Paris/London for Thanksgiving

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I are taking our parents to Paris and London (4 nights in each city) for Thanksgiving this year. Our parents are in their late 60's, have trouble walking longish distances, and aren't much of travelers overall. I'm somewhat of a compulsive traveler myself, and have been all over Europe and South America, and think nothing of walking 10 miles in a day, but I'm obviously trying to plan a trip more appropriate for them.

We're staying at the Hotel Brittanique in Paris (based on messages I've read here) and the Savoy in London (because I got an amazing deal there). We're spending the first 4 days in Paris, then I was planning on taking the Eurostar train to London for our last 4 days.

I'd be anxious to hear any advice you folks might have, including: (1) recommendations for Thanksgiving dinner in London, (2) whether 1st class on Eurostar is worth the additional cost, (3) restaurants and sights in both cities that wouldn't require too much physical exertion and wouldn't be too intimidating for not-particularly-adventurous Americans.

I've been to Paris many times, but only been to London once, briefly, and several years ago, so I probably need more help with London.

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Rob
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 12:36 PM
P_M

Thanksgiving is not celebrated in London so you might be hard-pressed to find a Thanksgiving dinner there. I didn't find one when I was there at T-giving, but I wasn't looking very hard either.

I always recommend the hop-on, hop-off bus for first time visitors. It's a great way to get an overview of London then decide which sites you want to visit. Of course, theatre is a must for any trip to London.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 01:01 PM

In 2003, the Washington Post ran an article on restaurants in several European cities (including London) that serve Thanksgiving dinner. Since the article is two years old, there's no guarantee that the information in it is up-to-date, but it may give you some leads that you can follow up on by contacting the restaurant. Here's the url for the article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...041501686.html
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 01:35 PM
SAB

This post reminds me of the numerous times I have been asked how we celebrated Thanksgiving in the UK when I was a kid. It never ceased to amaze me that the person asking failed to realize that we didn't or why. I have friends from Mexico who are likewise amazed by the question. BTW not implying that Rob is one of those people--just that his post reminded me of being asked.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 01:45 PM

I wouldn't bother looking for a Thanksgiving dinner. But a wonderful meal at Simpson's in the Strand would be a GREAT substitute. Very traditional and impecable service. Plus it is next door to your hotel.

You will love the Savoy - the location and service are terrific.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 01:49 PM
lyb

And I wonder where British tourists in the U.S. could get a great Boxing Day meal on Dec 26th?
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 01:51 PM

Rob,

As a person in my 60's myself, I suggest that between now and your trip you get your parents to do some walking so they will enjoy the trip even more. I would hope my kids would suggest that to me. Actually I have done this the other way around where I took my grown kids to London and Paris and I walked their legs off, but that is another story. Tell them to let you know when you need to slow down or take break.

Use public transport when it makes sense and taxis when you have to. By the way, on my last trip to London in April I "discovered" the public bus system. I liked it better than the tube because you can actually see the sights in between places as opposed to popping out of the tube station here and there.

I think fish and chips and a brew would make a great Thanksgiving dinner. Maybe you could smuggle in a can of cranberry sauce.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 04:39 AM

Lyb, most British people don't get a great Boxing Day meal in the UK - for most of us, it's strictly cold turkey - in both senses!
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the advice -- I'm definitely taking it to heart. I'll check out Simpson's and reserve a hop-on, hop-off bus tour. Bree, thanks for the Wash Post article!

Also, just so there's no misunderstanding, I'm acutely aware that Thanksgiving is not celebrated in the U.K. I was looking for either (a) a restaurant recommendation for a nice dinner (which we would just happen to be have on Thursday, Nov. 24), or (b) a restaurant aimed perhaps at American ex-pats, where they actually are offering a "traditional" Thanksgiving meal. I spent Thanksgiving in Paris last year, and there were a handful of restaurants offering such a menu on Thanksgiving day. My guess would be that London would have an even larger American community than Paris, but perhaps not.

Btw, I just attended a very festive Bastille Day party last Thursday here in NYC, and look forward to an annual Cinco de Mayo celebration every year. I've also celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving and American Thanksgiving in the same year. ;-)

Thanks!
Rob
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 05:32 AM

Robby, you're right in that there's something like 200,000 US expats living in London, so I'm sure there's SOMEWHERE doing thanksgiving. Perhaps try contacting Christopher's - an upscale American restaurant in Covent Garden.

www.christophersgrill.com

You can also find a list of American restaurants on www.hardens.com (free to register and very reliable reviews)
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 06:44 AM

RR -
Can't offer London resto recs, but can comment on touring with parents who have limited endurance for walking. At the time you are traveling the weather should be OK for walking, more chance of being cool than warm. Remember, though, that walking can build up body heat, so the old strategy of dressing in layers is a good one. Do tote along a collapsible umbrella.
The previous advice to try to get them in to a "training regimen" by doing some progressively longer walks starting now is a good one - and might even have some longer term benefits, too. Just be sure to start and build up slowly, and if there is a specific condition that limits mobility check with their health care provider about any restrictions.
By all means consider the bus. The first time traveling in Europe with my similarly mobility limited sainted mither, the bus system was a godsend. She actually liked being able to sit and look out the windows, and riders on crowded buses were quite courteous in offering her a seat. With a transit pass, we were able to just hop off whenever anything struck her fancy, no worry about getting correct change to get back on.
Another thing she really liked was, on arrival day, doing one of the organized half-day tours of the city's "high spots" in a small group (minivan vs. bus) which are typically easily arranged through your hotel. This usually dropped us closer to the actual sites than public transport, reducing the walking, allowed a bit of a sit down between sights, and avoided the inevitable stairs entering and leaving the Metro/Tube stations. It also gave a sort of orientation to the layout of the city. For folks who "aren't much of travelers overall" this small group thing seems to offer some comfort over independent meandering.
One other thing that was helpful was a small note book in which we jotted down addresses, bus routes, etc. as we toured so we could find our way back to places where we wanted to spend more time.
Another general tip - in planning your time, be sure to build in rest periods. Lump together things that are located close to each other, but remember that for inexperienced travlers even getting between places is sometimes a bit stressful and it can help to plan for a bit of "recovery time" in a cafe/bistro/ pub between activities.
Re: 1st vs 2d class Eurostar - 1st is nicer, but 2d isn't awful. If budget is not a concern, go for 1st, but don't worry that they will be uncomfortable in 2d.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 10:40 AM
dpo

If you really have to have a Thanksgiving dinner, the Texas Embassy by Trafalgar Square serves a Texan Thanksgiving dinner (roast turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, jalapeno cornbread)
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 12:50 PM

Definately take the Big Bus Tour - if you get lucky your guide with be Paul Roberts - so funny! The bus tour includes a tour of the Thames - take it as it is fun and minimal walking.

North Sea Fish and Chips near the British Museum (near Russell Square) is very atmospheric and has wonderful food.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 01:13 PM
mjs

Having spent the last 8 or so Thanksgivings overseas, plus many others, I would not try to recreate Thanksgiving abroad unless you get invited to an ex-pat's gathering. We have tried this a few times in 'American' restaurants overseas and have always been disappointed. Luckily for you, England is one of a few places in the world where one sometimes eats turkey, albeit for Christmas.
Simpsons. I do believe serves it along with roast beef etc and so this might make a good solution to your problem. We on the other hand now just eat a special meal in whatever country we happen to be in for Thanksgiving.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 01:49 PM

Robby ....love your hotel choices!

Yeah I am in Paris on Thanksgiving and we are just having a nice dinner on that day. Not looking for turkey and the trimmings, plenty of diners for that when you get home. Hey I think I will have that tonight LOL.

Give us all the details when you return!
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 01:55 PM

ps I took my 75 year old mother to London and she loved the double decker tours. The tour put everything into context and we wished we had done it earlier on our trip.

I lived in London years ago and have been back several times, still appreciated the tour for mobility.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 04:44 PM

Don't waste your money on a Thanksgiving meal in London. It will be over priced and over done!!
I think that your idea is a nice meal on the day- just don't look for turkey!! Most places that will provide the traditional meal aren;t very good ( neither are the american hotels either back at home).
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 06:28 PM

What about the restaurant "Rules" for thanksgiving? Its loud and noisy but nice traditional British fare. I enjoyed the beef wellington, not something you see often in the U.S. They offer a lot of game dishes there too. Do you know this restaurant?

I am not sure if they still allow cigar smoking in restaurants in London. I took my mother to a great older hotel restaurant. The name escapes me...you all know it. Anywoow, We had a beautiful meal but had to move twice from smoking. I have never seen anything like it. Large round tables of 10 or more eating and taking a smoking break in between, all in evening gowns and black tie lol. We are so silly some times.

This was a few years ok before 911. Sure it is different now.