Search

Paris in January

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2004, 04:39 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris in January

My dad, stepmom and I have found a great deal for an air/hotel package to Paris in January and we are giving it serious consideration. Can anyone tell me please what is different or special about going to Paris in the winter? I already know it will be a lot less expensive, less crowded, and of course much colder. What else can you tell me?
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 04:52 AM

From what I understand winter gives Paris a different perspective. Also there are sales going on.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 05:10 AM

I've never found Paris to be a "lot less expensive" in the winter; maybe some of the very expensive hotels are less, but the little place where I stay charges the same year round. If you already have a great deal on air/hotel, I don't know what else would cost less. The big advantage is fewer tourists.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 05:33 AM

Yes, the only think I can think of that would be somewhat less expensive would be hotel rates, but that's part of your package anyway.
You might just as an exercise try to price the air and hotel pieces on your own, especially if the hotel choices in the package are not optimal.

The other difference in the winter is fewer hours of daylight, and the likelihood of rain or some snow.

I have a file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 09:33 AM

I love travelling to Paris in winter, and have been 3 times. Last year we went in mid-January. Except for airfare (which was under $300 from Dulles!) the prices don't change much. If you found a good deal and want to see Paris, and if you don't mind being out in cold weather, GO!!

It does get dark earlier, temps can range from mild 50-ish to extremely cold, and you can't exactly picnic by the Seine unless you are member of the Polar Bear Club, but it's still Paris- food, museums, scenery, etc.

On the plus side: French seasonal winter food is fabulous, so winter is a great time for foodies. Truffles, game, cassoulet, etc. It is all so hearty and warming, especially when you are in a cozy, charming restaurant with a good bottle of red wine.

All sights are less crowded. There will be some tourists, especially from Asian countries, and Parisians also go out to museums on the weekends, but overall, no crowds. You also get to see cool winter things like chestnut sellers on the corners, fog, snow, the cool way Parisians wear their scarves, etc. Yes, it gets dark MUCH earlier, but Paris is so sparklingly beautiful at night that it doesn't matter.

It is so much easier not to look like a tourist in winter, while still being comfortable: nice coat, hat, scarf, wool or corduroy pants, wool turtleneck, dark walking shoes, voila- you fit right in!

There won't be lots of green around, but Paris is beautiful without it. I suspect that they design the parks to look nice even in winter, because they are still full of Parisians hanging out.

Just bring appropriate clothing (especially a hat and/or ear muffs!) and budget extra money for ducking into cafes to warm up with a coffee or a cognac. Last January we were able to sit outside at a couple of cafes (to get that sidewalk cafe experience) since many of them now have California-style heaters outside. Other cafes also have clear plastic "walls" that surround the sidewalk tables to keep the wind out.

Unless you are really bothered by cold weather- GO!!!!
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 09:56 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your replies. I can see now that I was unclear when I said it's a lot less expensive. What I meant was the trip over all will be a lot less expensive because of the lower airfare and hotel costs. I did price the air and hotel seperately, but still couldn't beat the package deal we found.

Regarding weather, I live in Austin, TX which has loads of sunshine and warm weather, therefore I am not a sun-seeker when I travel. I have been to other parts of Europe in the winter and I was not bothered by the cold. In fact, I am hoping for snow, as I rarely see that here in Austin. I know it will get dark earlier, but that will give us more time to enjoy the lights.

Thanks again for your input!!
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 10:03 AM

sounds like you're set for a great trip.
Just curious, what hotel(s) are in the package?
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 10:18 AM
P_M
Original Poster

There are several being offered, but the ones we are looking at are the Trinite Plaza and Hotel du Centre. Based on their web pages, Trinite Plaza seems a little nicer. I usually don't go for high-priced hotels because I spend so little time in the room anyway. I plan to post another thread later today or maybe tomorrow morning to see if anyone knows about these hotels.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 10:32 AM

I've been to Paris in nearly every month on the calendar and have NEVER not had a fine time. Paris is weather-proof, and typically it does not get real cold for very long - rarely snows, expect overcast skies and temps in 40s. Paris, c'est magnifique at any time of year!
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 11:06 AM

Air fare is a lot less in January, but hotel costs often aren't any less--I suspect the good rate you found is mainly due to lower air fare.

I think the Trinite Plaza is a nice hotel -- from what I've read and heard and seen of it. I like the location and would have considered it for my stay last summer in that area, except it doesn't have AC, so it's nice you can choose hotels without worrying about that.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 12:40 PM
jay

I have been there in the winter. My experience has been that airfare is alot less, the hotels are in the low season and slightly less expensive but everything else is the same.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 12:55 PM

Obviously, there will be bare tree limbs, no flowers in the parks, darker sooner, and colder.
You will have to make up for it with museums, cafes, theater, cinemas and shopping (don't forget to shop in the "passages couvert" which often include little cafes).
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 05:08 PM

Hi P_M.
Can we ask you where did you find this deal? We found www.europeasap.com very good deals as well...Has anyone ever used this site?
Thanks.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 04:23 AM
P_M
Original Poster

I found that on AAvacations.

Just for the heck of it, I priced the same type package on europeasap, and found those deals to be very similar to what I got. However, the Trinite hotel, where we will be staying, was not offered by europeasap so I can't make an exact comparison. I would like to hear comments on this site, maybe you should post a seperate thread about it.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 05:35 AM

I used to travel to Paris often on business- was there a dozen times in January. I've seen the responses above but must add one thing; the weather is pretty crummy that time of year. That's why there are so many good deals around.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 05:43 AM

thanks, this is great! I've been to Paris many times, and, Europe in general in the WINTER many times - but not Paris, yet, in the winter! planning on going either January or February for a long weekend. can't wait to see it all covered in snow (and hopefully not just blustery rain).

also can practice more of my B&W shots...
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 05:52 PM
P_M
Original Poster

I'm fully expecting the weather in January to be crummy. Therefore if we have just one or two nice days, it will be appreciated even more. If we don't, then I won't be disappointed because I wasn't expecting it anyway. Besides, Paris has so many great indoor things to do. And who knows, maybe I'll bump into flygirl if she also goes in January.