Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris + Madrid or Paris + Berlin in March?

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all- My husband and I (we are in our 30s, no kids, we love architecture and new urbanism) are going to Paris for 5 days in March and want to add another "world city" to the trip, for another 4 or 5 days.

We are thinking of Madrid, but I'm a little worried that, well, that it might be a bit of a dumpy city. After Paris, it is going to be tough to measure up, too!

The other option is Berlin, but I'm thinking it might be a bit too cold still in March. Thoughts?

Also, are there any other major "world cities" (besides London and Rome) within an easy Air France flight from Paris, that I'm missing?

Thoughts and opinions much appreciated!
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 10:01 AM

I don't know about an "easy Air France" flight, but Barcelona is a quick flight away from Paris and a wonderful city to visit. Plus it will be much warmer than Berlin.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 10:15 AM

Madrid is everything but dumpy. It is a really beautiful city. However, Madrid will be cold in March - probably colder than Berlin.

Berlin is not too bad in March, the city starts to become green again after the winter.

And the architecture is spectacular - both the old architecture along Unter den Linden & at the Gendarmenmarkt and the brand modern architecture around Potsdamer Platz & Friedrichstraße.

Barcelona is not bad either - architecture from every period of time. It's your choice!
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 10:36 AM

Agree with PP - Madrid is anything but dumpy - it is more vibrant than any other capital I have visited but it is a big city and combined with another big city - Paris, might be too much.
Barcelona is fantastic . Paris and Barcelona sounds to me like a dream ticket ( Barcelona is smaller than Madrid and Paris ; if you like architecture ,I can hardly think of a better place.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 02:36 PM

berlin for respectful reconstruction along with innovative architecture.
endless museums. cozy restaurants.
really cheap crepes in the train stations!

all cities mentioned are lovely.

be sure to make breakfast, lunch or dinner reservations at the parliament (reichstag) in berlin if you go.
it is amazing. skip the line that way, too. ( not fun standing out in the german cold)