Paris itinerary 3.5 days...

Jan 28th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Paris itinerary 3.5 days...

Please critique my "revised" Paris itinerary...we are going in 1.5 wks. We usuallly have this routine: leave early in the AM, eat lunch out, sightsee more in the aftn and go back to apt around 4 or so...take an hour or two nap..go back out for dinner/walking around around 7 PM.

We aren't huge museum fans, and love quaint, charming, medieval areas. If you see anything that we are missing, can combine, etc let me know. We haven't decided on an "area" to head to Friday or Sat night, so suggestions welcome! We'd like an area that is somewhat lively, with restaurants and a place to get a drink or two. Thanks!

SAT- land at 10, go to apt, go to local market and get some lunch/snacks- Nap for an hour or two

appx. 4 PM- head to Eiffel tower, go up if line isn't bad, take Bus #69 'tour', get off in Marais- eat here

Sunday- arrive Versailles first thing, then possibly a brief (2 hr) trip to the Louvre when we get back.
PM- Il St Louis/dinner- Seine boat cruise

MON- Notre Dame, St Chapelle etc. (found a good walking tour), Latin Qtr
PM- Montmartre

Tues AM- Montmarte or Marais area during the day
3 PM train to Amsterdam

Friday PM- Possibly trocadero area?

Saturday- Champs Elysees, Arc Du Triomphe, (either Eiffel/Louvre if we haven't done them yet)
PM- Undecided, whatever area we have seen and liked.
Jan 28th, 2009, 01:43 PM

Skip the Champs Elysees in favor of the Luxembourg gardens. I'd also try to visit the Opera house, the Palais Garnier.
Jan 28th, 2009, 01:53 PM

I wouldn't nail down your visit to Ste-Chapelle, as it's really important to see it when the sun is shining.

What, specifically, interests you in the "Trocadero area?"

I'd skip the Champs Elysées, too.

I'm all mixed up about when you plan to do Montmartre and the Marais.
Jan 28th, 2009, 02:27 PM

My advice - don't nap when you get there. Yes, I know, you'll be tired, jet-lagged, etc., but the best advice is to stay awake during the daytime your first day. Otherwise, you won't be able to get to sleep on Friday night, and the jet-lag will persist.

Instead, leave your bags at your hotel (you probably won't be able to check in anyway), then go out for a walking tour around the center of Paris. I've created one and posted it at this link: http://tinyurl.com/3ygokk

Get yourself oriented, have an early supper, then go to bed once it's dark. You'll wake up refreshed and ready to go on Saturday morning with the worst of jet-lag behind you.
Jan 28th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Good ideas, thanks. I will def keep St. Chapelle in mind for a sunny day...

As for Marais/Montmartre, I had planned on heading to those general areas on Sat/Monday nights,as I'm trying to have a general idea of where to go each evening.I figured we will revisit either/both on Tuesday (if we saw things we want to revisit)to shop, etc.

A girl I work with said that the Trocadero area is lively at night....is it not? Should I replace it?
I will def. look at the Palais Garnier/Opera house. Thanks.

Our itinerary is very loose, but we have found that if we don't have a general plan we end up wasting the day trying to decide what to do! Very indecisive (both of us)
Jan 28th, 2009, 05:02 PM

I just returned from Paris and I absolutely agree that you should not go to Ste. Chapelle on a cloudy day. The windows are very old and covered with soot. Unless they are illuminated by the sun you really can't see them. Ste. Chapelle is very small, by the way. When the place fills up with tourists, you can't wait to get out of there.

Sunday is the best day to go to Ste. Chapelle because the courthouse is closed and you won't have to stand in line very long to go through security.

If you like "medieval areas" you would probably like the Latin Quarter up around the Pantheon.

Thin
Jan 28th, 2009, 05:13 PM

The Trocodero Area is very lively at night, but most of the people here are tourists coming to see the Eiffel Tower or Africans selling miniature Eiffel Towers. I wouldn't call the area "sophisticated" or "charming." If you walk up Avenue Kleber or Avenue D'Iena or Avenue Victor Hugo, you will find many expensive shops and cafes. This is a very "rich" neighborhood.

Thin
Jan 28th, 2009, 05:51 PM

Agree with observation about St Chappel, concerning Sundays and sunlight - also, the second day in Europe is usually when jet lag is taking it's toll, so planning on going to Versailles and the Lourve on Saunday may be biting off more than you can chew. perhaps, then the lat.Qtr is a good thing on Sunday, after retruning from Vrs. as you can cut short a visit to the LQ and really not cheat yourself out of anything.
For a medeval feel in the area around the Pantheon, may I suggest the following:

Take the metro to Place Monge, head north on rue Monge, one block, on your right is the old Roman ruins in the Arenas de Lutece - a very tranquil park and intersting Roman arena. Come back out of the Arena on Rue Monge, across the street you'll notice some steps leading up to a street - this is Rue Rollin, walk to the end of Rue Rollin until it dead ends into Rue de Cardinal Lemoine, follow that to the left and walk around Place de Contrascarpe. Plenty of nice cafe's here for a brief rest. At this point you can walk south (down hill) where there is some neat shopping, and/or north (uphill) towards the Pantheon. As you head north, you'll come to Rue Clovis, on your left is the Pantheon and the intriguing looking Church of St. Etienne du Mont, where St Genevieve is reputedly buried. Immediately to your right on Rue Clovis, about 50 yards, is a part of the city wall that predates 1000 AD., just siting there between two buidlings. AS you continue north the street turns into Rue Descartes until you come to Place de l'Abbie Bassett. Notice the many bars in this area, popular with Fr. students, where on most weekends you will be serenaded by loud French drinking songs at about 1:30 to 2 am. From here are lots of little streets to explore, dotted with equally intriguing restuarants that mostly specialize in regional cuisine. Keep heading in a generally northern direction until you get to Boulevard St. Germaine. From there your nearest Metro stop is Maubert-Mutualite on your right, or you may choose to stay on the surface and grab a bus to head west on St. Germaine back towards the 6th and 7th. Hope this helps!
Jan 28th, 2009, 08:04 PM

You are packing "way" too much in such a short timeframe.
Save Eiffel tower for a day other than arrival as you will be tired and if it is crowded you'll feel cranky.
Skip Versailles for another ocassion; best to go when the fountains are on - I know, during summer with the crowds. The experience with the fountains is magnificent!
A visit to the Louvre for just a few hours is a waste of time/money. Too much to see and absorb; you will do yourself a disservice if you just stroll by.
Skip Trocadero; you'll see same sights from the Bateau Muche ride.
Spend time in Montmarte area; see a show at the Opera Garnier; go to the Catacombs; take one of the guided walks in Marais area; take one of the organized bike rides.
Get a Rick Steves Paris guidebook and see his sample itineraries.
Jan 29th, 2009, 10:35 AM

A visit to the Louvre for just a few hours is a waste of time/money. Too much to see and absorb; you will do yourself a disservice if you just stroll by.

I have to disagree with this. The OP already said they are "not huge museum fans". If you plan in advance, you can see a few important things in the Louvre for a few hours and then move on. Over the years, we have done the same, and I don't feel the slightest bit disadvantaged for having done so. We'd rather sit at a cafe and people-watch for those "found" hours rather than wander around a museum analyzing the art (we'd consider those the "lost" hours). If you ARE a museum-person then, of course, give yourselves more time.