www.francetravelplanner.com/g...martrobus.html
Old Jun 21st, 2015, 08:26 AM

I understand why you would want to preplan your route, but after one trip, I think you will quickly gain the confidence to wing it. It really is an incredibly easy system...and I am completely directionally challenged.
Old Jun 21st, 2015, 08:41 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I would try to avoid changing at the Gare Montparnasse, it can be confusing because the lines do not all connect in one place but require some walking (which can involve leaving the metro station and going into another one if I remember correctly). I was also going to the Porte de Vanves and became pretty confused on my first trip to Paris in a long time, but this was now several years ago and my memory is not completely reliable about the nature of the transfer.
Old Jun 21st, 2015, 09:02 AM

There is a bus that lets you off at the bottom of the hill that the flea market ascends. Fun ride.
Old Jun 21st, 2015, 09:04 AM

Along with the good RATP itinerary research link AlessandraZoe gave, I find their interactive map really useful. Be sure to look through the Instructions for Use to learn how to utilize all the functions.

http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/carteidf.php?lang=uk
Old Jun 21st, 2015, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

What great information!
AlexsandraZoe - what a helpful site - thanks so much.
Thanks all for letting me know about the Montparanasse station. Would rather avoid that if possible.
Christina - thanks! I didn't even see that possibility.
Thank you all.
Old Jun 21st, 2015, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Do tickets need to be validated (stamped) before going through turnstile? I seem to remember doing this when we were travelling in the Nice area a while back.
Old Jun 21st, 2015, 12:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
<I>I would try to avoid changing at the Gare Montparnasse, it can be confusing because the lines do not all connect in one place but require some walking (which can involve leaving the metro station and going into another one if I remember correctly).</I>

There is absolutely no need to leave the station to connect at Montparnasse-Bienvenüe.

The important thing to know is that lines 4 & 12 are next to each other and lines 6 & 13 are next to each other (and also near the train station), but the 4/12 connection to 6/13 is quite long -- although there is a very nice moving walkway to help people most of the way.
Old Jun 21st, 2015, 12:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks kerouac, I either did something wrong or I am remembering wrong or both. Wouldn't be the first time. I seem to remember following footsteps painted on the floor through the main train station, but I could be hallucinating.
Old Jun 21st, 2015, 01:37 PM

BUT--there are stations we try to avoid because of long correspondances (even with a moving sidewalk) or up and down stairs. Les Halles is one for us.
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone know if tickets need to be validated before entering turnstile? Or is it validated once you are through the turnstile?
Thank you
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 10:47 AM

You validate your ticket as you go through the turnstile. The ticket activates the turnstile so that you can go through.
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 11:20 AM

YOU can't get through the turnstile without it being validated, that's what the turnstile does, it checks your ticket to see if it is valid, if so, it codes it as used. The machine does it. If you have a pass, it checks the pass to make sure you have validity on it.
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks...