Paris just after Christmas

Aug 21st, 2001, 06:18 PM
carolyn

Paris just after Christmas

Experienced folks: Does anyone have views/cautions/suggestions on traveling to Paris, arriving Dec. 26 and staying through NY's Eve? Is stuff open? Is it a decent time to go? Any thoughts or suggestions welcome!

Aug 21st, 2001, 06:39 PM
Meg

We went to Paris last year between Christmas and New Year's and had a great time. Everything we wanted to do/see was open, but we really just spent a lot of time wandering the streets and enjoying the Christmas decorations. On New Year's Eve, we had dinner off the Champs Elysees then strolled the boulevard. We were at the Eiffel Tower with a bottle of Cristal at midnight. It was a great way to celebrate the true millenium. You'll have a great time!

Aug 21st, 2001, 06:53 PM
Ingrid

I will going to Paris on the same day (dec 26th parting from Miami) for the same period of time. It is very very cold, at least for me it is, I'm not used to the cold weather. It will be about 37 degrees. I was just there in April and had a wonderful time. Make sure you take a wool scarf and gloves, you will use them guaranteed! Another great advice....take some of that self drying antibacterial soap/gel use it a couple of times throughout the day, it really prevents you from catching a cold. Especially when your running around touching things or getting on and off of the Metro. I took this advice from a previous posted reply and it's the first time I travel overseas and did not get sick. Where will you be staying? What area of Paris?

Ingrid

Aug 21st, 2001, 07:01 PM
carolyn

Thanks for quick replies! We are thinking of staying in the "closer" arrondissements, i.e. 1-7. North Carolinians, we can deal with 37 degrees, but thanks for the scarf and glove alert!

Meg, your comments made me want to leave tomorrow. Thanks. Eiffel Tower was THE BEST millennial display of all. Can't imagine what it was like in Paris.

Aug 21st, 2001, 07:22 PM
Ingrid

I also want to recommend a restaurant that I absolutely loved, it's called Le Relais de Vernis. I don't have the address at hand but once I get it I will post it. This restaurant only serves one menu of the chef's specialty and it consists of steak and french fries. Apparently it is very well known among the Parisians because we had to wait in line for a while but it was really worth it. We had dinner for 2 with dessert and two bottles of wine for about $60. We also enjoyed eating mussels twice at Leon de Bruselas (about $35 for 2). Both restuarants are inexpensive and good. If I remeber anything else I will be sure to post it. I can't wait to spend my New Years in Paris!

Aug 21st, 2001, 07:46 PM
Book Chick

Ingrid,
Could this be Le Relais de Venise? It's a steakhouse, located at 271 bd. Pereiere in the 17th; the Metro is Porte Maillot. The phone is 01.45.74.27.97

This looks like an excellent value.
BC

Aug 21st, 2001, 08:13 PM
Ingrid

BC,

Sorry, it is Le Relais de Venise, my boyfriend just nagged me for that one!! Do you think it's a good deal? Thanks for the correction and the additional info. Do you know of any other good restaurants, since I will be returning as well.

Aug 21st, 2001, 08:41 PM
Book Chick

Ingrid,
No problem! I have some notes here somewhere on other restaurants, let me check them.

Alfredo Positano in the 6th at 9 rude Guisarde

Auberge du Champs de Mars in the 7th at 18 rue de l'Exposition (Metro is Ecole-Militaire)

Le Bistrot de Breteuil in the 7th at 3 place de Breteuil (Metro is Duroc/Sevres-Lecourbe)

Brasserie Bosquet in the 7th at avenue Bosquet & rude Champs de Mars

Le Cameleon in the 6th at 6 rue de Chevreuse (Metro is Vavin)

Le Ciel de Paris on the 56th floor of the Montparnasse Tower

La Case di Sergio in the 7th at 20 rue de l'Exposition

Le Champs de Mars in the 7th at 17 ave. de la Mott-Picquet (Metro is Ecole Militaire or Tour-Maubourg)

Clementine in the 7th at 62 ave.Bosquet (Metro is Ecole Militaire)

Epi Dupin in the 6th, 11 rue Dupin (Metro is Sevres-Babylone)

La Fermette Marbeuf 1900 in the 8th at 5 rue Marbeuf (metro is Alma-Marceau)

La Fontaine de Mars in the 7th at 129 rue St-Dominique (metro Ecole Militaire)

Chez Georges in the 2nd, at 1 rue du Mail (metro is Bourse)

Thoumieux at 79 rue St-Dominique (metro is Invalides or Latour-Maubourg)

Sorry for the heavy concentration in the 7th, but that's where I'll be staying!
BC

Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:36 AM
Kris

Carolyn, we were in Paris over New Year's several years ago. We had a great time but it was more crowded than I had anticipated and much colder, especially at the top of the Eiffel Tower. So my suggestions are a) get a museum pass if you want to see a lot of things. More important than saving a bit of money is bypassing the lines and b) bring some warm clothes just in case. I had a light winter coat, gloves and ear muffs and used them all.

The Musee d'Orsay was the place I remember as being the most crowded. I think they have a late night where the crowds might be a bit more manageable.

And if at all possible stay off the metro when it gets close to midnight New Year's eve. We were jammed in there like sardines and the trip took so long that we almost missed midnight on the Champs Elysses.

Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:14 AM
carol

Carolyn,

Bring a cheap scarf and gloves--what better place than Paris to buy both those items?!

Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:21 PM
Meg

Carolyn - we weren't there for the big celebration in 1999. We were there for the 2000/2001 New Year. There weren't really any fireworks to speak of, but at midnight, the Tower lit up with blue twinkling lights, which I think were supposed to remain on the Tower and twinkle every hour all year long. It was really something to see. It was cold. After dinner that night, we went back to our hotel and changed into jeans with silk long johns and heavy sweaters. We had hats, gloves and scarves. We were comfortable until about 11:50 when it began to sprinkle, but we managed to deal with 15-20 minutes of cold rainy weather to see that. We stayed in the 7th, so we were only a 5 minute walk away from our room when we were ready to call it a night. Also forgot to mention that the metro was free that night until 5 a.m. (if I read the signs right). Have a great trip!

Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:37 PM
steve

We were there between Christmas and New Years several years ago. The weather was cold and rainy, but we had a great time. I found things to be a bit less crowded than on a more recent June visit. New Years Eve we went to the opera and then saw the new year in at Cafe de Flore. The only day I remember places being closed was on New Year's day and even then we found plenty of restaurants that were open.