Paris Itinerary Opinions

Mar 5th, 2003, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Paris Itinerary Opinions

My girlfriend and I are going to Paris in May. We want to see as much as possible but I don't want to over-extend our travels. Please take a look at our preliminary schedule and make any comments or suggestions about things to do/not to do. I am especially interested in opinions on my @ Leisure days. Thanks for the help.

Sat - Arrive @CDG 8am - rest and afternoon at leisure

Sun - day at leisure - evenings Illuminations tour to Eiffel/Seine

Mon - at Leisure

Tue - All day tour of Champagne region

Wed - Bruges, Belgium all day

Thu - Versailles in the morning - Afternoon at Notre Dame & Louvre

Fri - Normandy all day

Sat - London all day - This is my girlfriend's one request so it is probably set in stone

Sun - at Leisure

We are staying right on the 5th/6th line near St Micheal Metro.
Mar 5th, 2003, 10:32 AM

Have you been to Paris before? Are you at all interested in art?
Mar 5th, 2003, 10:38 AM

I've been to Paris for a total of 10 days over 2 trips. Haven't even needed to do one day trip outside the city, let alone FIVE in one week!
Mar 5th, 2003, 10:53 AM
ira

Hi Jester,
Are going to Paris and London, or just doing Paris as a base to sightsee?
I suggest that you either skip Bruges, or reverse your Wed/Thu travels.
Mar 5th, 2003, 10:55 AM

when you say "at leisure" do you have activities or interests in mind?

If you go to the Paris section under Destinations elsewhere here at Fodors.com you will find basic sightseeing suggestions, even some suggested itineraries.

I personally think your side trips are too many and too ambitious, to say the least, in what appears to be an 8 day, first-time trip.

Bruges is a very tiring, long -day-into -evening trip. Normandy ditto, and Normandy itself is large and spread out-where are you going there? Renting a car? Then another day in Champagne, another region where a car is almost necessary, and it will be a long day.
Then you are going to London on another day, where you will have perhaps 6 or 8 hours there? Leaving you 3.5 days in Paris itself? !!!!

I try not to state my opinions too judgmentally here, but with all due respect, I think you're nuts. I'm saying that with a kindly smile. If anything, cancel Bruges or Champagne or Normandy (perhaps cancel two of them) and add the time onto Paris, and/or onto London since that one is a must.

Also, I'd look into flying home from London, why go back and forth for such a short time? That wastes pleasure time.
Mar 5th, 2003, 11:01 AM

You can easily do a full week in Paris itself, maybe a one day trip to Versailles. Check out St. Chappelle and spend an afternoon at the Louvre. Another 1/2 day hanging out at Sacre Courer and area. Luxumberg Gardens. My favorite musuem was the De Orsay (sp?). I'd skip Belgium.
Good luck!
Mar 5th, 2003, 05:03 PM

I agree with roz--I'd skip Belgium. In Paris, I'd highly recommend D'Orsay and Pompidou along with the Louve. You could easily fit them in if you didn't go to Belgium, and they are well worth the time. If you plan to go to all 3, you could get a museum pass so that you wouldn't have to stand in lines.

The Louve is enormous, so you might want to check out what you might be interested there beforehand and head in that direction. Impossible to do in one day, but at least you could see some incredible things if you planned a bit first (Rick Steve's book, Mona Winks is very good for this and the other musuems in Europe.)

Have a great trip.
Mar 5th, 2003, 05:28 PM

artlover, I would appreciate it if you could explain the best way to purchase a museum pass. Thank you!
Mar 5th, 2003, 05:50 PM

Buy it at a smaller museum or the Arc de Triomphe so you won't have to stand in line. Then when you get to the Louve, find the entrance for pass holders and skip the line.
Mar 5th, 2003, 06:03 PM

The Museum pass can also be purchased at most major Metro stations. It's really worth it to bypass the lines at the bigger museums! The pass is purchased for 1, 3, or 5 consecutive days, but doesn't begin until the first time you use it, so you can buy it a day or so in advance if it is convenient, and not wait in a line at any museum. Just remember to sort of plan out which days you'll go to each museum, since closing dates vary.(The Louvre closes Tuesday, Versailles and the Musee d'Orsay close on Monday.)
Mar 5th, 2003, 06:34 PM

Ronda and Barb, thanks for the information. Do you happen to know the approximate cost of the pass? I am most probably interested in the 1 or 3 day passes.
Mar 5th, 2003, 07:11 PM

For the museum pass, 1 day is 15 euro, 3 days is 30 euro, 5 days is 45 euro. I don't think your plans are that bad if you don't like cities that much, some people don't. You'll have about two days for Paris itself, plus your arrival day. These trips are just pretty far and expensive, that's the thing I notice. I'd cancel London, of course, but I know you said your GF insists. Do you maybe want to rethink that? It is very expensive and time-consuming to go to London for a day. Surely you will some day come to Europe again, won't you? London is one of the cheapest cities to go to from US for airfare, anyway. I just think you are wasting your trip going to Paris for a short time and then adding expense to go to London for one day in there.

There are lots of cheap packages to London in offseason, for example.
Mar 5th, 2003, 07:25 PM

It is your trip and not at my expense, so do it as you want.

But, you are asking for advice, and that opens the door. So here goes.

Half a day at Versailles? I guess, if you just want to say you have been there that is all you need.

Less than an afternoon for the Louvre? Absurd to the point of ridiculous.
You are not going for any artistic reasons are you?

And what happened to the d'Orsay, Rodin, Jacquemart-Andre, Nissim de Comondo, Ste. Chapelle, and a few other famous attractions?

One day in London? Fits in with the rest of this silly schedule. Unless you spend at least one night there you will have more like half a day. And what can you see in London in half a day? I guess you can ride by quit a bit.

If you are interested in dashing out of town, don't forget Fontainebleau and Vaux le Vicomte. You might throw Chartre Cathedral into the mix as well.
These are all worthwhile objectives.

In looking over the listed schedule I really think you need a copy of the Green Michelin guide to Paris. It has a wealth of information in it.

I discovered places last year on my third visit since I retired that I never knew were so much fun to visit, particularly the Musee Jacquemart-Andre.

Mar 5th, 2003, 09:49 PM

Jester: Bob Brown was more polite than I am going to be -- this itinerary is absolutely INSANE. Read over all the comments so far, then do a search on this forum for Paris and then try again. When you put together a more reasonable itinerary we can then give constructive ideas.

(I am hoping aganist hope that your screen name means this is a troll post)
Mar 5th, 2003, 09:58 PM
mjs

As someone once remarked, "you left out Australia"
Mar 6th, 2003, 05:16 AM

You are spending only 3 full days in Paris. The rest of your trip will be spent mainly on trains, with very little time left over for seeing anything.

Paris is a huge city with many places worth visiting. Even if you spend the entire week there, this would still not be enough time to see all the main sights.
Mar 6th, 2003, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Let me try and elaborate on some of the questions/comments--

No, I have never been to Paris but we traveled outside the country before...

As far as art goes, I only want to see the Louvre and the Rodin

We are staying in Paris every night...

We have many activities in mind on our "at leisure" days, mainly seeing the major attractions in Paris and simply strolling around

All the trips were researched thru Parisvision...We would simply be along for the ride, no cars or individual travel

I realize this is a very time consuming and ambitious schedule, but it is just a start. I have plenty of time to get it right. We just do not want too much down time and wish that we would have seen more after-the-fact. I think we will seriously consider dropping the Belgium or Normandy or both.

The Versailles trip is only for a few hours in the morning with the rest of the day spent at Notre Dame and the Louvre, ending at the the Louvre so we can stay and look longer.

Finally, This is not a joke. I am a funny guy but this trip is going to cost too much money to joke about. Its my one big vacation this year and I hope to enjoy it!

Mar 6th, 2003, 10:06 AM

You say that you don't want to return home and "wish that we would have seen more after the fact."
As previous posters have said in =different words, "More is not necessarily better." Think quality rather than quantity!
Your initial schedule has five long and hectic days in a row (Tuesday thru Saturday). The fact that you will not be doing the driving is only a mitigating factor. They are all going to be long, active (and tiring) days. By the time your Saturday trip to London rolls around, you're likely to be a wreck!
Also, you might think of switching your Thursday schedule to Wednesday when the Louvre is open until 9:45. Otherwise, you won't have that much time at the museum after a trip to Versailles and a stop at Notre Dame. (The round-trip train ride alone to Versailles takes 90 or more minutes.)
In the planning of our 2002 trip to Paris, we considered a one-day trip to Normandy, but decided against it when we realized that one really needed two days to truly see the area.
Mar 6th, 2003, 10:14 AM

OK - now that we know you are serious. . .

You have many problems. Just one for example - You cannot do Versailles in "a few hours in the morning". Plan on most of the day - as Howard R says just the train trips to/from will take up almost 2 hours.
Mar 6th, 2003, 11:36 AM

Bravo, Jester, don't be bullied and belittled.

I admired the way you planned your days in Paris - leisure - go for it. Just make a list - not a schedule - of things you'd like to do and do them as time allows and the inspiration occurs.

I looked at the Parisvision website just to get an idea of their tours. I think it's a fine way to see Bruges and Normandy in the limited time you have available. I can't comment on the tour of the Champagne region because I've never been there.

Many people do the 1/2 day trip to Versaille with a tour and enjoy it but you can do it nicely on your own and if you want to spend more time than the tour allowed you can do so. Have a beer for me at the restaurant opposite the train station.

I would try to postpone the one day to London. Promise your young lady a long weekend there for her birthday.

Enjoy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO