Highlights of Paris in 4 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two ladies going to Paris the first of March and haven't been since '68, could someone help me with "the must see's" as we'll be there 4 days. Favorite restaurants and sights. We are staying next to Notre Dame. Thanks for the information
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 01:37 PM

Any guidebook will list a 2-day, 3-day etc itinerary of "must-sees"... or you can pull down the Destination mini-guide right here on Fodor's (or Frommer's)... A "must-see" is whatever brings you to Paris...
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 02:54 PM

Hi
as mentioned, click on the top of this screen on Destinations and it will take you to the fodors information on Paris, including suggested itineraries.

I've been to Paris a number of times, recently went back for five days with a first-timer. This is what WE did; it's not necessarily what YOU want to do.

Louvre: 90 minute English-speaking tour of the highlights

Orsay Museum: short visit to see a few famous works of art, we were there slightly over an hour and didn't begin to do it justice but it was all the time we had. I was frustrated, because I love the museum.

Notre Dame, toured the interior on our own, but it was late in the day and the light wasn't good. Earlier would have been better.

Versailles--Even a relatively short visit took 2/3 of a day including back and forth to Paris. On such a short trip and in winter, I would not have done this, but my travel companion really wanted to go.

A walk through some of Montmartre--again, not my choice, at least not where we went, and not on a short visit. We did not get to Sacre Coeur which would have been more interesting to me.

Eiffel Tower--went up to the 2nd level observation deck.

A museum visit to the Grand Palais for a special exhibit (now gone), walk up the Champs, browsing in the designer shops i the area, ended up at the Arc but did not go inside.

Browsing, shopping, sightseeing in Opera, Place Vendome areas.

Seine boat trip--Vedettes de Pont Neuf, embarkation at Place du Vert Galant, halfway across Pont Neuf (it's below where the equestrian statue of Henri IV is). Nice to go in the evening so you can see the Eiffel Tower and other monuments lit.

What we didn't see and 'should have'--
Ste Chapelle--a big omission
some of the churches I love
Rodin Museum
le Marais
Marmottan museum
More stops for pastry then we had

Where are you staying? Two casual restaurants we enjoyed were Chez Maitre Paul in the 6th, and le Perraudin in the 5th, but we walked; I'm not sure I'd travel across town to get there, every neighborhood has some good places.

I have a long file on Paris; if you'd like to see it and if your email in box can accept large attachments, email me at
[email protected]

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 02:55 PM

sorry, you did say where you were staying.

Many people recommend le Vieux Bistro, right behind Notre Dame.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 06:33 PM

I hear the line ups are long buying tickets to the Louvre, Eiffle Tower. Is that true?

I thought Versailles was a 1 day trip?

Can anyone answer my questions?

I'm planning on going the first week of March.

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 06:41 PM

Two weeks or so ago, on a weekday early afternoon, there was no line to go to the 2nd floor observation deck of the ET. But whether that will be true in March I can't say. The ET is known for having long elevator lines, and even longer waits to come back down. However, if you can walk to the 2nd level, you save that wait for the elevator.

The Louvre often has a line, especially mornings, especially weekends. However, if you buy a Carte Musee/Museum Pass (buy it at many metro stations, and at many smaller museums), you can bypass the ticket-buyers' line for the Louvre and the Orsay museums. The best entrance to the Louvre, imo, is via the Palais Royal-Louvre metro station, underground walk through the Carrousel shops and there you are. If you want to experience the Pyramid, you can always exit that way.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 06:43 PM

for the other question:

Versailles can easily take a whole day, and even then you may not see everything, especially the outbuildings in the gardens, like the Trianons and the Hameau.
We limited our visit there this time due to other constraints, and we didn't go into the gardens at all.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 08:12 PM

Thanks Elaine.

I'm not sure about buying a pass for the museum because I read somewhere that it may not be worth it, if I'm not going to more than 1 museum a day. Is that true? Is it possible to visit more than 1 museum in 1 day?

I did go to the Louvre site. It listed that I can buy tickets in advance at Fnac, Virgin Megastore...etc.

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 08:39 PM

I think Rick Steves is the best guide to efficient sightseeing of the highlights. His suggestions for museum passes and ways to avoid lines are tops. All the suggestions above are very good. It depends what kind of things you like. I would always say go to the top of the Eiffel Tower.

All that said if you don't wander and take some time to just savor Paris,you are missing the best part. I like to discover a new favoirte cafe or little restaurant in the area I am staying even at the risk of an only medium good meal.

Enjoy Paris!
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 03:57 AM

Last month the ET observation deck at the top was closed, I don't know for how long.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 07:12 AM

I like going to the 2nd level of the Eiffel Tower best. I've been to the upper level on "sorta clear" days and it just wasn't worth the extra expense. But - if the day is spectacular, then, I'd say to go to the 3rd level.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 06:39 PM

Hi,

I read your post and while most of the replies seem to simply point you to a guidebook, my guess is that you wanted it personalized a bit based on others experience. Hopefully, you'll get some more of those types of responses. Here is my quick list of "must see/do's"

1. A stoll along the seine
2. A day at the Louvre
3. Eating Pain du Chocolat and enjoying the people watching on Isle de la cite.
4. Lunch at a cafe deep in the heart of the latin quarter.
5. Photo ops from the Eiffel Tower and surrounding park
6. Window shopping on the Champs Elysee while working your way down to the Arc de Triomphe.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Have fun.