Paris Itinerary Suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may finally get my husband Paris this fall ... and this will be quite a feat as the man (a 2,000,000 mile plus traveller) has never wanted to be bothered with France as he has succombed to the unfortunate stereotypes that have persisted here in the U.S. He will be between Brussels and Paris on business and (grudgingly) agreed that I might join him and show him the city I have been raving about for so long (my daughter and I have been three time in the last several years). Now, I need some help from more worldly travellers as to what I might "show" him during the course of a two day (I will try for three, but ...) visit. Not too heavy on the museums ... I might possibly get him into either the Louvre or the Musee D'Orsay but only for a short visit. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 05:11 AM

What kinds of things does your husband like in other cities? There are so many Paris lovers on this board and many would like to help you turn your husband to a Paris lover if we knew a little more about his likes and dislikes.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 05:18 AM
ira

Hi ej,

You might find my trip report helpful.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34497442

We did a week in Paris with no museums.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 06:48 AM

Hi
PIck only one museum for a couple of hours, the Louvre if he cares about seeing Mona and Venus. Or the Orsay. Even though you may not be using it to full value, buy a one day museum pass so that you can skip the ticket-buyer's line.

A less-overwhelming choice is the Rodin, which is easy to stroll through, has a nice garden with a cafe, and that can lead you to a stroll through the left bank.
Rick Steves, not normally someone I follow, has a good walking route for Ste Chapelle, Notre Dame and the left bank.

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/countries/paris2.htm

So, one day I'd do some of the left bank.

The other day I'd plan a fantastic lunch someplace, not necessarily *****, just a great Parisian lunch on the right bank. Lauduree on rue Royale isn't haute cuisine, service can be brusque, and it's hectic at lunch, but the pastries are wonderful and it feels very Parisian. Spend the morning in the Louvre if you're going there, or browse the Place Vendome/Opera area, perhaps go inside to see the Opera.

In the p.m., walk off lunch, walk from Concorde up the Champs to the Arc and then to the Eiffel Tower.

I hope he loves it, and takes you back again.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 08:01 AM

Interesting samll museum is Musee de Moyenage, Left Bank. Interesting objects from early Paris and wonderful tapestries. Cafe at Louvre is excellent. Louvre is huge might want to limit your choices there. Les Invalides has interesting military museum that might appeal to your husband. It covers all French wars.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 08:14 AM

The section of the Invalides Museum dealing with WW II is one of the best museums I've ever been through -- and I'm not even particularly interested in WW II history. Of course, as Rick Steves comments, it does try to leave you with the idea that De Gaulle won the war singlehandedly, but the multimedia exhibits are fantastic. My husband and I were there with 2 other couples, and every one of us was fascinated; spent much longer there than we expected to.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 06:04 AM

Lunch at Jules Verne is a very special experience, plus the advantage of their private elevator, which gets you up in the tower without having to wait in line.