Notices

Paris, London, Brussels and Scotland

Old Sep 10th, 2003, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris, London, Brussels and Scotland

We are headed to a wedding in Scotland in August 2004. We will be staying in Scotland (Einburgh) for 7 nights, but before hand wanted to explore what else is around.

We have never been to Europe before, and are trying to make the most of our visit. Not sure when we will get a chance to go over there again.

Not so concerned with Scotland, as we have quite of bit of events planned already with wedding stuff.

However, are we crazy for thinking we can do this.

Our plan is to fly into London (from Boston) spend a night there and sightsee for the day. Then head over to Paris for a night and sightsee there for a day. Then over to Brussels for another night along with day of sightseeing. Finally to Scotland where we will be for 7-9 days.

I think in a way it seems like a lot...but on the other hand it will give us a brief overview of these cities that we are interested in seeing. The logistics seem to work with train rides (not longs ones).

Does anyone have suggestions on what are "the musts" of these cities (exl. Scotland).

Thanks ahead of time!!
Erica
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 08:38 AM

Yes, you're crazy.

Your must sees will be train stations and airports. If that's your thing, go for it.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 09:03 AM

Hi truppidavies,

You've chosen to stay in Edinburgh for 7 days while giving only one day to Paris and London, both cities have at least 10 times the number of things to see and do than Edinburgh does. Actually, you have less than a day in Paris since you need to factor in time to get there. I spent 6 days in London and it wasn't enough and 3 days in Edinburgh and it was plenty.

Forget Paris and Brussels this trip. Spend more time in London and less in Edinburgh.

adrienne
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 09:19 AM

I agree with the responses. You can't see enough to make it worth your while with part of a day in Brussels, Paris and London. You won't remember a thing about any of them especially as you will be jet lagged for the first day or so. If you can't extend your trip and if you must spend 7 days in Edinburgh, spend the remaining 3 or 4 days in London. Even then you will barely scratch the surface.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 09:36 AM

I'm not so sure:
I think you can do it if you drop Brussels (it's a surprisingly nice city but still not to be compared to Paris!).

Other people have gotten a `yes' on sightseeing in London when they have a lay-over of only a couple of hours... So take a hop-on-hop-off bus tour including the Thames river cruise and limit yourself to one or two sights to explore in depth.

In Paris stay in a very central location (like close to Notre Dame either in the 4th, 5th or 6th arrondissement), do a bus tour for orientation, do two things in depth and walk one or two neighborhoods.

Yes, you'll be somewhat exhausted after this but I personally think you'll still have fun! And maybe you'll get hooked and come back for more... ;-)
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input.

1st - we have to do Scotland for the weekend, again, we have a wedding and there is a week long of events and a little down time as well...no choice there. We may be able to drive up North (in Scotland) for a day here or there...but other besides that Edinburgh is where we will be. Again, there are wedding/celebration things happening all week plus they have intergrated that in with Tatoo & some festival (4got already what it was called).

We really would like to do the other 3 cities. Do you think it would be better to up a night in one of them. Is there one that we could defintly get away with doing just the one night in. I guess in a way, we could change up a night or so in a city or two.

Paris: This is really where I want to go...however, my other 1/2 is not all interested. This is somewhat of a comprimise to go there. And although I do not know much about the city - I have always dreamed of seeing the Eiffel - and really think I could be quite satisfied with just seeing that and a very little of the city. So I feel as though I am very willing to give up time in Paris -- for more time in London and Brussels.

Again, you comments are always appreciated!!

Erica

Old Sep 10th, 2003, 11:04 AM

Hi again Erica,

I'm all in favor of dreams so here's another option. Brussels is 1.5 to 2 hours from Paris. Why don't you stay in Paris for 2 nights and do a day trip to Brussels. You could take an early train and come back late. It's a pain to keep packing and unpacking and you waste time getting to/from hotels and checking in.

The problem with staying only a day in a city is that you really need more than 1 day to acclimate yourself and get your bearings. You'll need to do a lot of advanced planning, including deciding exactly what to see, ensuring that the place is open the day you're there and what times it's open (don't worry - Eiffel Tower is open every day), and mapping out routes, either subway, taxi, or walking.

Some sights, such as the Tower, have long lines unless you go around dinner time, after the tour busses have left for the day. You'll spend a good portion of the day standing in line to buy tickets.

adrienne
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Adrienne,

Would you throw out Paris all together?

Another thought is Luxenburg instead of Brussles? The attraction we like there is Moselle Vally (The winte tasting road) - that holds much interest to us.

Have you ever heard of it?
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 01:40 AM

truppidavies,
there are several Mosel-experts on this board (Mosel is the German spelling). Go ahead and ask a specific question in a new posting.

since you still got lots of time until August 2004 I'd suggest you go to your local library and get guide books on the cities you might like to see. This might help you decide whether one of the cities is more or less interesting to you (as in which one to drop).

Having a nice dinner (and a glas of wine) and simply telling each other what pictures and ideas come to your mind when you think of Europe, these cities and a great trip in general, may help in determining what the important places for you are.

On the www good starting points are of course the fodors destinations guides, those at frommers.com and if you go to the cities own homepages. Also some guide book companies may have online city guides.

By the way, what is it that makes you want to see Brussels? The art nouveau architecture? The comic strip museum? The mussels? ;-)
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 04:29 AM

I would NEVER delete Paris from an itinerary. I would delete Brussels.

I've not particularly heard of the Mosel wine route but there's also a wine route through Alsace and probably any number of major wine regions. Would you be renting a car or is there a bus tour through the Mosel valley?

Remember, if you delete Paris from your plans you still only have 2 days in Brussels and that area (since you said you want to spend 1 day in London).

I have to STRONGLY SUGGEST that your next step is to get a map and see how far these places are from London. Of these 2 days you will spend 1 day in transit and packing/unpacking. The train from London to Brussels is 3+ hours and you have to get to the train station in London and buy your ticket then get from the station in Brussels to your hotel. I'd allow about 5 hours for this. Then you have to do the same on the way back.

If you're really set on Brussels I would fly into Brussels and out of Glasgow, saving some transit time.

What about your dream of seeing the Eiffel Tower?

Old Sep 11th, 2003, 04:46 AM
ira

Hi Erica,

The fact that your hubby is not interested in going to Paris is grounds for divorce, because he is either insane, feeble minded or evil.

You will get back to Europe.

This trip, stick to the UK. Go to London, visit the relatives and haave happy memories.

Next trip - Paris.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 04:56 AM

I would drop Brussels. I live in Belgium, and am not crazy about Brussels; I would rather spend an extra day in Paris or London. If you really want to do Brussels, follow the advice given in a previous post and do it on a day trip; you can go from Paris Nord to Brussels easily, you will not loose too much time traveling, and you will not have to change hotels, pack, carry luggage on and off trains etc.