Paris in mid November?

May 11th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Paris in mid November?

I've been there in the spring, but I expect this time of the year will be colder and grayer. Have the trees lost their leaves by mid November? From the pictures I've seen, it didn't appear totally bleak, like we are used to in our more northern climates.

Do people still sit outdoors, especially at the cafes?

I'm taking my daughter and I would like her to get a feeling for the charm of the city. But then again, it is Paris, so how bleak could it be?
May 11th, 2007, 01:17 PM

My wife and I were there in Oct/Nov 05 and found the weather delightful, the vacation crowds gone, and sitting outdoors very comfortable. A brief excursion to the chateau country saw colors at their peak.
May 11th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you USNR. That makes me smile!
May 11th, 2007, 01:35 PM

I was there last november. Weather was cool, but at times warm enough to take off jacket. People sit outdoors year round if possible, they put heaters and plastic "tents" out to keep people warm.
I ate outdoors at Places des Vosges and Brasserie de l'Ile St Louis.
May 11th, 2007, 01:59 PM

The weather doesn't seem to affect outside people watchers at the cafes. Just have warm beverages. That said...We hit snow on the outskirts of the city mid-Nov. about 6 years ago. I would go prepared for anything and everything. One thing to remember is how early it becomes dark. So save museums for the late afternoon and enjoy the early daylight for walks, street shopping and park visits.
May 11th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Good point about the museums. Why use the daylight hours for indoor stuff. I wonder, are most of the museums open late?
May 11th, 2007, 02:31 PM

Most museums are not open late. A few have one or two evenings with later hours - the Louvre and Pompidou come to mind.
May 11th, 2007, 02:36 PM
ira

Hi D,

>But then again, it is Paris, so how bleak could it be?<

Excellent thought.

May 11th, 2007, 02:38 PM

I have visited Paris in Nov., Dec., and Jan. Gas heaters in the cafes allowed outdoor seating all those visits.
The only bleak part is the short hours of daylight and the low angle of the sun. To me the bistros and cafes seem more cheerful during cold weather and grey days. There may be a brown leaf or two stuck
to a branch.
November also brings the release of the nouveau beaujolais, a great time to be in Paris.
May 11th, 2007, 03:14 PM

I was in Paris last November..first into second week. The leaves were falling but most of them were still on the trees. I loved the weather. It was cool enough for a coat and scarf and that was great with me. I hate, hate, hate hot weather and humidity.

We had clear and overcast days, it rained one night but stopped by morning. Had one day where the skys were threatening all day, had a few sprinkles but it never out and out rained. I thought c'est parfait.
May 11th, 2007, 03:26 PM

I found that when I went in off-season (Nov, Dec, Jan) that there was a different "vibe" to the city. Things seems less hurried, the people less stressed, crowds smaller. And the city looked "different"...these is something about walking in cold or drizzle, gray days.nights....and then seeing the welcoming neon sign of a cafe just ahead..hard to put into words.
May 11th, 2007, 03:34 PM

I am so glad someone posted this. Paris is one of the places we are considering over Thanksgiving.

dave
May 11th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

"A different vibe to the city"...

What a nice description; perhaps the absence of the hordes of visitors will allow for a glimpse of the Paris of old.

I live in Key West and know that feeling. During hurricane season when all the tourists have been evacuated, the little island seems to breathe a sigh of relief, and suddenly becomes young and fresh again.
May 11th, 2007, 07:58 PM

It's my favorite time of the year to be in Paris. I don't find it bleak at all. Someone wrote "expect anything," in regard to weather, which is true. I've been in Novembers when the weather was mild, cold, rainy, gray, sunny, but it was always fabulous.

I remember a lot of leaves on the sidewalks and some still on the trees one November. My daughter and I were sitting at a front window of a cafe having our last wine of the day when a gust of wind blew leaves from the tree in front of the cafe. A man behind us began singing "The autumn leaves drift by my window the autumn leaves of red and gold."

I don't mind it getting dark early either; it's beautiful to walk along the river and see the lights reflected in the Seine. Oh, oh, I'm getting homesick for Paris.

May 11th, 2007, 08:18 PM

I've seen roses still in bloom in mid-November in the Rodin gardens and the trees still had leaves.
May 14th, 2007, 09:58 AM

<<I am so glad someone posted this. Paris is one of the places we are considering over Thanksgiving.

dave>>

I've flown Thanksgiving day a few times and it was great, low fares, plenty of empty seats so you can spread out. The airports are less busy because most people have flown earlier in the week. Chances are better of getting a good deal on hotels in Paris, shorter, or no lines at the main sights ... lots of advantages.

May 14th, 2007, 12:18 PM

Dottee,

The answer is Q all the above. Paris is on the same parallel as Philly,Pitts,NY so it will be about the same. my wife and I like less crowded conditions and not too hot. There is so much to do you will need one down day.

Good Luck!!