Paris in May or Oct??

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 07:26 PM
Melissa

Paris in May or Oct??

My husband and I are extremely flexible and I am thinking of taking him to paris in May or Oct. which time of year is better for seeing the sites not the crowds? Please help, I am planning a surprise!

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 04:51 AM
Monica

I was in France in October 1997 and May 1999 and May is the better of the two. October was very cool, always having to wear my sweater. In May, I wore a light jacket in the early a.m. and evenings. Not too crowded either.

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 05:06 AM
Lori

I agree with Monica. I was in paris in October 1997 as well and it rained alot and was quite cool. Went again in May 1999 and the weather was fantastic. Monica, you following me? <BR>Looking at beginning of September this year.

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 05:34 AM
Monica

Lori, thanks for mentioning the rain. It did rain a lot! No, I'm not following you, we just have great taste! I'm going to Germany in June!

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 05:56 AM
Al

One factor not mentioned: the hours of daylight are much longer in May than in October.

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 06:36 AM
Lori

Melissa, <BR>The weather can be a surprise anytime of the year in Paris - there is no "norm" I'm convinced. We've been there in May and October and experienced a cold May and a warm Oct. (Last year we went in Spring and it was lovely). It can rain virtually all year round in Paris (and for days on end too) so always be prepared. Speaking of weather we spent a Christmas in Paris one year and ran around with just sweaters on several of the days - you just cannot plan on the weather. As Al said the days in May are longer which is a real plus for sightseeing and the flowers are all in bloom - but Oct. is pretty too as the leaves are turning. Whenever you go just take an umbrella, comfortable walking shoes and layer your clothes - you can always add or subtract that way!

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 07:31 AM
elvira

I'm a fan of fall in Paris (the lighting is incredible for photographs) but May is better weather (warmer, less rain). October probably has fewer crowds than May, but both months are less mobbed than summer months (there are ALWAYS crowds in Paris, but the busloads of tourists are not so plentiful in October). In May, Giverny is open.

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 08:20 AM
Lori

Good point Elvira, Giverny is open in May and is spectactular.

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 06:55 PM
Donna

I'd vote for May because Giverny is open and there are many more flowers - everywhere.

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 12:34 PM
Andria

May......... <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>October is too rainy.

Old Feb 2nd, 2000, 11:58 AM
Mary

My daughter and I visited Paris the last week in May 1999 and it was hot. This was part of a two week visit to London and Paris. While in London, we froze on some days while other days were very nice. During the three days we spent in Parism, the weather was very hot...so hot we got sunburned while touring the sites. <BR>The crowds were manageable this time of year. The Eiffel Tower was crowded but I have a suspicion it is always crowded. Have fun...