Search

Paris Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Itinerary

Is this reasonable? Can I squeeze in more on Day Four?<BR><BR>Day One<BR>Early Eve Arrive Paris<BR>Walk around Latin Quartier/ St. Germain<BR><BR>Day Two<BR>Musee Picasso (3rd)<BR>La Place Des Vosges (3rd)<BR>Notre-Dame &amp; Afternoon Organ Recital (4th)<BR><BR>Day Three<BR>Louvre (1st)<BR>Turkish bath at the Paris mosque (5th)<BR>Walk by Arab Institute (5th)<BR>Vedettes du Pont Neuf Night Cruise 1hr (6th)<BR><BR>Day Four<BR>Musee d'Orsay (7th)<BR>Eiffel Tower (7th)<BR><BR>Day Five<BR>Arc de Triomphe (8th)<BR>Champs Elysees (8th)<BR>Galleries Lafayette (9th)<BR><BR>Day Six<BR>Pere-Lachaise cemetery (11th/20th)<BR>Catacombs (14th)<BR>Sacre Cour (18th)<BR>La Defense (21st)
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 01:43 PM

It looks reasonable to me with the possible exception of your Day Six plan. The activities that you have for that day are spread out all over the city so you'll be doing a lot of running around. I enjoyed Pere-Lachaise, so wouldn't suggest that you skimp on your time there. You might want to consider moving your visit to Sacre Coeur up to Day Five, after your stop at Galleries Lafayette, since it's just north of there also in the 9th.
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 03:41 PM

Excellent plannng, Biscuit. Overall, it's an agenda that is free from rushing!<BR>I note that you have left lots of time for each of your museum visits. I can especially endorse your decision to spend the better part of a day at the d'Orsay. We did the same thing and that day was one of the high points of our trip. Make sure you have lunch in its beautiful dining. It's less expensive than you might think.<BR>You might want to try to squeeze in the Rodin Museum somewhere. It doesn't require that much time and is well worth inclusion in your itinerary.
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 03:44 PM

PS: You should also add a stop at Ste. Chappelle during the afternoon of the second day to see the stained glass windows, especially if it's a sunny day. It's right near Notre Dame.
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 03:48 PM

I think if you wanted to you could domore on both days 2 and 4, but it's up to you. I usually plan one or two things a day and then just wander, if the weather's nice. Day 6 seems a little frenetic.<BR><BR>And I'm sure you've done your research, but have you planned your day at the hammam at the Mosqu&eacute;e keeping in mind they alternate days for men and women? (and I think there are more days for men, but that may have changed).<BR><BR>Anyway, looks very good to me.
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 04:14 PM

Since it looks like day five is your shopping day, be sure it is not a Sunday. Also, add the Rud du Faubourg St.Honore
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 06:29 PM

It looks okay except day 6, which doesn't seem possible. Actually, I think you could move at least one of those things to day 4, such as the catacombs or La Defense.
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 07:14 PM

I have several comments on your plan of visitation. First, put Ste. Chapelle up high on your list. Second, demote the Picasso Museum, even consider dropping it. It is not a good museum, and I did not think it even has good Picasso. That might touch off an argument, but that is my opinion. Third, two much better alternatives to the Picasso are readily available: Musee Rodin and Musee Jacequemart Andree on Boulevard Hausmann.<BR><BR>Day 5 does not seem to have much in it unless you plan on spending most of the day in the department stores. That is very easy to do I might add.<BR><BR>I agree with the comments about the day you go to La Defense. You do have a wide area to cover geographically.<BR>On the other hand, you can get around Paris quickly. <BR><BR>La Place Des Voges is pleasant, but it is mostly people watching. We sat there one sunny afternoon and watched different parenting styles as mothers or nannies (no fathers did we see) allowed their children to splash in the fountain. We saw everything from total control freaks to total neglect (which prompted us to start walking over that way because a toddler, totally unattended, was about to fall in the fountain and the water was deep enough to cause a very real problem.) We decided the parenting prize went to the mother who let her son splash away in the fountain, get soaking wet, while she watched like a hawk but did not interfere. The little fellow was having a ball. Then she fished him out so to speak, dried him off with a small towel, and off they went with the child laughing. That was much better than the kids who were dragged off kicking and screaming. <BR><BR>Day 4 raises a good question. My answer is NO, don't go for any more. I would be hard pressed to get out of the Musee d'Orsay!! But you can if you must tear yourself away. You might hit that one early, then go over to the Musee Rodin, and then to the Eiffel Tower. The Rodin exhibit is virtually on the way. And you must see those outdoor sculptures of Balzac and the Gates of Hell and the Burghers of Calais. (I remember Balzac because some nutty woman when I was kept calling him Prozac.)<BR><BR>I do not see where you included Napoleon's box or the Trocadero with those wonderful museums. Those two, and as well as quite a few others would rank high on my list long before I got down to the Arab place and the Catacombs. I could start with Musee Marmotton, Musee Nissim de Comondo, and H&ocirc;tel de Soubise and end with Hotel des Invalides, where all of the armour and guns are. I skip that one personally because I have no real interest in the development of ways to kill people. <BR><BR>But, not to worry, we are splitting hairs here over what is best. You will enjoy yourself and it will be a memorable visit.<BR><BR>
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 10:00 PM

Day one, don't forget to visit the Pantheon. You might have time to take that river cruise.<BR><BR>You could visit the Centre Pompidou on day two, perhaps before the Picasso museum. La Place des Vosges is a nice place to have lunch but not much more. I agree that Ste. Chappelle is worth a visit but during the day.<BR><BR>On Day four you probably could stop by Napoleon's Tomb on your way from the Musee D'Orsay to the Eiffel Tower. Finish the day with a river cruise, if you didn't already.<BR><BR>On day five, You might want to start day five at La Defense, then hit the Arc de Triomphe (take the metro), then walk down the Champs Elysees to the Louvre. <BR><BR>
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 11:48 PM

Biscuit:<BR>Make sure, the museums are open, they day you want to visit them. Other than that, I agree with the remarks above.<BR><BR>As you seem to like museums, don't forget to check out the special art exhibits. Best is to get a copy of Pariscope for exact opening hours of each. <BR><BR>I don't know, when you will be in Paris,<BR>but I would't leave out the following art exhibits:<BR><BR>Rene Magritte: Jeu de Paume, February 11-June 9<BR>Centre Pompidou: Philippe Starck, February 26-Mai 12<BR>Grand Palais: Marc Chagall, March 13-June 23<BR>Gali&eacute;ra: Marlene Dietrich, June 14-October 12<BR><BR>You can see more details about current and future art exhibits on this web site:<BR>www.parisavecvous.com
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions. Making modifications galore thanks to your help.<BR><BR>St.Cirq: We'd have to go on separate days to the Hammans for the baths?<BR><BR>We'd also like to have lunch in the park near the Eiffel. Does anyone know of any good shops nearby to pick up snacks?<BR><BR>Here is the revised itinerary. Comments?<BR><BR><BR>Day One<BR>Early Eve Arrive Paris<BR>Walk around Latin Quartier/ St. Germain<BR>Pantheon (6th)<BR>Walk around Latin Quartier/ St. Germain<BR><BR>Day Two<BR>Pompidou(4th)<BR>Ste. Chapelle (4th)<BR>Notre Dame(4th)<BR>Walk around Marais<BR><BR>Day Three<BR>Louvre (1st)<BR>Jardin du Luxembourg (6th)<BR>Vedettes du Pont Neuf Night Cruise 1hr (6th)<BR><BR>Day Four<BR>Musee d'Orsay (7th)<BR>Musee Rodin (7th)<BR>Eiffel Tower (7th)<BR><BR>Day Five<BR>La Defense (21st)<BR>Arc de Triomphe (8th)<BR>Champs Elysees (8th)<BR>Galleries Lafayette (9th)<BR>Rud du Faubourg St.Honore <BR>Sacre Cour (18th)<BR>Walk around Montmartre<BR><BR>Day Six<BR>Pere-Lachaise cemetery (11th)<BR>Turkish bath at the Paris mosque (5th)<BR>Walk by Arab Institute (5th)<BR>Catacombs (14th)<BR>
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 11:43 AM

That sounds delightful -- try to avoid Montmartre on a Saturday or Sunday, it will be crowded with tons of tourists. <BR>Have a great trip! (And if you miss any, well, you'll just have to come back again.)<BR><BR>If you want to catch a museum in the Marais (instead of the Picasso, which I agree with Bob B, isn't terrific) visit Carnavalet. It is small and interesting as it traces the history of Paris.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 11:48 AM

Biscuit,<BR>This was my post on 09/04/2001 re the hammam:<BR><BR>Hammam de la Mosquee, 29-31, Rue Geoffroy-Saint-Hilaire, 5th arr. Mitro: Jussieu, or Censier-Daubenton. <BR>Tel. 01 43 31 18 14. <BR>Ladies: Mon, Wed and Sat 11 am to 8 pm. <BR>Men: Tue 10 am to 8 pm, Fri 11 am to 8 pm. <BR>Entrance fee: FF FF 63.- (maybe a little more now), i.e. some 10 Euro.<BR>Details taken from my Paris guide book. I hope details are still ok. <BR><BR>IMO, your programm AFTER the hammam is too ambitious, unless you take a real nap. <BR><BR>
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 10:02 AM

Put the Picasso Museum back on your schedule. It is housed in a beautiful mansion built in the mid 1600s and restored for the museum. There is a nice garden for relaxing with a beverage during your visit. But it's the Picassos to go for. This is Picasso's own collection and was acquired by the state in lieu of estate taxes. There are hundreds of paintings, sculptures, ceramics, sketches, etc. Not all on display, of course. As I recall, there are also some other artists represented from Picassos's own collection - Bracque and Matisse come to mind. <BR><BR>Place de Vosges is one of the lovliest squares in Paris and if you get a nice day it's a great place to have a picnic lunch. There are plenty of places around to get a baguette. If you're lucky as we were in February 02, you will find some musicians entertaining the visitors to the square - most of them families.<BR><BR>If you have time when visiting Notre Dame and want to see the flying buttresses take a few minutes to see the Deportation Memorial also. You can also go to the observation deck of the Samaritaine Dept Store for one of the best views of Paris and it's free.<BR>
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 10:42 AM

We can disagree about the quality of the collection on display at the Picasso Museum, but you're right it is housed in a lovely mansion. IMO, the best Picassos went to museums and collectors for $$$ rather than be left to his various ex-wives, lovers and children (and the state for taxes). What's left is OK and there are some good pieces, but it isn't the cream of the crop, so to speak. Unless they are Picasso fans, since there's only a limited time I'd pass on it this trip. After all, he's been to Paris before and this is her first trip. I'll bet they'll be back again!
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 04:23 PM

I suggested Biscuit keep the Picasso Museum because it was on his first list as was the Place de Vosges and both were eliminated because of negative comments. Obviously Biscuit must have had some desire to see them. One can easily have lunch at Vosges, go to the Carnevalet, a beautiful building and museum, and go to Picasso in the same afternoon. Or reverse it and go the the Picasso first in the morning.<BR><BR>Does the Picasso have the &quot;best&quot; Picassos? If viewing only the best were the criteria for the existence of a museum, most could close up or keep one gallery open. And there are very few museums that have enough Picassos to show how his style evolved in all the media in which we worked. <BR><BR>Biscuit, if you have time after visiting the Louvre cross the Rue de Rivoli for a few minutes in the Palais Royal with the shopping arcade and gardens, try for the Opera Garnier (fantastic Chagall ceiling) near Galeries Lafayette, the Cluny Musee just off Blvd Sainte Germain.<BR><BR>If you're pressed for time at the Rodin, concentrate on the gardens. Turn left after entering for the Burghers of Calais and the Gates of Hell. The Thinker and Balzac are to the right.<BR><BR>Relax, have fun and things will be there for your next trip as uhoh_busted<BR>says.<BR><BR><BR><BR> <BR><BR><BR> <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><B R><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR> <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><B R><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR> <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><B R><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR> <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><B R><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR> <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><B R><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR> <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><B R><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR> <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><B R><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR> <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><B R><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR> <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks uhoh and jsmith for your knowledgable opinions. Sadly, I wish I could do everything! I love Picasso. I saw an amazing exhibition of his here a year or so ago, so it made it easier to remove. However, we will go given the time. If not, there will be other opportunities.<BR><BR>I added Pompidou though I've heard it's lousy because of Ursula's post regarding the Starck exhibit. I'm a designer, so I love to see anything designer-related in addition to fine art. Just going to pop in and have lunch at Georges.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 06:56 PM

If you're in NYC in the next couple of months, be sure to train it two stops into Queens to the temporary home of MOMA. There is a very exciting Picasso/Matisse exhibit. As contemporaries they really weren't in &quot;competition&quot; with each other -- but they were always aware and interested in seeing what the other had done.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 09:40 PM

Biscuit,<BR>Thanks for adding the Pompidou! ;o) And it's absolutely not lousy. Has gone under renovation recently.<BR>From its terrace on the 6th floor, you will have the most amazing view over Paris.<BR>And Georges, yes, you must go. Staff can be a bit snippy.<BR>Have the wonderful luke-warm chocolate cake 'moelleux'.<BR>You can share it, it's very rich, but to die for.<BR>Check out the Pompidou's web site, pretty cool and informative.<BR>www.centrepompidou.fr<BR>I hope getting to Paris while the Starck exhibit is on.<BR>Don't miss the museum's shop. Very trendy and designed articles there.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 11:59 PM

PS,<BR>Saw the Matisse-Picasso exhibit which is now at the MoMa last December at the Grand Palais in Paris. I thought it was very interesting to be able to see paintings of the two in the same exhibition.<BR>BTW, the Pompidou is open daily 11 AM to 10 PM, except Tuesdays. Usually, there is a long line before 11 AM (they check bags, etc. at the entrance). I'd go late afternoon and have dinner at the Georges. If you do so, make a reservation (window table), before you visit the different exhibits. The permanent collection might interest you as well. A lot of modern pieces around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -