Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Budget trip to Paris—12th or 19th arrondissement?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2011, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to spend one week in Paris this March. We've been to Paris twice before and this time we'll be on a fairly tight budget. I'm considering the Etap Paris La Villette in the 19th (rue JeanJaures near the Laumiere Metro) and I'm also considering this apartment in the 12th that I've seen on VRBO http://www.vrbo.com/21677. It's at the corner of rue de Charenton/Rue d'Aligre. They're pretty well the same price. I'm not really familiar with either neighborhood and I'm wondering which would be the best to stay in—any opinions would be appreciated.

Our main interests are the fine art museums—we're not big nightlife people.

I've stayed in Etap hotels before so I know what to expect in that regard. We've never stayed in an apartment.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 02:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I like the location of the apartment in the 12th, lots of good stuff within easy walking distance and good transportation connections. It is a fifth floor walkup, which would put me off, but if that doesn't bother you, I think the location is the better of the two.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Nikki—that's exactly what I wanted to know. The stairs don't bother me (it'll help burn off the pastries!).
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 02:49 PM

I would also prefer the location in the 12th. We also much prefer an apartment to a hotel so if you don't mind the stairs, I would definitely choose the apartment.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 03:29 PM

We stayed at the far end of the 12e in my recent visit to Paris with my wife, not in an apt but in a hotel. Loved the neighbourhood but yours is nearer to the centre so may be a bit different.

Ronald
http://paris-france-holiday.blogspot.com/
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 05:49 PM

I've stayed in this apartment and can recommend it as budget-friendly. Start getting in shape now for the climb. The stairs forced me to plan my day since I wasn't going to be casually dashing around the corner to pick up a soft drink. The position at the Aligre market is indeed useful for an apartment stay -- pick up vegetables, pate, cheese, meat, wine etc. or choose from a number of roast-chicken stalls. The vegetables, it must be said, are not the freshest in Paris, but okay. There's a supermarket on Aligre plaza and, east of the apartment, a laundromat just around the corner beside a fusion-minded Asian restaurant.
The area is within easy walking distance of Gare de Lyon and Bastille, although the nearest Metro station (Ledru-Rollin) is on one of the lesser Metro routes. The Gare de Lyon stop for the Charles de Gaulle bus is an easy enough walk with wheeled luggage.
This is a residential neighbourhood, with a multicultural flavour, and outsiders tend to be students rather than tourists. I liked the selection of bistros etc.
The apartment itself is as presented on VRBO: Small, plain, but in good working order. Quiet, too, looking into a tiny inner courtyard.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone—this makes my decision a lot easier. My correspondence with the apartment owner has been very friendly so I think we'll go ahead and book—
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 07:13 PM

Good decision. Bet you don't stay in hotels in Paris after this; apartments are so much more comfortable.