Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

My Wife Is Driving Me Nuts about Paris Hotel

Aug 22nd, 2001, 09:00 AM
Joe

She can't seem to decide on where to stay in Paris. It's down to 2 choices in St. Germain the Hotel l'Odeon on St. Sulpice or the Prince de Conde on Rue Seine. My wife is a light sleeper and sensitive to noise so we probably should stay at the hotel which has a room facing the courtyard (Hotel l'Odeon, but she prefers the location of the Prince de Conde on Rue Seine but their rooms only face the street. The hotel says this is a quiet street with alot of art galleries and everything closes at 7:30 P.M.and the windows are glazed. She's interested in this hotel because it is so close to sights and the Seine.
Has anybody stayed here and could help us out? I wonder how early the noise would start in the morning and does double glazed windows really block out most of the noise?

Aug 22nd, 2001, 09:57 AM
xxx

Why don't you buy your high-maintainance wife a pair of earplugs?

Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:20 AM
Mr. Go

You have it all wrong, Joe. The idea is to have your wife drive you nuts IN a Paris Hotel. Oooo-la-la!

Glad I could help.

Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:22 AM
grasshopper

Mr. Go: Aren't you gone yet?

Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:43 AM
Surlok

Joe,

Tell your wife that Rue De Seine isn't a busy street, and she won't (likely) hear any street noise. The danger in Paris is the reconstruction work, this can be very noisy. Just make sure that anything like this in going on in the vicinity of the hotel you choose, whatever is.

Have a lovely stay in Paris, wherever is,

Surlok

Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:43 AM
anon

Hi Joe,

I haven't stayed at either of those hotels, but wanted to let you know that I too, am a light sleeper, and have found that for the most part, the double glazed windows does help.
We had one in Rome, and I found that even though our window faced the street, the noise at night wasn't bad.
If you took that hotel, and also got good earplugs, she should be fine.
Have a great trip!

Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:49 AM
ohoh

um...split a bottle of wine at dinner, have a lovely walk back to your hotel, have some of that extraordinary vacation S_X.
You'll sleep like babies.

Aug 22nd, 2001, 11:59 AM
Capo

Like Surlok said, the Rue de Seine isn't a busy street. Double-glazed windows should definitely help with any street noise and, if it turned out that it was too noisy for your wife, she could always wear earplugs, couldn't she?

I've stayed in that area before, on the Rue Jacob, and love it. (I suspect there tend to be a lot of art galleries in that area in part because it's so close to the Ecole des Beaux Arts.)

Aug 22nd, 2001, 12:04 PM
janice

Dear Joe,
Unless you're not going on vacation until 2004, don't assume that you will get into one of 2 hotels you've selected. Often, very popular hotels are booked months (I mean 6 or 8 or 10) in advance. I go to Paris 3 times a year, have a long list of hotels I like, and generally don't get into the first 5 or 6 I call.
I hope you have much better luck than I usually do, but I want you to keep this in mind so you have a fall back position (or 2 or 3).
Good luck!

Aug 22nd, 2001, 12:46 PM
Boswell

I used to stay at the Hotel Louisiane on the Rue de Seine. While it doesn't have boulevard-type traffic, you should know that it's a popular market street...lots of food markets. Which means you get roaring trucks delivering fish and produce at 6 in the morning. Something to think about if the missus wants to sleep late.

Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:42 PM
Michael

Dear Joe:
Hotel l'Odeon is a decent place but if is on a rather busy well traveled side street. If you can be promised that room facing the courtyard your wife should be fine. Though rue Seine may be a quite street I would not want to run the risk of a possible noisy neighbor.(not the norm, but always possible) There is trash pick up ever day in the city of Paris, and the streets are also cleaned each day. What time these events take place on rue Seine could make a difference.
The Odeon is also in a nice location. I have known people that were very pleased with their stay at this hotel.
Good luck.
Sincerely,
Michael