Reload this Page >

Paris in July or August?

Search

Paris in July or August?

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2001, 05:54 AM
greg

Paris in July or August?

Would you recommend travel to Paris in July or August?

Old May 4th, 2001, 07:04 AM
elvira

Sure.

Old May 4th, 2001, 07:09 AM
michele

Greg, <BR>July is fine. I hated Paris in August.Seemed to be much hotter than July and filled with tourists. Really crowded. Many smaller neighborhood restaurants and shops were closed. So, if you have a choice, pick July. <BR> <BR>Michele

Old May 4th, 2001, 10:25 AM
JJHEN

I was in Paris in August, and that is the month that most of the Parisians take off for vacation. The city is loaded with tourists, and MANY of the shops/restaurants/etc are closed for that month. It also rained a ton when we were there, and then was VERY hot as well. Bring a variety of clothing for fickle, unpredictable weather.

Old May 4th, 2001, 10:43 AM
jo ann

Greg - due to school schedules and business travel I must do in June, we are limited to summer travel. We went to Paris and further sout in July, 1999, and I can honestly tell you that the only places we found to be dreadfully crowded was Giverny (not worth doing, frankly, given all of the tour buses. And we had arrived over an hour ahead of opening!)and the lines for Eiffel Tower were appalling. <BR>But, the city itself was very doable in full summer, and we are heading back there again this July. <BR>It does get quite warm during the day, so I would recommend that you choose a hotel w/air conditioning to get a good night's sleep.

Old May 4th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Fred

Really a tossup. Many people enjoy August more than other times they've been there. They said it was quieter, lines for sites shorter. Others preferred July since nothing was closed, while in August some small shops and restaurants closed. Greater chance of more heat in August although never bet on Paris weather. For more Paris information e-mail me - [email protected]

Old May 4th, 2001, 11:08 AM
Christina

There is not a greater chance of more heat in August according to any factual source I've viewed with historical data for Paris. They are about the same, but if anything, avg temps are a fraction higher in July (eg, see weather page on www.paris.org which came from Meteo France). I've gone in July quite a few times and like it a lot. I've even been to Giverny in July and it was not empty but not so crowded it was unenjoyable. I would prefer July for several resasons, 1) there are not as many tourists (of course it's tourist season but many Europeans vacation in August); 2) the cultural arts season really is dead in August, this is very important to me but perhaps not to you (ballet, opera end mid-July, there are not as many concerts in August, either). Some people like August because it is kind of slow and laid-back, easier to get a parking space, etc. I don't go to attractions like Eiffel Tower so that doesn't bother me (Giverny was def. touristy, though), but I know the lines are long there all summer; Parisians taking vacation would not affect lines at tourist attractions. I've nver waited in line longer than about 10 minutes at any museum, either, even in July, I just don't go during peak hours. You can get hotel discounts in both July and August at some places, so that shouldn't affect your decision (often after mid-July, though).

Old May 4th, 2001, 11:19 AM
carol

Don't mail Fred for Paris info--he'll charge you $10

Old May 5th, 2001, 06:34 AM
linda

I have been to Paris a number of times, but never in the summer. This July we will be there for a few days at the end of July. We are tagging it on to another trip. I am thinking about going to Giverny. It would have to be on a Sunday afternoon. Does anyone have time to give an opinion as to whether you think it would be worth our effort? I could wait for our next trip, but it is hard to do because we don't know when that will be--only that it will be. I guess I'm impatient! <BR> <BR>Thanks. linda <BR>

Old May 5th, 2001, 07:45 AM
Gary

I don't think you can generalize that Paris is hot in July or August. We were there in mid-July. It never got over 60 degrees, and was generally rainy and overcast!