Paris in the springtime? daytrip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Husband and I decided Paris for 5 nights in the spring...when best to go?? How do you feel about travel there in April? will it be too crowded and expensive? Also debating a day trip to the countryside ....interest in vineyards/B&B ....any worthwile day trip for 1 day/night??

Thanks!
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 05:39 PM

Giverny and Monet's Garden in bloom, in a lovely small lost-in-time village 3 miles from Vernon, frequent trains here from Paris then mini-bus to Giverney. For wine closest is Loire, Vouvray one renown town with winery tours - a few miles from tours, train to St-Pierre-des-Corps (1 hr from Paris) then taxi as few buses. Or Montlouis, nearby St Pierre-des-Corps, accessible by train nearly as prestigious and also wine houses to tour.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

oh, thank you.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 06:22 PM

Paris is lovely any time of year. April is good, May is better (fewer showers in May). It's a big city - there will be crowds. Expensive? Well, with the dollar down about 33 percent against the euro, yes, prices won't be cheap, but that said, I've always thought hotels and food were a bargain in Paris compared to lots of other destinations.
For nearby vineyards you could head to either the Loire Valley or the Champagne region.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 07:11 PM

I will be in Paris in the spring as well...beginning of April to be exact. My first time-very excited! I was thinking of a day trip to the champagne region. Has anyone done the tours that include ride, tours of Moet & Chandon and Mumm, lunch, & cathedral? Any advice greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 04:23 AM

May has more holidays so you'd need to plan around those (many museums are closed, not that there aren't many other things to do those days). "Expensive" - I don't think there is that much difference in daily expenses between seasons... the main things that are priced according to 'season' would be airfare and some hotels. Restaurants, entrance fees, transportation..those don't change. "Crowded" - some sights will have a degree of crowding regardless but basically the warmer it gets the larger the crowds will grow. April is a good time to go, espec. later in the month so temps go up a few degrees. I don't think 5 nights is enough for an overnight outside Paris if you've never been before. Your 1st night will be the one you need to overcome any jet-lag and your 5th night will be your final evening in Paris and preparing for your departure. Traveling elsewhere for an overnight would take the better part of two days. Visiting Giverny or Versailles or Chartres for a day-trip only would be ok..
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 04:31 AM
ira

Very good advice from travelnut.